Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mel Gibson Buys Island

Dan T.

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Hollywood star Mel Gibson (news), flush from the huge success of his religious film "The Passion of Christ," has splashed out 15 million dollars on a private Pacific island, a report said.

The Australian-raised screen heartthrob and movie industry mogul flew to Fiji earlier this month where he bought the 2,160-hectare (5,400-acre) island of Mago from a Japanese hotel chain, People magazine reported.

"He wants to keep it as an exclusive getaway for his friends and family," the magazine quoted a local source as saying.

Gibson plans to turn the Pacific paradise, that is home to 40 residents, mostly coconut farmers and their families, into his own personal retreat, the US magazine said in its edition due to hit news-stands on Friday.

The South Pacific island boasts two lagoons and stunning white-sand beaches, it said.

__

Photo and description here: http://www.uniqueproperties.ca/magoisland/index.cfm?PropertyID=6&TypeID=2

15 million doesn't seem that much when you think of how big it is and what you could build on the island.

Then, if I had that loot, I might splash down 15 million so that terminally ill people could enjoy some time in a tropical paradise before they pass away.

Originally posted by seanskins

So what happens to the residents of the island? Does mel own them too? Or is he there king or something?

I assume he has title to all the land and that the coconut farmers either own the parcels there or they can function like renters on the island. Maybe it's even in the contract that they are to be left alone(with some restriction where THEY can go?)

But no he's not king. lol

Originally posted by nickfox45

pretty surprising, i wouldve thought a bigass island would cost more than 15 million bucks. thats pretty sweet...

Up in the New England area here, I have a few acquaintances that own their own island. One uses an old WWII landing craft to get his car back and forth to the mainland. Anyway the cost of the island isn't the hard part. It's getting utilities and other such niceties out there that is a real pain.

Originally posted by Stu

Up in the New England area here, I have a few acquaintances that own their own island. One uses an old WWII landing craft to get his car back and forth to the mainland. Anyway the cost of the island isn't the hard part. It's getting utilities and other such niceties out there that is a real pain.

Yeah I was thinking about that. How do you generate electricity? Or maybe you do everything by solar power, which would be expensive.

But man, it looks like a paradise. The photo galleries show some beautiful scenes.

I'd think, for electricity, you'd need a generator.

Then, you'd need a boat to periodically deliver fuel.

You also need fresh water delivered, or a machine to make it (and fuel for the machine). (I wouldn't think an island that small would have fresh water. But, I guess the 40 farmers are drinking something.)

You can raise some food there (if you want to support a caretaker staff to raise it).

Want a nice house? Ship the builders, and their tools, and the materials, and all the appliances and furnature.

I wouldn't be surptised if, in the first 5 years, he spends another 15M on the place, in 'improvements'. (Depending on how improved it is now).

I wouldn't be surprised if, in the first 10 years, he spends another $15M in supplies and upkeep.

(Not that I have anything other than a WAG to base those numbers on).

Archived