Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Cannot Believe Mortenson Answered My Question About Peter King And Art Monk

Hooper

Originally posted by theposse

I don't think the race thing is a big aspect of this question. It's more about the fact that Monk wasn't that flashy a player and didn't have any TDs in the Super Bowls (although he had one that was incorrectly called out-of-bounds) so somehow people don't remember how important he was in getting them there and even in especially the Bills Super Bowl - early in the game he was carrying the team. But yeah, a ton of key 3rd down receptions for first downs and great blocking and never dropping the ball aren't as easy to remember as say a Lynn Swann spectacular catch in the Super Bowl.

However, those of you saying that race is not at all a factor are being a bit naive, in my opinion. When people talk about white WRs - they tend to compare them to other white WRs. And when a white WR does very well in the NFL - it stands out more because there are not that many successful white WRs these days. I do think there's a valid argument to saying why did Largent make it and not Monk, just as I can say why did Swann make it and not Monk. One is probably quite likely because Swann made some memorable Super Bowl TD catches. The other - maybe not as certainly - but I would buy that Largent was more of a shoe-in - because he was white. Because otherwise the Largent/Monk comparison is basically - Monk had more catches - Largent had more TDs, but Monk had 3 more SB rings. So if Largent makes it - then Monk should make it.

Remember, Lynn Swann was on the ballot for 15 years before he made it into the Hall of Fame. Steve Largent made it on the first ballot.

And guess who was keeping Swann out of the Hall of Fame:

King has repeatedly stated that he won't vote to induct Swann because Lynn only averaged 2.9 catches per game during his career. King went on to say, "I have a hard time putting 19 Steelers in the Hall of Fame."

http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/hof.html

...very interesting...

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

I just really don't think it has anything to do with it. When I look at morons like Michael Irvin who are up this year for induction, & sportscasters making predictions that he could get in this year, I don't think it has anything to do with color. I honestly don't see where there could even be an argument here, either. It's not that I'm not sympathetic, because I am. In fact, believe me, if I felt there was injustice of that nature here, my voice would be heard. I'm not a quiet kind of person.

I know that the League has been trying to rid itself of anything remotely defined as racist so they go as far as fining teams (unwarrentedly if you ask me) $200,000 for not interviewing Black coach candidates.

So, when I look at things like that, it's very difficult for me to say, "You're right. It's a color thing." I see no reason to believe that until someone comes out & shows me evidence that I'm wrong. It's just how I feel about it. I just think it's silly for a thread to make it 4, 5, 6 pages soley based on one single sentence that in my opinion, is out of bounds.

It can NEVER be a RACE issue, as we are ALL human beings, the only RACE there is. :)

Good post, CSA. And I agree with you almost 100%.

I do not think racism is an issue specifically with Art Monk not getting into the Hall of Fame. I truly do not think that Monk's color comes into play with King, Pasta, or any of the other voters, as Redman points out. But, by the same token, it did tweak my conscience to consider the hypothetical question whether a white WR with a career like Monk's - with the 3 big WR records, 3 SB's, outstanding citizen, gets viewed differently. It's a little more subtle than saying "If Monk were white, he would be in."

Anyway, I really don't think race is a major factor in the NFL. It is as it should be - if you can play, you're in. When you can't play, you're gone. Color is out of that equation.

What we can all agree on is that Art Monk deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Archived