Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can We Afford Smoot

Bozman777

We will find a way to sign Fred and make it worth all the effort that he has put out for this team, the man is all heart and what we would like out of a true Redskin.

As far as AP goes, the guy has been the Qb of our D this year, I would hate to lose him.

I wish I could understand the cap better, but I don't, he has done a great job for us this year.:cheers:

Originally posted by HeHateMe

He will be tagged if he doesnt resign.

So it shouldnt matter.

I dont think we can use the tag again since Champ never signed a contract with us. I'm fairly sure, since Champ was trade before he signed a deal with us, we have to wait a year.

Originally posted by Neophyte

We found a player who is doing a great job of filling in for Barrow. I am not sold that Pierce is Barrow's equal. I think this defense could have been better with Barrow in the middle.

Not that I am unhappy with the job Pierce has done, mind you.

The factor for me would be youth. Barrow has 1 or 2 years left in the tank at best. Pierce could be a long term solution.

They have the ability to slap Smoot with the Franchise tag rules wise but they don't have the ability to do it cap wise. As soon as they designate him as a FP the full amount of the tender counts against the cap which would be in the 7-8M range. Last year they were able to create 11M of cap space by cutting 4 players who were dead weight but this year they would have to cut into the meat of the team to create the space to tag him. I believe if he actually reaches FA without an extension he'll be gone....maybe even to Dallas.

Originally posted by HoGz - For - Life

Um.. Danny can do very little about our Cap... That Brunell signing royally screwed us..

not really. He's only taking up 2 million of cap room each year for the next couple years. The majority of his contract is in the last two years.

Originally posted by cfujskins

Don't mean to change the subject, but Wow, Am I the only one that actually LIKES Chad Morton?

I like Morton too, but its starting to look like him and maybe Rock don't really fit well with this team. - Morton was signed to be not only a returner, but an occasional offensive weapon with Spurrier, which he is not in this offense, leaving him as an expensive return man in a special teams unit who can't block very well for anyone. I really liked what John Simon showed in pre-season and the end of last season. - I think he could be our special teams guy and a 3rd down back, ala Brian Mitchell.

- IF Rock can put on some weight in the off-season he might be able to find his niche, which is why I think Gibbs held on to him this year. - Regardless, we need a short yardage guy before opening day of next year.

He will be signed and locked up long term before the FA market opens.

know this.

Fred Smoot is the type of leader and Redskin that we wanted Champ Bailey to be. Since Champ has left and Fred has lined up with more big time WR's. He's held his own.

The duo of Fred Smoot and Shawn Springs are at least in the top 3 for the whole NFL.

Don't discount that....... we need it.

Originally posted by Skinsfan1966

actually Brunell is a $3.433 mil hit to the cap next year and $5.433 mil in 2006

according to the NFLPA website, he has a base salary of 760,000 plus a prorated bonus charge of 1.2 million.

In 2005: 1.5 million plus the prorated bonus charge

2006: 4 million plus prorated bonus charge

2007: 5.2 million plus prorated bonus charge

2008: 6.4 million plus prorated bonus charge

2009: 7.6 million plus pro-rated bonus charge

2010: 8.8 million plus pro-rated bonus charge

Now, he'll be gone after 2005. So 32 million in base salary, the skins will never pay. Thats out of a contract of 43 million. Out of the 11 million left that we've giving him, 8 million is in a bonus. So it's basically a 2 year, 11 million dollar contract. Steep, but not long term trouble.

Originally posted by Akhhorus

not really. He's only taking up 2 million of cap room each year for the next couple years. The majority of his contract is in the last two years.

Ok so it doesn't screw us now, but it will in two years unless he retires or restructures and in reality, he doesn't have to do a damn thing.

I think the Skins are going to be able to re-sign him if they want to, but my gut tells me they will have to pay TOP dollar to do it.

Maybe not Champ money, but likely around $15 million in bonuses and $40 million over 5- 6 years of a acontract (total value).

He's playing really well and teams are out of thir minds in what they'll pay CBs right now...He's going to be one of the most sought after FAs on the market, I would imagine.

Archived