Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Setting Themselves Up for Disaster

SNEET

Who is the Redskins' defensive player of the year?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Redskins' defensive player of the year?

• Ryan Clark
    • Cornelius Griffin
    • Antonio Pierce
    • Fred Smoot
    • Shawn Springs
    • Sean Taylor
    • Marcus Washington

I'm sorry, but the Eagles will lose in the playoffs, for the 4th straight year. And a large part of it will be due to Andy Reid's RETARDED decision to rest McNabb and basically give the whole team the last two weeks off.

Look at Bill Belichick (who knows a thing or two about winning Super Bowls)... he played Tom Brady for 3 quarters yesterday and demanded a win, regardless of the situation. Mora played Vick also.

Momentum is everything in this game. And the Eagles have now lost two straight games (and barely squeaked by Redskins and Cowboys before that). Terrell Owens is gone. And by the time the Eagles play again, Donovan McNabb will have gone a month without playing a down.

I guarantee the Eagles will fall. And I will personally fly up to Philly and laugh in the face of every obnoxious, classless, low-rent Eagles fan.

:eaglesuck

I was in Philly yesterday (Free tickets in the endzone) I couldn't pass them up.

I felt so dirty sitting in that stadium. :doh:

However, The Eagles fans that I talked to, and there were alot of them share your sentiment. I actually had a good time listening to the fans ****ing while Kitna tore the Eagles a new one.

For the most part the fans were decent until towards the end of the game. Then they got a little "chippy". Many of them are expecting the Eagles to fail.

Originally posted by MeNoRevs

Say he rested his whole team during the Cowboys game, they would still have T.O.

Why even put your players in that kinda situation to get hurt?

They had to win that game to get home field throughout the playoffs. And why play football if you're scared to get hurt. I'm with Posse. Momentum is huge in football and Philly will have none of it. I love Belichick's comment to Tim Green on the Fox Pregame roundup of each game. Green said he asked Belichick if he'd rest his players like Andy Reid did last week, and Belichick said "in his own words" that they weren't the Eagles. That's why the Pats have won 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls and the Eagles keep losing the big games.

For the past 2 years, the Eagles have had to "play to win" up until the last game of the season & that hasn't exactly given them any "momentum" either. In fact, they looked pretty lethargic in all of their playoff games those years. What it did give them last year was a broken leg for their starting OLB & a torn triceps to their best RB.

The best year they had so far was in 2001, when they rested their starters & blew through the Bucs & Bears before losing a close one to the Rams.

If they lose this year, its not because their starters are rested.

Originally posted by posse

And I will personally fly up to Philly and laugh in the face of every obnoxious, classless, low-rent Eagles fan.

and yet your post just screams "class"

It's a no win situation.... had Reid played some of the key player and there had been injuries people would say how stupid he was for playing them. Seeing Michael Lewis lying on the field for a few minutes was all I needed to see to agree w/ Reid.

by the way..... didn't Gibbs "rest" some players the final few weeks of your last SuperBowl year in '91 ???? In fact, didn't the Skins lose to the Eagles in a "meaning less" game the last game of the season..... Wow, by your logic they should have been done in the playoffs for losing all their momentum, huh ? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by MeNoRevs

Say he rested his whole team during the Cowboys game, they would still have T.O.

Why even put your players in that kinda situation to get hurt?

Becuase they still have to play the game. I can understand resting your players somewhat, but not even letting them start the game is overdoing it. There are several teams that STARED their starters, to keep them sharp, but pulled between the 2nd & 3rd qtrs. I think that Reid pulling his weapons out for the last 2 games of the season to avoid injury will inevitably be their downfall in the post-season. His paranoia will cost them big.

Boy this is funny.When I said pretty much the same thing,I got blasted for it.I didn't have a problem with them resting there guys yesterday but I did have a problem with them being rested last week against the Rams,a full month before there first playoff game.

Originally posted by TerpsEagles

It's a no win situation.... had Reid played some of the key player and there had been injuries people would say how stupid he was for playing them. Seeing Michael Lewis lying on the field for a few minutes was all I needed to see to agree w/ Reid.

by the way..... didn't Gibbs "rest" some players the final few weeks of your last SuperBowl year in '91 ???? In fact, didn't the Skins lose to the Eagles in a "meaning less" game the last game of the season..... Wow, by your logic they should have been done in the playoffs for losing all their momentum, huh ? :rolleyes:

Looks like they at least played some:

"Washington was ahead 19-7 and appeared to be cruising towards a win, but Philadelphia rallied for 17 fourth-quarter points behind quarterback Jeff Kemp and Roger Ruzek kicked the game-winning field goal with 13 seconds remaining.

The only thing the Redskins could accomplish here was an NFL-record tying 15th win during the regular season. As the game on the hard artificial surface wore on, that goal became secondary to keeping the front-line players healthy for the playoffs and Joe Gibbs began to pull his starters, including Mark Rypien and Charles Mann.

Jim Lachey summed up the general feeling: “We all hate to lose, but the object is to win in January.”

Edit: Courtesy of Rich Tandler, author of "Redskins A to Z" and the new book "GutCheck"

Originally posted by riggins44

I saw somewhere yesterday that no team has lost it's last two games and made the Super Bowl.

Reid should have played his starters a series or two just to keep

everyone in sync.

