Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles' Thomas could miss playoffs again

afparent

Eagles' Thomas could miss playoffs again

Story Tools: Print Email

Rob Maaddi / Associated Press

Posted: 21 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Philadelphia defensive tackle Hollis Thomas could miss the playoffs for the fourth straight season, this time with a dislocated elbow.

Thomas, the Eagles' best run stopper, was injured in Sunday's 17-14 victory over the Washington Redskins. He had an MRI on Monday, and will miss three to six weeks.

The NFC East champion Eagles (12-1) already secured a first-round bye in the playoffs. Their first playoff game will be either Jan. 15 or 16.

Thomas' injury further depletes a defensive line that is missing starting end Derrick Burgess (chest) and lost tackle Corey Simon to a back injury in the first half against Washington. Burgess won't play against Dallas on Sunday, while Simon could return.

A nine-year veteran, Thomas has been plagued by injuries the last three years. He's watched the Eagles lose three consecutive NFC championship games from the sidelines.

Thomas went down in the 14th game of the 2001 season with a foot injury. He missed all of the next season after needing another operation on the same right foot. Thomas started strong last year, but tore his left biceps in the seventh game.

Thomas was having one of his best seasons this year, recording 21 tackles,10 hurries and one fumble recovery. He and Sam Rayburn went from backups to challenging Simon and Darwin Walker for playing time.

Paul Grasmanis, who played against the Redskins for the first time since he tore his Achilles' tendon in Week 2 of the 2003 season, replaces Thomas in the defensive line rotation. Grasmanis is in his fifth season with the Eagles after playing three seasons with Chicago and one in Denver.

Without Thomas, the Eagles' already-suspect run defense could falter. Philadelphia is 13th against the run, allowing 112.8 yards per game on the ground.

Only two running backs have rushed for more than 100 yards against the Eagles this season - the Giants' Tiki Barber, who did it twice, and Pittsburgh's Jerome Bettis. However, the Eagles have won nine of their games by double-digit margins, so teams have been forced to abandon the run and turn to the pass.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3247884

Originally posted by Westbrook36

What does that mean? By ALL accounts, Hollis Thomas is a very respectful and classy player.

PLEASE tell me you aren't celebrating an injury, you scumbag? :doh:

To be perfectly honest with you I don't wan't

to see anyone injured. I was joking...:doh:

But don't give me that holier-than-thou attitude

when half of the Eagles fan base are "SCUMBAGS"

as you so eloquently put it.

Originally posted by BRAVEONAWARPATH

But don't give me that holier-than-thou attitude

Thats not a "holier-than-thou attitude". An example of a "holier-than-thou attitude" is when someone mentions an injury happily, and then someone else comes along and will say "no don't do that, don't sink to those peoples level, we are better then that".

Originally posted by TenaciousB15

Thats not a "holier-than-thou attitude". An example of a "holier-than-thou attitude" is when someone mentions an injury happily, and then someone else comes along and will say "no don't do that, don't sink to those peoples level, we are better then that".

No..actually it is an "holier-than-thou-attitude...

coming from an Eagle fan. I hope you are as hard

on fellow Eagles fans who take pleasure in the

opposing teams' injuries. :rolleyes:

me?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm was using aninjury as an example. I could use another example if it helps to clerify. Someone was talking about the other day, how they saw a skins fan throw a bottle on to somebodys head below them at the game.

So then someone would go on a little rant about how a true skins fans would never do that, becuase they are better then that, and treating everyone associated with the other team as some creature you would find in an M. Night Shyamalan movie.

I'm was using aninjury as an example. I could use another example if it helps to clerify. Someone was talking about the other day, how they saw a skins fan throw a bottle on to somebodys head below them at the game.

So then someone would go on a little rant about how a true skins fans would never do that, becuase they are better then that, and treating everyone associated with the other team as some creature you would find in an M. Night Shyamalan movie.

I understand where you are coming from but

I honestly do think that Philly fans tend to go

overboard...more than most.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

What does that mean? By ALL accounts, Hollis Thomas is a very respectful and classy player.

PLEASE tell me you aren't celebrating an injury, you scumbag? :doh:

This coming from the guy who wanted to see the Springs hit on Jacked Up!?!?!?

:doh:

It's ok, 36, we ALL know who the real scumbag is.

Originally posted by TD_washingtonredskins

Sunday night was the Reverse Body Bag game.

Eagles players and fans seemed to take a lot of pride in that game...despite us kicking the crap out of them a few weeks later in Philly in the playoffs.

Because we lost a special teamer for the year and a reserve DT until the playoffs?

Bit of a stretch.

Archived