Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At least Bailey let his intentions known earlier....

NoCalMike

I don't want to get too down on Smoot, I mean it isn't like he has signed with anyone else or anything, and he did IMO step up his game this season, but ya know what. At least with Bailey he kind of let us know all throughout last season that it would be his last in DC and there really were no questions by us besides.....Trade or Franchise tag in hopes of some draft picks. With Smoot though if he does indeed leave over money, I for one am going to be hurt a little. All season long all that has come out of his mouth is how he loves playing here, loves this defense, loves Greg Williams scheme, and how he feels he is a Redskins and wants to stay here. Then suddenly about two weeks ago, it is like the harsh reality of today's sports athlete came crashing down, and Smoot is "pessimistic" about resigning? I mean WTF, come on. Why? What, are we not offering a big enough signing bonus or what? I just want to know how big of a contract we are offering that is being considered an "insult" to Smoot and his agent. I dunno, I know Smoot isn't a Top 5 CB, and honestly, on coverage alone probably barely cracks the Top 10, but I thought he was going to be different about this situation then so many other athletes. :doh:

That which you know I don't know.

On coverage, Smoot may have been the best in football this year. He seems to have solidified himself the last couple of years as a legitimate top corner in the league. Most teams rarely test him. He has given up one touchdown in two years. I'm not sure how he isn't as good in coverage as he appears to be to you.

He's worth the Springs level of signing bonus and a little more in my view since he's been so good for us and been pretty cheap so far. I don't think we know yet what the details of his requests versus our offers are. We will soon enough. I'd be surprised if he isn't retained.

I've been surprised before, of course. But, if we do lose Smoot, it hurts the team because he's a legitimate Top 5 corner right now.

Originally posted by Art

That which you know I don't know.

On coverage, Smoot may have been the best in football this year. He seems to have solidified himself the last couple of years as a legitimate top corner in the league. Most teams rarely test him. He has given up one touchdown in two years. I'm not sure how he isn't as good in coverage as he appears to be to you.

He's worth the Springs level of signing bonus and a little more in my view since he's been so good for us and been pretty cheap so far. I don't think we know yet what the details of his requests versus our offers are. We will soon enough. I'd be surprised if he isn't retained.

I've been surprised before, of course. But, if we do lose Smoot, it hurts the team because he's a legitimate Top 5 corner right now.

I just don't know though. Before we signed Springs, we all figured we would definately find out this year if Smoot would have what it takes to get to the next level, and while I do believe he has stepped up his game a lot, I still think Springs has been better in coverage, usually assigned to a teams primary receiver. Also, Smoot's tackling or lack thereof still remains an issue. Like I said, I am not really down on Smoot's play on the field at all, I just think that he was never required to lock into the role he was originally going to have to take, had we not signed Springs and well Springs going onto to resurrect his play to his probowl years.

I think mostly, I am just interested into seeing just how much of a different the offer and counter offer are, and what Smoot would be willing to walk away over. If the two sides are way off, then I could understand, but if it is over a million or two tacked onto a signing bonus, I don't understand why a compromise couldn't be made by either side.

Of course knowing Smoot's good nature and trash talking personality. They could roll out a brand new contract tomorrow and then he could go on DC/Maryland sports news and say "haha I punked all of you guys....of course I was gonna resign, I told you...I AM A REDSKIN~!"

Archived