Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis becomes THE offense next year...

cscmtp

I am shocked about Coles. I loved his warrior like attitude and heart. But face it, he wasn't the same after hurting his toe. I do have confidence in Jacobs, Gibbs, and our ability to draft and land a good FA WR. But i think even MORE than ever, Portis is going to become THE man in the offense. I think this year, with Jansen back, he could have a Priest Holmes like year. I think he'll lead the league in rushing, TDs, all purpose yards. I really do. This offense will have a passing game, but it will take time to develop, as we'll have completely new players. But i see Portis coming out on fire, read to carry this team on his back. I think the staff will learn how to utilitze this AMAZING talent. So Coles fans, while I can understand you're upset he's gone, we should all thank God we have Clinton Portis! :notworthy :cheers::)

actually less carries for Portis, more opportunities in the receiving game for him and better play from the outside receivers to me is the formula for success for the Redskins in 2005.

If Portis can average 4.5 or 4.6 yards per carry that will be the type of productivity that can really open things up for Ramsey and Co.

We are going to have to move deliberately to shore up the interior OL and work out a deal with Samuels on his future as a Redskin.

Wasn't he our offense last year?

We need to run the ball more effectively.

Lets assume we give Portis 20 carries a game, a reasonable amount. Thats 320 carries throughout the season, give or take.

Now, Portis may not be able to average the 5.5 ypc he did in Denver, but lets say he averages 4.5, which is definitely reasonable amount and he should be averaging at least that much.

320 x 4.5=1440 yards. That's a pretty nice amount.

We also need to throw the ball more to Portis, on some screens and curls up the middle to utilize him in space. Lets say Portis gets 40 catches this season, which is how many he caught last season. He should be able to average 7.5 yards per catch, for he averaged 8.3 in Denver.

40 x 7.5=300 yards receiving. Not bad at all.

Thats about 1700 yards of total offense for Portis, which is about 200 yards more then last season. Should be good enough....

I think we should use more of a two-back system, where Betts is the pounder, and Portis is the speedster. Confuse the heck out of defenses, because they won't know who is doing what. Is it a handoff to Betts, or Portis? Is it a fake to Betts, and a screen to Portis? Is it a fake handoff to Portis, then a fake screen to Betts, and then a throw to Jacobs downfield! woo hoo!

Think of the possibilities! :cheers: :laugh:

Originally posted by TheBeast36

i think that portis didnt do so well(respecitvely) was because they always KNEW we were running!!!! without a key WR Portis is screwed! u can be the best ever but if they know your coming every play they can stop it.

Yeah, but we were only throwing 5-7 yard routes, which means teams could still stack the line, and if they got burned, oh no, it would completed for 8 yards, big deal...Coles could not strech the field anymore, we need someone who will make teams pay for sticking 8 in the box.

Archived