Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs' run-blocking schemes

E-Dog Night

Someone posted on another board that he thought Gibbs wasn't running the zone-stretch plays for Portis lately and was just running the counter trey.

I didn't think so, but it's not something I keep score of either. I feel like Gibbs is running the zone-stretch plays and also isn't running a pure counter trey too often. I've definitely noticed that there aren’t too many plays where both Guard and Tackle pull. It seems like he's often running a modified version where only one lineman pulls in order to make sure that the DE doesn't blow the play up from the back side.

I've also noticed that sometimes the H-back runs into the same area that the tackle used to pull to, creating a similar effect as the old counter trey ala two blockers moving to one side in tandem.

Just wondering if anyone was keeping a closer eye on this than me, or just had any thoughts in general.

Gibbs is definitely changing plays and modifying them as the season has progressed. With that being said, he certainly is still using the pure counter trey. In the last game, I can easily recall him running it at least 8 times.

I just don't think this play is effective anymore in today's NFL. Everyone on the defense is quicker and defenses blow up the play before it actually happens. With a smaller back like Portis, you have someone who can go down more easily if a lineman gets through.

With that being said, I think he should run it just a few times in a game.

I just don't think this play is effective anymore in today's NFL. Everyone on the defense is quicker and defenses blow up the play before it actually happens.

I'd have to agree with you there. Back in the 80s, there might have been a half dozen or so DEs that had the speed to stop that play from the back side. Today, there are maybe a half dozen team that don't.

Also, the play can also be blown up with speed at the point of attack, since it takes so long to develop. You have LBs crashing through the middle of the line and clogging possible running lanes, and safeties coming up to keep Portis from bouncing to the outside.

It seems best to try & get Portis past the line as quickly as possible and let him make a move.

I think Portis will easily put up 1400 yards for seasons to come. However, its the points that matter, he only has 5 rushing td's I believe, which I guess is better than what we had before, but he had like 15 the last 2 seasons, plus more than 1 receiving td (granted the Packers game). Anyways, next season, even if he only gets 1300 yards, if he has 15 tds and a ypc higher than 5 id be happy.

Archived