Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

teacher to use insanity plea for sex withs student

afparent

Former teacher to use insanity plea against charges of sex with student

an ABC Action News report 11/30/04 - updated 12:32 p.m.

TAMPA - When a young Hillsborough County teacher was accused this summer of having a sexual affair with a 14-year-old student, many people's first reaction to the notorious case was, 'She's crazy.' Tuesday, Debra Lafave's attorney announced that his client would indeed be using an insanity defense.

Lafave, 23, is facing charges of lewd and lascivious behavior, stemming from accusations that the former Greco Middle School teacher had sex with the student both at school and in a car driven by the student's cousin in Ocala.

The case has garnered international attention, but since turning herself in to police in June, Lafave has kept a low profile. She was ordered to appear at today's pre-trial hearing, but did not say anything.

In her place, attorney John Fitzgibbons asked the court for a delay because of a shift in his defense tactics.

"To give the court a sense of the case, I anticipate that in the near future, I will be filing a notice of insanity defense. There is some work being done by a doctor…we have accumulated medical records," he told the judge.

Lafave's trial was originally scheduled for December 6. Prosecutors had been forewarned of the new defense tactic, but still said it could push the trial back "a couple months," possibly into next summer.

It was not clear, either from Fitzgibbons' comments or court documents, what the reasoning behind the move was.

"Debbie has some profound emotional issues that are not her fault. I think once anyone reads what the doctors have to say, they will understand a lot more about what happened here," Fitzgibbons said outside court, as Lafave stood silently next to him.

One factor the defense might use to invoke an insanity defense is the recent trauma Lafave's family has been through. Her pregnant sister was killed in a high-profile drunk driving accident three years ago, and Lafave was in court for that trial alongside the rest of her family, who also turned out for today's hearing.

Her soon-to-be former husband, Owen Lafave, was not there, however. Owen filed for divorce in August and told Action News previously that the case has been like "living a nightmare" for him.

Debbie Lafave also faces similar charges in Marion County.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories/2004/11/041130lafave.shtml

Her soon-to-be former husband, Owen Lafave, was not there, however. Owen filed for divorce in August and told Action News previously that the case has been like "living a nightmare" for him.

I feel bad for this guy. Truly.

JUst a request, people: please, please don't hijack this thread like the last time this subject was discussed - it got real ugly :(

Originally posted by jenmdixon

I feel bad for this guy. Truly.

JUst a request, people: please, please don't hijack this thread like the last time this subject was discussed - it got real ugly :(

I feel bad for him too.

To be cuckolded in such a public way, not to mention the circumstances surrounding what happened. Yikes.

I feel bad for the ex-husband too. I couldn't imagine finding out the woman I married was sleeping around with a 14 year old kid. Even if the insanity plea works, it's not like she'll walk out of the courtroom free. She'll go to some secured hospital for several years. It'd probably be better for her because she clearly needs a lot of help.

Archived