Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shockey says Giants have to play dirty

afparent

Giants' tight end also says team morale is low

Associated Press

Posted: 6 minutes ago

The New York Giants' four-game losing streak and fading playoffs hopes finally got the best of Jeremy Shockey.

The emotional tight end expressed his displeasure with the team in a nearly 10-minute salty discussion with the media Thursday, during which he said team morale was "pretty low."

"I'm not going to lie to you," Shockey said. "Everyone's kind of looking around for someone else to say stuff. It's pretty bad, but we've got everything in the world to play for."

The Giants (5-6) are tied with St. Louis for the sixth-best record in the NFC heading into Sunday's game at Washington against the Redskins (3-8).

However, New York has lost five of six and has been beset by injuries on defense, particularly the chest injury that sidelined defensive end Michael Strahan for the rest of the season.

While the defense has held together, the offense has produced little — even with No. 1 draft pick Eli Manning replacing Kurt Warner at quarterback.

Shockey, who has dropped more than his fair share of passes this season, said he has spoken to teammates about being positive.

"I told a bunch of people, ‘If you don't believe we're in it, walk out the door. I'll pay your salary. I don't (care)'." Shockey said. "We control our own destiny from this point, and the only thing we can control is beating Washington."

Shockey said losing Strahan hurt the team from a leadership standpoint.

"He's always been a vocal leader the 12 or 13 years he's been here for," the third-year pro said. "We've got young guys. It's tough — you just keep messing up and people keep not doing their assignments."

Shockey said he'd like to see his teammates show they're in the game, even when they are on the sidelines.

He added that the Giants need to restore the confidence they had earlier in the season when they started with a 4-1 record. Shockey also said the team needs to win at all costs this weekend.

"I don't care how dirty you've got to play, we need a win," he said. "We're desperate. The Washington Redskins are desperate, too."

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3214502

i don't really mind those comments. that's what the nfc east is supposed to be. i read an old hogs article on here yesterday that had a quote from jacoby saying something like, "you'd be surprised what a guy would do when you are holding his family tree in your hands."

sure it's dirty, but it's "old school do what you can to beat the other guy in the face" football. i hope our boys feel the same way. it would be great if all the east games turned back into this style. i don't really feel like their are any real rivalries in the east anymore. i actually thank shockey for giving us some locker room material to hype the game up.

Originally posted by ntotoro

I think his definition of playing dirty is throwing cups of ice at kids in the stands. That's about all he's good for.

Nick

Or punting footballs into the stands after making a mediocre play. Or calling one of the best coaches in history a fag. Or dropping lots of chatchable balls. Or not blocking. He's pretty good for all of that too.

Originally posted by mookie0720

Why do I in no way find myself worried about Shockey?

Because both Toomer and Hilliard have 0 TDs on the season and Shockey has been their only scoring threat. Tiki hasn't scored since Eli started. Marcus Washington is great at coverting TEs, with Taylor coming across the top... problem solved.

:logo: :logo:

I'll be at this game. I hope to GOD it gets DIRTY! This offense NEEDS something to get them fired up. I hope the defense takes a cheap shot a PR (without hurting him-God knows I don't need to be misunderstood about this) so that the offense jumps in & hurts them-on the scoreboard.

Here's to 31-3, Redskins win! :cheers: :gaintsuck

BTW, Shockey is an overpaid, overhyped, trailored out hick whose mother/sister used to tell his father/uncle that he was :jerkoff: behind the outhouse to see him get beat with a radiator hose for enjoyment.

:D :logo: :gaintsuck

Archived