Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCants was open on that interception play...

rayprils

Originally posted by rayprils

Anybody notice??? McCants was wide open for a touchdown.......... I'm sick......

I saw that and this is what I think happened. But I havent watched it again yet so i'm not sure.

Cooley was obviously running the corner with McCants running the post. When your a QB you must throw the ball when the WR's are breaking so McCants was much more wide open looking on the replay than he was when the ball was thrown. Anyways, I think that Ramsey expected the safety, Dawkins, to stay over the top in the middle and help out on McCants, so Ramsey saw that Cooley had a step on the DB covering him, Ramsey threw to the corner of the endzone, however, Dawkins did not stay over the middle to help with McCants, he jumped way out to help on Cooley, thus the INT.

Why Dawkins did that I dont know, not sure if it was a tendency we had showed or if he read Ramsey's eyes, but it was a smart play by him to get over there.

Ramsey usually wouldnt throw that ball, but being under pressure in that situation killed us, obviously you dont want to take a sack and get out of FG range so when you think you've got when you want coverage wise and your under pressure sometimes you wont make sure its what you want.

Originally posted by KirkNC

Sadly it seems a real problem, Ramsey just does not see the field well. He leaves open guys open all game long. I worry about this.

That's such a load of BS. There is no QB isn the league that plays a perfect game. This kid is out there not giving up interceptions and dealing with a conservative offense and people jump all over him.

He's start just over a full seasons worth of games and people are already passing judgement.

He missed Coles on one play and threw one pick at the end. That portis play was BS becasue he hit Cooley in the hands in the endzone. Not Ramsey's fault if the ball is dropped, Cooley was NOT overthrown.

Originally posted by KirkNC

Sadly it seems a real problem, Ramsey just does not see the field well. He leaves open guys open all game long. I worry about this.

Not true.

He's a younger QB, it takes him more time to get through his reads since this is only his 4th start in the system.

The problem is he doesnt have enough time to make his reads since our O Line sucks so much.

You can't see the secondary on that play until after Ramsey is already throwing. There was an Eagle hanging out in the middle of the endzone waiting for McCants. There was no way he would have scored on that play, barring a missed tackle or two.

Still better than throwing into double coverage, though.

I think the Ramsey play is being blown way out of proportion. He will learn from it. Case closed. Better to happen when the only thing at stake is 4-9 vs. 5-8.

I remember Rypien playing a HORRIBLE game (throwing 3 INTs in the endzone) in the playoffs vs. SF in 1990. Then, the next year, everything clicked for him.

I'm sure it won't be next year for us to make a SB run, but I think we can step up to the playoff caliber if we learn from these types of games.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Destino....

C'mon, the league WORSHIPS Brett Favre, but he makes all kinds of idiotic throws trying to "make something happen". Even McNugget threw a number of bad balls yesterday like one-hoppers and a few tosses where we almost got INT's.

I think the announcers quote regarding how McNabb has played in this system so long that he just "knows" where everyone is going to be because he has a mental image of how the play is plotted on the field. He knows where everyone is supposed to be and can get the ball to them with a mere glance in their direction if he sees them open.

Patrick doesn't know this offense in and out like that yet. He's been played as a gunslinger his whole career. He was a gunslinger in Tulane, and he was brought in to be a gunslinger for us. Not only is he having to learn an entirely new playbook, but he is having to learn to control a tendency that has been reinforced his whole career... to take chances to sling the ball downfield for the big play.

Personally, I think he is doing an admirable job, which speaks volumes of his smarts, his maturity, and of the coaching staff.

So he makes a few bad plays against one of the top 3 teams in the entire league.... SO WHAT?!? I will AGAIN reiterate that even the best QB's make stupid plays, and frequently. Watch almost any Green Bay game for the last 2 years and you will see Favre making ill-advised tosses.

Originally posted by ntotoro

I saw him alone in the end zone, but wasn't sure if that was because coverage went toward the ball once they realized he wasn't the target or if Patrick just didn't see him. Anyone at the game who saw the whole play unfold wanna' chime in... ?

Nick

I saw the whole thing develop from section 402. Basically McCants was open on the inside route. Ramsey never even looked in his direction. He simply threw it to the back corner of the endzone. I literally said "S--t... its over" before the ball was picked.

That was the 3 pass that he threw into triple coverage. (One was to Cooley / Coles).

One play in my mind from the game. 3rd and 15. Ramsey connects with a cooly for 30 yards. Cooley has to stop and wait for the ball. - He literally was running WIDE OPEN from 10 yard beyond the line of scrimmage until Ramsey noticed him. If catches the ball in stride -- might have been a different story.

All things considered: The cooley trade was worth it. Period. Ramsey is finding the right guys -- its still just a little late in coming and that will come with time.

As for Dawkins coverage. Dawkins hips were pointing to his right (the whole time). He had no intention of covering McCants his responsibility was the endzone.

Also -- Who says you have to hit McCants in the endzone? Hit him at the 10 and we are inside the 10 with under 60 seconds to play.

The real positive here is that Ramsey is developing. Its happening and its just going to take some time - He is finding the right recievers (sometimes a little late and they are getting popped becauase of it) but he is developing. -- He made 2 bad throws last night the one that was 20 yards from anyone in a Redskins uni -- and the pick. I am happy with that .

I guess all the following had difficult seeing the field yesterday:

Ely Manning - 2 picks

Drew Bledole - 1 pick

Luke Mccown - 2 picks

David Carr - 1 pick

Leftwich - 1 pick

Chad Hutchenson - 1 pick

Testaverde - 1 pick

Aaron Brooks - 2 picks

Matt Hasselbeck - 2 picks

Carson Palmer - 1pick

Roethlisberger - 2 picks

CHAD PENNINGTON - 3 PICKS

AJ Feeley - 1 pick

Jake Plummer - 2 picks

DREW BEES - 2 picks

BRAIN GRIESE - 3 picks

Jake Delhomme - 1 pick

CHRIS CHANDLER - 6 PICKS

Josh McCown - 1 pick

SOME TIMES YOU DON'T REALLY APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE UNTIL IT'S GONE!

Archived