Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible offensive lineup next season

dfbovey

QB - Patrick Ramsey

HB - Clinton Portis

H-back - Chris Cooley

TE - Anthony Becht (Aquire from the Jets)

WR - Laverneus Coles

WR - Mike Williams (First round draft choice)

LT - Chris Samuels (restructured deal)

LG - Derrick Dockery (give him time to develop)

C - Hmmmmmmmmm.... gotta think on this one

RG - Randy Thomas

RT - Jon Jansen (Back from injury)

I haven't researched enough as to who might be available in free agency or who might project in the 3rd round as a Center. It's a definate need though and I wouldn't want Raymer starting next season.

Mike Williams would give us the consistant possession WR that Gardner hasn't been.

Combine Becht with Cooley and you have what looks like a modern day Warren/ Didier combo. Becht is big and is a very good run blocker. And I think the Jets will have a hard time keeping him. They have to worry about Abraham.

Before you jump on me over how much we need a DE. Here's some food for thought:

1- Lavar Arrington was going to be our DE in pass rushing situations this year. And in that role he is more than capable of having 10-14 sack seasons.

2- Chris Clemons has been a diamond in the rough, and if we keep him he could also be used in this role. And combining him with Arrington gives us some flexability. We could line Clemons up as a DE and have Arrington at LB or vice versa.

Originally posted by dfbovey

QB - Patrick Ramsey

HB - Clinton Portis

H-back - Chris Cooley

TE - Anthony Becht (Aquire from the Jets)

WR - Laverneus Coles

WR - Mike Williams (First round draft choice)

LT - Chris Samuels (restructured deal)

LG - Derrick Dockery (give him time to develop)

C - Hmmmmmmmmm.... gotta think on this one

RG - Randy Thomas

RT - Jon Jansen (Back from injury)

I haven't researched enough as to who might be available in free agency or who might project in the 3rd round as a Center. It's a definate need though and I wouldn't want Raymer starting next season.

Mike Williams would give us the consistant possession WR that Gardner hasn't been.

Combine Becht with Cooley and you have what looks like a modern day Warren/ Didier combo. Becht is big and is a very good run blocker. And I think the Jets will have a hard time keeping him. They have to worry about Abraham.

Before you jump on me over how much we need a DE. Here's some food for thought:

1- Lavar Arrington was going to be our DE in pass rushing situations this year. And in that role he is more than capable of having 10-14 sack seasons.

2- Chris Clemons has been a diamond in the rough, and if we keep him he could also be used in this role. And combining him with Arrington gives us some flexability. We could line Clemons up as a DE and have Arrington at LB or vice versa.

I hope you're right about Mike Williams.

I really don't see the Skins having a high enough draft choice for Williams. Most likely we will go 2-1 and have a good shot at winning out the rest of our games. Look for our pick to be in the 10-15 range. Who knows though we could also easily go 1-2 as well. I wouldn't mind looking at Williams, but it wouldn't be worth to trade up for him.

Originally posted by RabidFan

Weren't the Jets trying to send us Becht along with Lamont Jordan for Bailey this offseason.....and we really weren't into Becht?

I think that the Skins thought:

Portis > Becht/Jordan

And I would have to agree.

Jordan isn't any better than Betts and wouldn't have been an improvement for us. Becht would have been nice, but that would have been a lopsided trade in their favor.

bye bye 50/50 anyways. Second, can people please focus on our dline still? People seem to be going away from that again. Look at the first quarter against the Eagles, and a lot of plays after that, McFlab had tooo much time to throw, now we bring in the pass rushing rookie, we need the pressure. You make a good claim that Lavar would be our pass rusher, but, would it reall make sense to use him as a down lineman when he excells at LB? Second, rushing both Lavar and a pressure front 4 would do wonders.

Mike Williams, whatever, he'd be nice, but a luxury right now, lets try and see what D-Mac and Jacobs can do first. Dockery can still go. For Center, I think the best prospect is slated to go in the 2nd round, so we may be able to get him. Also, there has been talk of Jason Ball.

Originally posted by Mr. S

Second, can people please focus on our dline still? People seem to be going away from that again. Look at the first quarter against the Eagles, and a lot of plays after that, McFlab had tooo much time to throw, now we bring in the pass rushing rookie, we need the pressure. You make a good claim that Lavar would be our pass rusher, but, would it reall make sense to use him as a down lineman when he excells at LB? Second, rushing both Lavar and a pressure front 4 would do wonders.

Lavar does excel as a LB, but he had his best year when he was asked to play both roles, and that is what Williams was going to do with him this year. I could see them addressing the DL in round one, but with the offense struggling as much as it has been, and most of the attention last off season spent on the defense... I could easily see the front office focus on offense this offseason.

Mike Williams, whatever, he'd be nice, but a luxury right now, lets try and see what D-Mac and Jacobs can do first. Dockery can still go. For Center, I think the best prospect is slated to go in the 2nd round, so we may be able to get him. Also, there has been talk of Jason Ball.

Jason Ball would be a nice option if he is healthy next year.

To those who think we need a tight end, my question is, doesn't Cooley essentially qualify in that role? Simply that he's pretty versatile doesn't mean he's NOT a tight end. I doubt we're going to add another pass catching type when we value blocking so.

