Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 6th round pick

Blade

Interesting. This guy seems a bit more suited for tackle, but, he has great leg strength. Squats 650 pounds according to one of his profiles. That's strong. Leads me to believe he'd be a very developmental player inside but a guy who also could be used outside in a pinch, or a trade of Jansen :).

Do we move him to the OG spot?

6-5 301

ANALYSIS

Positives: Hard worker with a sturdy lower body frame … Hits explosively and creates movement off the snap … Stays with the play well, showing proper arm extension and foot-shuffling ability … Bends his knees and has a wide leg base, displaying a fluid retreat setting up in pass protection … Maintains balance and gets his hands up quickly to sustain and gain leverage vs. the bull rush … Does a nice job of using his size and arm power to redirect … Flashes the ability to sustain and slide his feet in pass protection.

Negatives: For all of his power, he rarely shows aggression … Needs to play at a lower pad level as his upright stance causes defenders to quickly get their hands into his chest … Has to develop a nastier disposition, as he seems to make only passive attempts at mauling his opponent … Has a soft body, despite his strength … Falls off the plays late and is more of a "belly surfer," losing his feet and falling to the ground in his attempts to neutralize the linebackers upfield … Has marginal quickness working in space and struggles to adjust to the defender on the move … Needs to generate a more forceful hand punch, as he prefers to only maintain contact rather than jolt … Does not recognize rip-and-swim moves and falls off some when the defenders twist by … Has to be more consious of the play developing, as he frequently is called off-sides … Does not have the foot agility to consistently defend the edge.

CAREER NOTES

Two-year starter at left offensive tackle who is one of the strongest players on the team … Has been hampered by nagging injuries during his career, but still managed to start 22 of his final 24 games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001 SEASON

Started ten contests at left offensive tackle, collecting 65 key blocks/knockdowns for an offense that averaged 402.4 yards per game.

Louisiana State - Made six knockdowns, leveling linebacker Trev Faulk on a 70-yard touchdown bomb from QB Casey Clausen to Kelly Washington and also opened a hole used by Clausen for a 3-yard scoring run as the team totaled 448 yards.

Georgia and Vanderbilt - Did not play due to an ankle sprain.

Alabama - Cut blocked defensive tackle Jarret Johnson to clear a rush lane used by Clausen for a 1-yard scoring run as the team gained 480 yards.

Kentucky - Brought down defensive end Dennis Johnson with a roll block on Clausen's 59-yard touchdown pass to Donte' Stallworth, but left late in the game after re-injuring his ankle.

Florida - Made a key block on linebacker Andra Davis to spring tailback Travis Stephens for a 35-yard scoring run as the Vols amassed 242 yards on the ground.

Michigan (Citrus Bowl) - Cleared a path for Stephens' 3-yard touchdown run as the offense finished with 503 yards.

… Does not have the foot agility to consistently defend the edge.

Sounds like a college Tackle, but projected as a Guard in the NFL.

He's strong, 6'5 300lbs. Is that too tall for a Guard? The report says he's not aggresive. I guess that would be okay for the Left OG.

then again maybe he's not the next Jim Lachey after all. This quote from Sportsline reall makes him look sad:

Falls off the plays late and is more of a "belly surfer," losing his feet and falling to the ground in his attempts to neutralize the linebackers upfield …

That's just plain pathetic!! Theyre saying the guy tries but the best he can do is flop on the ground belly first. I hope he's got a strong voice because he's gonna be yelling, "LOOKOUT SAGE (insert qb of choice) an awful lot in the poreseason before he gets cut. :(:(:(:(

BCS, we're dealing with sixth rounders here. Here's a guy Spurrier knows well. He's seen him a lot and, saw him up close at Tennessee's workout day. Everyone you get right now has issues, and this guy is no different. He's tall and played at a big-time program against very good rushers. You were expecting Mike Williams at this pick? :)

I think the observation that Coleman lacks the footspeed to defend the edge leads me to believe the Redskins are projecting Reggie to guard in the NFL.

Art, I think he is a developmental player either inside or outside. :)

Overall, this seems to me the same deal as with last year's draft.

Pinpoint the lines as an area of need and then ignore them until the last couple of picks in the draft where you get large guys who lack balance, footwork or athleticism.

Mario Monds looked as if he was in slow motion in the camp drills last year. He had no lateral speed or ability to get himself going forward into the offensive player.

I couldn't believe he was even considered a draftable player after going up and seeing him in camp for a couple of days.

Hopefully, Coleman shows more over time because of his work ethic. :)

PFW... This one is a little more optomistic.

Reggie Coleman

SELECTED BY WASHINGTON , ROUND 6, PICK 20, OVERALL PICK 192

OT | (6-5, 300, 5.25) | TENNESSEE

By Pro Football Weekly

Notes: All-state offensive tackle and defensive end in Arkansas and also was a basketball player and weight man in track and field. Redshirted in 1997 and sat out the next year with a broken ankle. Played in 10 games as an offensive lineman and started once in '99. Started every game at left tackle in 2000 and all but one game (was out Sept. 29 with a right ankle injury) in '01.

Positives: Excellent size and has squat-lifted almost 650 pounds. Above-average athlete. Showed great improvement over the course of the '01 season and really played well against Florida's Alex Brown at the end of his senior season. Has pretty good feet and lateral movement. Is getting tougher and can get a lot better if he will pay the price.

Negatives: Has underachieved for most of his career. Is not a really tough player and lacks aggressiveness at times. Does not always work to finish his blocks. Gets too upright at times. May not be quick enough to be a left tackle at the next level.

Summary: Needs to continue to improve and show he will really pay the full price and go the extra mile, but he will have a future in the NFL if he does.

* Player biographies are provided by Pro Football Weekly.

It's about damn time. Now had we picked up some beef named Metcalf in the third round, I would have been happy as a lark. This guy won't see much daylight, except in a pinch. I mean, when all you can do is flop down on the ground, that's not what you're looking for in a starting guard.

Art,

I'm with ya Dude, all these guys are Redskins now and I'll cheer for them til the end.

But you gotta admit this "bellyflop" tag is a pretty tough one to deal with in the NFL. It's not like the linebackers and DT's he'll be tracking down are smaller and slower than the guys he couldn't block in college.

Still I'll drink a toast to to the man who will be knocking the Corey Simons and Warren Sapps of the NFL on THEIR keisters! We can dream. :cheers:

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

This guy won't see much daylight, except in a pinch. I mean, when all you can do is flop down on the ground, that's not what you're looking for in a starting guard.

Yes, but remember he flops with STYLE and GRACE tracing a sliding pattern in slow motion across the turf as his defender barrels on unimpeded towards the quarterbacks blind side.

But i'll cheer for him as a loyal Redskin fan all the same. :halo:

Archived