Only 2 teams in history has lost its last 2 games and made it to the Superbowl.The 72-73 Skins and the 64 packers I think.

Originally posted by CrazyZeb

Looks like they at least played some:

"Washington was ahead 19-7 and appeared to be cruising towards a win, but Philadelphia rallied for 17 fourth-quarter points behind quarterback Jeff Kemp and Roger Ruzek kicked the game-winning field goal with 13 seconds remaining.

The only thing the Redskins could accomplish here was an NFL-record tying 15th win during the regular season. As the game on the hard artificial surface wore on, that goal became secondary to keeping the front-line players healthy for the playoffs and Joe Gibbs began to pull his starters, including Mark Rypien and Charles Mann.

Jim Lachey summed up the general feeling: “We all hate to lose, but the object is to win in January.”

Edit: Courtesy of Rich Tandler, author of "Redskins A to Z" and the new book "GutCheck"

:cheers:

They will still be practicing. There would still have been a bye week in between games either way. I am not worried about momentum. The Eagles will face either Seattle, Minn., or the Rams IN Philly in their first playoff game. Philly is far better than ANY of those teams. Some people act like the Eagles are going to just sit around and eat chips and dip until their first game....

and as for that stat about losing your last 2 games stuff.... guess that rules out the Atlanta Vicks too, huh ?

CrazyZeb has it right. Gibbs didn't "Pull his starters" untill the 2nd half of the week 17 game against Philly. After being up and dominating 19-7. The only stat of note the Skins wanted was the single season sacks against record. Rypien was only sacked 6 times all season going into the week 17 contest vs. Philly. The Eagles got 3 sacks making the Skins miss that record, but giving up only 9 sacks "IN A SEASON" is remarkable! To remain sharp at what you do, you must have repitetion. "Practice makes perfect" is the old proverb. Don't have high expectations in Philly.

Originally posted by Redsk58417

To remain sharp at what you do, you must have repitetion. "Practice makes perfect" is the old proverb. Don't have high expectations in Philly.

I wasn't aware that Reid cancelled all practices leading up to their first playoff game. ;)

Seriously, do you all honestly think that having McNabb and a few others play 2-3 series in meaningless games 2 weeks before their first playoff game will be their downfall ??? Sounds like a whole lot of Philly hating hope to me....

I wasn't aware that Reid cancelled all practices leading up to their first playoff game. ;)

Seriously, do you all honestly think that having McNabb and a few others play 2-3 series in meaningless games 2 weeks before their first playoff game will be their downfall ??? Sounds like a whole lot of Philly hating hope to me....

I don't know about their downfall, but I think it would have been helpful to get the offense some work without TO.

:cheers:

They will still be practicing. There would still have been a bye week in between games either way. I am not worried about momentum. The Eagles will face either Seattle, Minn., or the Rams IN Philly in their first playoff game. Philly is far better than ANY of those teams. Some people act like the Eagles are going to just sit around and eat chips and dip until their first game....

and as for that stat about losing your last 2 games stuff.... guess that rules out the Atlanta Vicks too, huh ?

The starters still played most of the game and were winning when they left the game. And practice is a little different than playing a game, especially since Andy Reid probably has them running around in skirts on the practice field. They're not going to be as sharp as they would had Reid given them several series in the last 2 games for McNabb to get comfortable playing without 40+% of their offense.

As for the Falcons, Vick at least played a quarter and a half, and they were up 10-7 when he left, to a playoff team on the road. And Crumpler was still hurt too, I believe.

Originally posted by CrazyZeb

I don't know about their downfall, but I think it would have been helpful to get the offense some work without TO.

and I can't really say I disagree with you.... but I still think they win handily in their first game and this all becomes a non-issue.

Originally posted by rdsknbill

TE,

There were alot of Eagles fan at the game yesterday that don't share your optimism.

That doesn't surprise me...... I myself sometimes slip into the "Negadelphian" way of thinking.... it's innevitable sometimes.... comes from watching decades of seasons end they way they have.... :mad:

and I'll be honest with you... if this was last year or the year before, I would also probably not be this optimistic.... but the NFC as a whole is just not nearly as strong a conference.... now please don't take that the wrong way... I'm not saying the Eagles can't or won't be beaten before the Super Bowl.... (again, decades of being an Eagles die hard prohibit me from saying that;) ) but of the three teams they can face in their first game, Seattle, Rams, or Minn.... none of them strike fear in me in a game in Philly..... and I think this Eagles team has been together too long and are too focused to have a problem "gelling" as a team or being rusty.... I could be wrong.... I hope I'm not.... time will tell...

I dunno the Eagles "Downfall" but what is practiced has to be translated "ON THE FIELD" not on the side lines on game days. I never said "I hate Philly!" I dislike some of their fans behavior however. Maybe its that "I'm better than you" attitude that some Eagles fans have. Its like some Eagles fans think that other Team fans are "BENEATH" them. But that's the fans, i'm talking team here. The "TEAM" needs to play! Not half heartedly play and play scared of getting hurt. Which was the case for the last 3 or 4 weeks. You can argue it, but there is an argument going both ways here. Playing that way is like saying "We can turn it on WHENEVER we want to!" That! Is the attitude most of us "DO NOT" like! That is the loathed ****iness I was talking about. Pitt doesn't act that way, nor does Indy, or NE. Just Philly. Like the old Nike slogan "Just do it!"

Archived