Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor in Court Today

red zone

Just an FYI. Sean Taylor will be in Fairfax County court today facing charges of DUI and refusing to submit to a breathalyzer test. I am told a first offense is punishable by up to one year in prison and-or a $2,500 fine. I would suspect it will cost him some $$, and nothing more.

:logo:

Redskins' Taylor pleads not guilty to drunken driving

December 1, 2004

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor pleaded not guilty plea Wednesday to a drunken driving charge and is scheduled for trial Jan. 5.

The rookie plans to call teammates as witnesses to say he was sober Oct. 27, Taylor's lawyer, Warren McLain, said. Taylor had been at a birthday party for wide receiver Rod Gardner.

``There were a number of witnesses who were with him that night,'' McLain said. ``He's in an embarrassing situation. He feels he's innocent.''

The No. 5 overall draft pick was pulled over by a Virginia state trooper on Washington's beltway. Taylor refused to take a breath test. He took field sobriety tests, and Virginia state police say he failed those tests.

McLain said he believes Taylor passed the tests, including one in which he was asked to stand on one leg, hold the other and count to 30.

Fight the system Taylor... :applause:

"McLain said he believes Taylor passed the tests, including one in which he was asked to stand on one leg, hold the other and count to 30."

These field sobriety tests are idiotic. I couldn't pass that one stone-cold sober, especially with arthritic knees. Then again, if it were me, I would have taken the breathalyzer, as I have done in the past, and refused the field test.

Taylor Enters Not Guilty Plea on Drunken Driving Charge

By Tom Jackman

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 1, 2004; 11:59 AM

The lawyer for rookie Redskins' defensive back Sean Taylor told a Fairfax County judge this morning that Taylor would plead not guilty to drunk driving charges, and he asked for a postponement of Taylor's trial so he could summon other Redskins as witnesses.

Substitute Fairfax General District Court Judge Frank B. Perry agreed to continue Taylor's trial to Jan. 5. Taylor was in the courtroom for the brief motion, but declined to comment afterward. He then signed autographs in the courthouse lobby while his lawyer spoke with reporters.

Taylor, 21, was arrested by a Virginia State Police trooper after being pulled over on the Capital Beltway in Fairfax at 2:40 a.m. on Oct. 28. Court records indicate that Trooper Mandre Boggess was parked just south of Georgetown Pike and clocked Taylor's BMW going 82 mph in the southbound lanes.

Boggess wrote in a criminal complaint that he "smelled a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage" and asked the Redskins player to step out of the car and perform some field sobriety tests. After Taylor had walked and turned on a line, stood on one leg, touched his nose and recited the alphabet, Boggess asked Taylor to take a preliminary breathalyzer test. Taylor refused, Boggess wrote in the complaint.

Taylor was charged with driving while intoxicated and refusing to take an alcohol blood or breath test. He spent about six hours in the Fairfax jail, missing the start of that day's practice with the Redskins, and was released about 10 a.m. The Redskins benched him for the game that Sunday against Green Bay. Taylor was the Redskins' first draft pick this year, and was the fifth overall selection in the NFL draft. He left college after two seasons at the University of Miami.

Taylor's lawyer, Warren W. McLain of Fairfax, said Taylor had been at a birthday party for teammate Rod Gardner before he was stopped. McLain said he planned to call some of Taylor's teammates as witnesses, to testify as to "when he got there, how much he had to drink." He said Taylor had "a very small amount over a short period of time."

But McLain asked for the case to be continued until after the Redskins season. "It would be too disruptive to the team," McLain said, "to try the case today, because of all the guys who would have had to be here."

McLain indicated he planned to vigorously challenge both charges against Taylor. He said Taylor didn't take the preliminary breathalyzer test "because he felt he wasn't intoxicated. Based on what he told me about his field sobriety test, he passed. And the fact that you smell alcohol doesn't mean you're under the influence. If he'd taken the [breathalyzer] test, he would have passed it."

During the field sobriety test, McLain said, Taylor "was asked to stand on one leg and count, which he did for a significant amount of time. I think the judges around here have said in the past that anybody who can do that, that's pretty good evidence he's not under the influence."

In addition to a fine, license suspension and possible jail time for a drunk driving conviction, Virginia law mandates a one year revocation of a driver's license for refusing to take an alcohol breath or blood test. But McLain said, "I don't know that he [Taylor] was explained the implied consent law the way the statute requires." State law requires that both the arresting officer and a magistrate tell a driver refusing to take the test of the consequences of the refusal.

But Taylor's refusal occurred only because he felt he wasn't drunk, McLain said. "He feels he's innocent, and I believe he's innocent," McLain said.

If Taylor is convicted or admits to the charges, he also faces a fine, suspension or other discipline by the NFL at the discretion of Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

Originally posted by red zone

Just an FYI. Sean Taylor will be in Fairfax County court today facing charges of DUI and refusing to submit to a breathalyzer test. I am told a first offense is punishable by up to one year in prison and-or a $2,500 fine. I would suspect it will cost him some $$, and nothing more.

:logo:

The new law in VA is if you get convicted of a DUI everyone does time, maybe a week or a month, but depending on your history we will do some time.

When he refused he also lost his license for one year.

Archived