Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stop whining about the whining

Brave

OK, so when more than a few posters are against the moves being made the board can come off as overly negative. I understand that. However, this being precisely the forum to discuss the Redskins, the draft and what each of us thinks about it (good or bad), why all the b!tching and moaning about the comments?

You want to put forth an argument as to why this draft isn't as bad as some think go right ahead, but don't put the muzzle on those who are upset. They have a right to vent and this is the place to do it. And they'll get over it soon enough.

For the record, I am not happy with this draft so far. I'm a bit dumbfounded. Could be a better draft than I think when the players hit the field, but I think there were bigger holes to fill with our higher picks.

Brave,

I don't think anyone was muzzled. I think a couple of people who feel this is precisely the forum to discuss the Redskins, the draft and what each of us thinks about it (good or bad), why all the b!tching and moaning about the comments about the comments?

Know what I mean? :).

Didn't say anyone WAS muzzled. There have been repeated calls to end the "whining" from several directions. As far as I'm concerned, that's a part of this deal. If members aren't happy with some (all) of the picks they should be able to voice their displeasure.

However, I suppose if others tire of hearing that displeasure they can throw that out there, too. And if I tire of that ... and so on.

I'm not for telling anyone what to say or not say here. Within reason, of course.

Yep,

This is TOTALLY the place to vent. I'm stuck out here in Donkey country and have nobody to commiserate with. I need you guys to help wipe up the tears, give me a hug while I see ZERO improvemnt on our lines!

Thanks guys, I needed that - your the best.

Ok,

What do you want on the lines? I see improvement at QB but none on the lines. You and I may believe another guard would have been nice, and since there were no tackles for defense, it was either guard or QB really. What are we supposed to do with one pick?

After we improved at QB, every good second round guard fell, so we were stuck there. I agree we should have gone Weaver, but, there really wasn't a ton of value on the lines at the point we picked in round two. So when you're wiping away the tears, ask yourself about the QB position and balance one area of need against another.

It is funny that there is regular fussing about the way every other team except the Redskins seems to have these young guys that were picked up in the draft and after a year or two, really turned out special.

But when we do take some guys with the future in mind, everyone gets jacked because we didn't get guys who can step in and play right away.

Which way do you want it? I know, both ways.

Sometimes, however, it just doesn't work that way.

art....you're working on the assumption that the trades which put us in a position to draft no one of any utility this upcoming season (on the lines) had to play out that way. other avenues could have been explored to net a d or line player of value. no....the braintrust threw this draft down the drain - if you'll excuse a little hyperbole - to score with ramsey. ok.....we'll see how this plays out SEVERAL YEARS from now. in the interim.........there is this eery feeling that although we have multiple picks it's kinda like last year in that it feels like we have few picks and didn't get much. at least last year we walked away with two starters. i'm sorry....it's just unfathomable that the team did nothing, nada, rien, to improve its competitiveness THIS YEAR through the draft - good teams do this sort of thing. teams with management that thinks rather than emotes. you know this....you said as much in other posts. as prospero said in the tempest "this too shall pass". let us hope that the skins are able to pass as well next season! i agree that we are closer than most think on offense. i also believe that linebackers or not, we are going to get mauled on defense unless we find a stud tackle. otherwise,designing your scheme to compensate for weaknesses opens up vulnerabilities elsewhere. let's all hope that the strategy was to score a homerun in the first round, and, barring that, default to adding depth while betting on the come that post 1 Jun FA will deleiver unto us the proverbial missing link!!! i'm cool......i just don't like that "so what" feeling when thinking about our draft.

I dont see improvement at QB I see another Todd Husak when we could ve waited for the bigger mobile QBs in 2k3.

Dallas selects Gurode who would have slid into the LG spot and provided pass blocking as well as decent runblocking or we could have went for the pancaking Fonoti the O linemen would have started.

You guys better pray that Sage falls on his face because I think he is going to beat out everyone if he is taing this as a challenge as the 2nd year guy

Nope Art,

I hear ya. As I just wrote in another post, I can handle the Ramsey pick ...... kinda. I'm just frustrated. I see a lack of strategic thought here.

