Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KFFL - Gibbs looking ahead

Chrisbob74

Redskins | Gibbs Looking Ahead - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:31:12 -0800

David Elfin, of the Washington Times, reports Washington Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs said he is open to the idea of bringing in a general manager to the team next season.

Just thought I'd share this, sorry if already posted (couldn't see it anywhere).

He's not going to bring in a GM - he's the GM.

What this basically means is that he is considering a personnel guy to replace Cerrato. But I have heard nothing that indicates he is dissatisfied with Cerrato, so this report doesn't make much sense.

Originally posted by SonnyJ

He's not going to bring in a GM - he's the GM.

What this basically means is that he is considering a personnel guy to replace Cerrato. But I have heard nothing that indicates he is dissatisfied with Cerrato, so this report doesn't make much sense.

If Gibbs was unhappy w/ Vinny, I doubt highly we would hear anything in the mainstream media.

My question is about the Times story this report is drawn from. KFFL routinely runs summaries of news stories, so this may just be their spin on Gibbs' comment that he is open to examining peoples "roles."

Originally posted by dfbovey

Gibbs is the president of football operations, not the GM. There is no one person who occupies the position of GM for the Redskins.

Some of you guys are always making a big deal out of the Redskins getting a GM, when they have people on board making GM decisions, but without the title.

A number of successful teams in the NFL also don't have GM's. Teams like Green Bay and New England just like the Redskins don't have GM's, at least in title. :doh1: Proving it doesn't matter what one's title is, you just need someone who can make good personnel decisions.

Fair enough, but in New England's case it's no big secret that Pioli runs the show as far as players. He may as well have the gm title, here we have Gibbs who is also coach, (hardly ever a good idea to combine the two positions) Cerrato who is a bumbling idiot, and Snyder, nough said.

The problem with this Pioli character is....everybody wants him! I have heard his name mentioned with Miami, Cleveland, and now us! I mean, if he had a brain in his head of course he would come here....provided he is not a flaming idiot!

We gotta get rid of Vinny. What we really need, is someone who will tell Danny Boy that he has no idea what he is talking about and just shut up and sign checks. Danny "breaking down film" and going on scouting trips is laughable. Vinny is Danny's yes man. Plain and simple. Period, paragraph.

The problem with that is, if we do get someone, a la Marty, who told Dan, "just shut up, sit in your owner's box and stay out of the big boys way" he got fired! That scares the bejesus out of me. I am thinking though, on the other hand, if we can get an organization where we start friggin' WINNING, Dan won't care what the hell is going on!

I am afraid to say, I think all the :pooh: flows uphill with us, fellas.

Whatever the situation, I am behind my team, no matter what. As we all should be. Let's go kick some serious Giant ass, which we will do, and we'll move on from there.

:cheers:

Originally posted by Johnny Punani

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that Gibbs get Snyder to agree and can Vinny Cerrato. Here is the shocker...

Jimmy Johnson agrees to become the GM/Head of Player Personnel for the Washington Redskins.

you must be more drunk than me.....

Originally posted by Johnny Punani

why???

come on man, let's here your reason....

Because he'll still be subordinate to Gibbs. Gibbs will retain ultimate power.

As inmate said, call it what you want. The Redskins have a personnel guy in the form of Vinny. They won't be bringing someone in with equal stature to Gibbs. If they bring in a GM, it will be as a personnel guy to replace Vinny, with Gibbs retaining ultimate control.

Don't see how that's different from how it operates now...

Gibbs is PRESIDENT of the Redskins and coach. He can hire a GM if he likes, whether Snyder has a say or not. Didn't we hear of a rift between Gibbs and Vinny earlier this year?

I find it amazing that the vast majority of the league thinks Vinny is a complete idiot.... incapable of being employed by any other of the 31 teams in the league.... yet he's employed by the Redskins.

Might there be a reason why the Redskins have continually struggled while having Vinny employed by the team? Might Vinny have a penchants to sign "heartless, gutless" players that seam to make up the majority of this team? Guys like Samuels, Mr. overated, and the Big Tastey Softee like Dockery.

Gibbs should fire Vinny at the end of the season, which I expect him to do, and hire a GM/Director of player Personell to help him with player evaluation.

Did Vinny get that extension it was reported he was going to get from the Redskin Organization? If so... more money wasted. Thankfully, it doesn't count towards the salary cap. :doh:

Originally posted by pr11fan

Fair enough, but in New England's case it's no big secret that Pioli runs the show as far as players. He may as well have the gm title, here we have Gibbs who is also coach, (hardly ever a good idea to combine the two positions) Cerrato who is a bumbling idiot, and Snyder, nough said.

Pioli has input, but Belichick has the final say. When (if) he decides to leave his dream scenario in NE, it will be for a team where he can have total say in football matters, i.e. pick a coach, pick players, etc. There is no way he would leave the Pats for the Redskins, its the same scenario where a Hall of Fame coach has the final say.

Archived