I also can't imagine we'll draft a receiver in the first round when we are a legitimate pass rushing threat on the defensive line away from being a potentially GREAT defense. The offense will come together. Give it time.

More important than personnel changes is how Gibbs starts looking calling plays from here out. He's shown some ability to generate offense the last couple of weeks. We need to show that for three more to really solidify things.

In the end, I'd rather ADD NO ONE ALL offseason than lose the wrong people out of reactionary effort.

Originally posted by Taylor Made

I really don't see the Skins having a high enough draft choice for Williams. Most likely we will go 2-1 and have a good shot at winning out the rest of our games. Look for our pick to be in the 10-15 range. Who knows though we could also easily go 1-2 as well. I wouldn't mind looking at Williams, but it wouldn't be worth to trade up for him.

You could draft Edwards from Michigan with out having that much of a drop off in talent.

Originally posted by Art

To those who think we need a tight end, my question is, doesn't Cooley essentially qualify in that role? Simply that he's pretty versatile doesn't mean he's NOT a tight end. I doubt we're going to add another pass catching type when we value blocking so.

IMO, Becht would fit in very well as a Don Warren type run blocker at the TE position. He's 270+ and is a very good blocker. He has decent skills as receiver which would be a bonus.

IMO, we need someone to couple with Cooley. Wouldn't hurt to have an upgrade over Royal.

In the end, I'd rather ADD NO ONE ALL offseason than lose the wrong people out of reactionary effort.

By wrong people, do you mean Rod Gardner?

By wrong people I don't necessarily have that list.

MY LIST would be guys like Dockery, Royal -- notice, things have improved since he entered the lineup with more regularity -- and Sellers. Gardner is a guy who doesn't appear to be as good a fit as you might have expected in this offense since we refuse to throw deep at all to him.

Even Raymer might be worth keeping around. This team would be better suited doing absolutely nothing in the offseason but standing pat and letting the guys grow together than doing too much and adding transition time.

Originally posted by Mufumonk

This was actually by design.

EXACTLY.

We RARELY blitzed against the Eagles. We played heavy coverage schemes and we sought to maintain a pocket on McNabb to prevent a roll out or run. We were very good at limiting him in this. He did have a ton of time to throw. But, he didn't really do all that much with the time, in terms of picking us apart.

This team would waste a pick by taking Mike Williams. It would be the same old - go for the sexy name thing. If they are looking for a possession receiver they already have one - McCants. He just cannot get into the line up with 50/50 still on the team.

Instead the team should draft a DE in the first round - with a OL or two in the 3rd and 4th round (or maybe trade up to get a one in the 2nd Round).

I like everyone except Raymer and dockery.

We already have a tight end Koslowski (sp?)

We can pick up some free agents for the offensive or defensive

line pretty cheap, but the continuity of the offensive line is

what concerns me. Maybe another year under Bugel the oline can gel.

The d-line is good, the people we have filling in are doing great

remember the injuries we have I forget who they are put people we signed I like the samoan what is his name?

We need a return man for sure a rookie.

As the draft goes find the late rounders for backups like we did this year.

Remember we have two rookie offensive linemen.

I do think Gardner is on the chopping block.

Originally posted by Art

By wrong people I don't necessarily have that list.

MY LIST would be guys like Dockery, Royal -- notice, things have improved since he entered the lineup with more regularity -- and Sellers. Gardner is a guy who doesn't appear to be as good a fit as you might have expected in this offense since we refuse to throw deep at all to him.

Even Raymer might be worth keeping around. This team would be better suited doing absolutely nothing in the offseason but standing pat and letting the guys grow together than doing too much and adding transition time.

Exactly what I have been thinking. Maybe a change at C. Maybe. And maybe add a legit short yardage back but other than that stand pat. Get Coles the offseason surgery he needs. Get Jansen back (this will be big enough in the "change" catagory has he had little time with Buges in this scheme before the injury). And maybe redefine the roles of the current WRs on the roster (McCants would get more time in Gardner's spot).

Nothing major. Let it gel.

I really dont' like the idea of drafting Mike Williams. I feel that a healthy Coles as the #1 WR and either McCants or Jacobs as the #2 could be quite effective. Gardner, I think we need to get rid of. The man just seems to lack heart. Maybe, if we're lucky, we could get a mid to late round draft pick for him in a trade.

I'm not really familar with Becht but I think a blocking TE shouldn't be hard to come by. Possibly we could even use a late round draft pick on a undersized, quick offensive tackle and convert him. The blocking TE just doesn't seem like a huge concern for me-I think that we're not in horrible condition at the postion right now, so we could afford to draft a player for that position and not expect him to start immediately.

I kinda like the idea of B.Edwards as he would be about right at the spot we'd draft. He's pretty quick if I am correct, and I believe he has tons of potential. The only thing about him is we have two other young receivers I could say the same things about. I wouldn't mind him being the #1 pick if the pickins at D-line are slim...

If Mike Williams is there when we pick, He will be a skin. I dont think there will be hesitation. I just doubt he will be there. If he is though, he alone would make our DL line's pass rush look better b/c they would be playing more with their ears pinned back.

Archived