First I see the window of opportunity to maximize the talets of Stephen Davis closing. We're running him into the dirt like we did Larry Brown with the same to show for it. When he gains 1430-something yards last year after he had only like 12 touches in each of the first 5 games, he is a VERY special player that we are not catering to. With Samuels, Hutchinson, Gurode and Jansen and what seems to be a very stout D, we could have rode that until SS gets his downfield game working with whatever QBs we have. I would have preferred to have spent a 7th on Mathews and gone into the season with Shane, Wurffle and Sage.

Is Ramsey a good pick? Sure. Obviously, time will tell, but my frustration lies with all the effort and picks we have spent trying to figure out our QB situation. We spent a 3rd last year on a guy that this year' head coach calss a pretty good QB. Maybe, just maybe, we have finally got our man. Obviously, I hope so.

I just wish we had gone in another dierction that's all. I believe in order to be strong, we have to have strong lines. I learned that because I'm a Redskin fan. 3 Lombardi trophies with 3 different QBs and RBs? It's the lines. I'm an NFC East guy. I loved the game last year when Davis just pummeled the Cards into submission, in the rain and mud. Is it gonna be different around here now that we have SS - absolutely and I will enjoy that too, when it comes around. I was just looking for some starters.

I can see that we did OK, with what was presented us at the time, I just wish we went in another direction that's all.

I was being sarcastic about the tears:D

Let me just say that Stephen Davis ran for more yards than any player in the history of the franchise last year without Hutch. I wanted Hutch too. But, we found two good guards. We've already found one good guard this year. If we enter the year with Loverne starting, I'll fret a bit. Otherwise, guard is a lot like safety in that it lacks importance in the draft and you can generally get some good quality pros at the spot in free agency.

I dont mind the whining by the guys who give SPECIFIC REASONS why they are upset about the draft. But there are some guys who complain and then dont say anything SPECIFIC as to why they are upset. :doh:

These individuals ***** about the Skins taking Betts in the 2nd round or Bauman and Russell in the 3rd round -- which is their right -- but then offer no suggestions as to specific players THEY would have taken in those spots. Consequently, there is really little to debate with these guys, as you are swinging at shadows.

Chris Mortensen just said that he thought through rounds 3 that the Cowboys, Redskins and Raiders had a good first day drafting. It is my contention though that you cant determine whether a draft is really that good or bad this early in the game.

How many starters did one expect the Skins to get out of this draft? Teams rarely draft a player in the 3rd round and on down, who can come in and start the first year. So realistically we only had two picks where we could get a starter. The #1 pick was used on Ramsey. No one expects a rookie QB to start the first year if it can be avoided. So that only left us with one pick left to get a starter.

So you guys that are b-tching -- in the middle of the 2nd round now -- who could we have drafted who would have been a good starter at guard or defensive tackle? :question: I know Art mentioned DT Anthony Weaver and I concur with that. However, maybe the Redskins scouts didnt see it that way and thats why they chose Betts. :rolleyes:

I mean if everyone on this board knows the Skins have a hole at LG and RDT, you mean to tell me that the Skins front office is unaware of that and is not trying to remedy it? :doh:

inmate....i respectfully disagree....one can disagree about names.....or one can disagree about strategy or tactics. there is room for debate along each line of thought. the draft is about putting yourself in a position to get the guys you want or need. like dallas did - and we didn't. no one can refute the argument that these selections are going to have a marginal impact in the upcoming season: i hope i'm wrong, but they were not drafted to be starters and they do not even backup key needs. i feel completely comfortable in accepting that this may be a wonderful draft several years down the road. however, i'm tired of waiting around for this team to recover from winning the SB in '92. i wanted more ........ faster.

the one saving grace is that, as art points out, we are one FA guard away from a decent offense (assuming we get a QB who is functional). it's d tackle that waxes me wrong and the team should have addressed this. now we will go FA and overpay for an established vet.

Archived