Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where will Kurt Warner start in 05? (Not Washington)

@DCGoldPants

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3282746

Warner feels he can start at QB elsewhere

Tom Canavan / Associated Press

Posted: 4 minutes ago

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - Two-time MVP quarterback Kurt Warner plans to leave the New York Giants after this season rather than remain a backup to Eli Manning.

"I am not going to be content being a backup, that's just the bottom line," Warner said Wednesday. "I loved my year here, but I am not content being a backup. I think I showed people and did things here and won games and that I have proven I can play and start in this league."

Warner, 33, said the Giants know how he feels.

"I think that everybody's thought process right now is I want to be somewhere starting next year, and they know it's not here with the New York Giants," said Warner, the one-time Arena League player who led the St. Louis Rams to two Super Bowl appearances, including a championship after the 1999 season.

While Warner signed a two-year contract with the team in June, he has met the criteria necessary to void the final year of the deal.

Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi refused to comment on Warner's contract status.

Warner, who beat out Manning for the starting job in training camp, led the Giants to a 5-2 start. He was replaced by the No. 1 pick overall in the NFL draft after losses to Chicago and Arizona and the team has failed to win a game with Manning at quarterback.

Warner came to New York as somewhat of a question mark. He suffered a concussion in a season-opening loss to the Giants in 2003 and lost his starting job to Marc Bulger.

The Rams gave Bulger a long-term contract and released Warner on June 1. The Giants signed him the following day to be a caretaker until Manning was ready.

Warner, who had been bothered by injuries in recent years, completed 174-of-277 passes for 2,054 yards, six touchdowns and four interceptions. He had a respectable 86.5 passer rating.

"My whole goal was to show people I could throw the football, I could lead and I could win," Warner said. "I think I showed people I could do that. Coming in, nobody had any expectations for this football team and to be a leader of a team that was 5-2 and had the second best record in the NFC, I'm happy with that."

Warner also showed he could be a team player.

After Manning was given the starting job, Warner never once complained. He constantly offered Manning advice and was the biggest cheerleader on the sidelines.

Since being replaced as a starter, Warner has appeared only in a a mop-up role against Baltimore. He immediately led the Giants on a touchdown drive.

Warner said he hasn't concentrated on which teams need a starting quarterback next season, but he mentioned Dallas, Chicago and Miami as possibilities.

Warner said he feels for Manning, who is now winless in six starts heading into the season finale at Giants Stadium against the Dallas Cowboys (6-9) on Sunday night.

"You see his play continually improving week-in, week-out, and you know he is at the point where he just wants to get a victory," Warner said. "He just wants something to go in our favor, for us to make that one play that will make the difference in a game and get win and build off that."

I'm going to say "Arizona". I think they have the WR's that can go deep, and Denny Green likes that type of play.

2nd place....... San Fran

Originally posted by Ironhide

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3282746

I'm going to say "Arizona". I think they have the WR's that can go deep, and Denny Green likes that type of play.

2nd place....... San Fran

I can see those teams as the top two candidates, with Cleveland, Miami, Oakland, Dallas and perhaps Tennessee (if McNair retires) in the mix as well.

Originally posted by Riggotoni

I guess you didn't read the post - he has a clause that lets him void the 2nd year, thus making him an UFA.

you are correct - I skimmed. I didn't realize it was his choice.

As far as him wanting to be a starter, Arizona is probably the only place that would let him compete. - I could see them signing him and drafting a QB high...just like NYG did this year.

All of the teams that are in need of quarterback are rebuilding. Why waste time with a has-been when you can be developing another quarterback? We can only hope Dallas, but I doubt it. I think Arizona is the only fit for him, that is, if they get themselves a Left Tackle this offseason.

Originally posted by JeffSchmeff

Hmm. Coughlin coached Brunell in Jacksonville. I wonder how hard it would be to somehow restructure Brunell then trade him to NY for Warner? Did Coughlin and Brunell get along?

:doh: Come on dude. You can't possibly be that stupid, can you?

Originally posted by tizzod

:doh: Come on dude. You can't possibly be that stupid, can you?

Main Entry: sar·casm

Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m

Function: noun

Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut

1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>

2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm>

Who's the stupid one? ;)

Archived