Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jansen / IR Reactivation

radagast5

Weird loop-hole question.

Jansen's recent comments that he could probably play now if he was not on IR, spurred an interesting scenario in my head.

Once a player is placed on IR (like Jansen was), he cannot return to play that season, *unless* he's traded to another team.

That got me to thinking. Hypothetically, what if a team like the Dolphins made a handshake agreement, or even one in writing, that traded one of their IR players like David Boston, to the Redskins for Jon Jansen. In that case, as I understand it, both Boston and Jansen would be able to play.

Then, the 'Skins and Dolphins trade the players back and Boston and Jansen can take the field for their original teams. Disregarding salary cap issues, is there anything in the league rules that would prevent Boston and Jansen from returning to the playing field?

I realize the league has to approve trades and would easily see through the ruse and put the kibosh on the whole stunt, but I am curious as to whether the rules strictly forbid this.

Originally posted by ShonyX

The NFL doesn't let sneaky crap like that go by. We would have the trade rejected by the league and we would probably be fined.

Why would we want Jansen back this year, anyway? Let him heal while we shoot for our 6 wins.

I'm in no way advocating this stunt. I was just wondering if it was technically within the rules to do it.

Originally posted by radagast5

Weird loop-hole question.

Jansen's recent comments that he could probably play now if he was not on IR, spurred an interesting scenario in my head.

Once a player is placed on IR (like Jansen was), he cannot return to play that season, *unless* he's traded to another team.

That got me to thinking. Hypothetically, what if a team like the Dolphins made a handshake agreement, or even one in writing, that traded one of their IR players like David Boston, to the Redskins for Jon Jansen. In that case, as I understand it, both Boston and Jansen would be able to play.

Then, the 'Skins and Dolphins trade the players back and Boston and Jansen can take the field for their original teams. Disregarding salary cap issues, is there anything in the league rules that would prevent Boston and Jansen from returning to the playing field?

I realize the league has to approve trades and would easily see through the ruse and put the kibosh on the whole stunt, but I am curious as to whether the rules strictly forbid this.

And you are totally forgetting Salary cap accceleration and every other cap issue involved with something like that.

Originally posted by Oleskinlvr

I was a fan of the Skins all the years Joe was the head guy the first time around.

His depth of integrity would NEVER allow him to allow this "bush league" action !!

He is a straight shooter folks.

He wants to win but NOT THIS WAY.

HTTR

;) Psst. Joe and the Redskins-era you speak of were famous for stashing players on IR with phantom injuries so the Redskins could protect their interests while playing with more seasoned veterans. Don't tell. :cool:

Originally posted by panel

Actually, there is a process that you can bring a player back from IR if he was placed there before the season started.

I think.

You are thinking of the PUP list, which is similar in that the injured player doesn't count as a roster spot. I think then they can come back in week 6.

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

And you are totally forgetting Salary cap accceleration and every other cap issue involved with something like that.

No, I'm not forgetting the cap. That's why I *specifically* stated "Disregarding salary cap issues..." I thought, I'd made a pretty clear point about that.

To clarify, I don't advocate this stunt. I don't want Jansen back out on the field. I simply was wondering if the league had specific rules prohibiting it.

Originally posted by Oleskinlvr

I was a fan of the Skins all the years Joe was the head guy the first time around.

His depth of integrity would NEVER allow him to allow this "bush league" action !!

He is a straight shooter folks.

He wants to win but NOT THIS WAY.

HTTR

I never thought Gibbs would try the stunt. I think it's a silly maneuver. I was simply asking if anyone knew if it was permissable under league rules.

Sheesh! The things people read into this stuff....

Originally posted by gridironmike

;) Psst. Joe and the Redskins-era you speak of were famous for stashing players on IR with phantom injuries so the Redskins could protect their interests while playing with more seasoned veterans. Don't tell. :cool:

You know, that "fact" is trotted out all the time. But who got stashed there? Anyone know any specific players who were hidden away on this magical IR list?

If i remember correctly, the rules state that any player placed on IR can not play again that season for the TEAM that placed him on IR... Example:

A couple years ago, Kato Serwanga was placed on IR by the Skins but healed up and was healthy by late in the season and he wanted a chance to play. So the SKins released him and he went to the Giants and helped them beat us with good ST plays. I remember it being discussed then that the rules specifically stated that a released player could not play for the team that originally placed him on IR again for the rest of the season.

Archived