Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defensive rookie of the year??

The_Posse91

Sean Taylor doesn't care, he wants to win, he plays with more passion than any of them...Sean Taylor...

Last year the Hurricanes had Vilma and Taylor on the same defense, not to mention D.J. Williams, Vince Wilfork, etc. and they still couldn't win the national championship??

Originally posted by cphil006

Sean Taylor doesn't care, he wants to win, he plays with more passion than any of them...Sean Taylor...

Last year the Hurricanes had Vilma and Taylor on the same defense, not to mention D.J. Williams, Vince Wilfork, etc. and they still couldn't win the national championship??

Maybe Taylor brought Berlinitis with him to DC? It only afflicts QBs.

Brock Berlin himself has been cured but Ramsey and Brunell haven't yet.

Roethlisberger, Vilma manning toughest positions for rookies

By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer

November 24, 2004

Rookie quarterbacks don't have immediate success in the NFL. Neither do first-year middle linebackers. The positions simply are too complicated and too critical, and coaches won't trust them to the novice.

Don't tell that to Ben Roethlisberger and Jonathan Vilma, whose early success belies the theory that rookies can't call signals or lead pro offenses and defenses.

Roethlisberger, of course, is 8-0 as a starter for the Steelers, an unprecedented beginning for an NFL rookie quarterback. He's operating behind a strong line, he has a superb pair of running backs and excellent receivers, plus a stingy defense. Few quarterbacks -- rookies or veterans -- are surrounded by such talent.

But don't sell the No. 11 overall pick short. He's been a playmaker, the Steelers haven't toned down their game plans very much with him on the field, and even when he struggles, as he did last Sunday at Cincinnati, the Steelers win.

``The biggest surprise is how we're coming together as a team,'' he says. ``I can't really say that's a big surprise, but the way the guys are rallying around me as a rookie quarterback, they're the ones that deserve the credit. They're the ones blocking, running hard, catching the ball. They make my job a lot easier.''

The way Roethlisberger has taken control in Pittsburgh has made some coaches' jobs more difficult. And not just the opposing coaches game-planning for a matchup with the Steelers.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin might have felt more pressure to get Eli Manning in the lineup after Roethlisberger's success. Manning made his first start last weekend.

Bill Parcells could be headed for a similar decision with untested Drew Henson in Dallas. Craig Krenzel, a fifth-round pick, is starting in Chicago -- and is 3-1, even though he's done little more than manage a conservative offense. If J.P Losman hadn't broken his leg in preseason, he might be the starter in Buffalo by now.

Roethlisberger, though, has proven he is special, the best rookie quarterback since Dan Marino in 1983.

``He is very mature for his age (22),'' coach Bill Cowher said. ``While certainly he is going to have a better feel for this offense as he continues to grow in it, he has done a very good job of handling everything that has come with it. He has not been overwhelmed by anything.''

Getting overwhelmed by running a defense is just as problematical for NFL rookies, but the Jets' Vilma slid into the middle linebacker spot smoothly. He took over in game three after Sam Cowart hurt his knee, and his added speed and agility have made a big impact on an improved unit.

His coordinator, Donnie Henderson, believes Vilma could be headed for the level of -- dare we say it? -- Ray Lewis.

``I've said this before: Jonathan five years from now could be that way,'' says Henderson, who was the secondary coach in Baltimore before joining the Jets. ``They're the same mold. They come from the same university (Miami, Fla.). Football to them is a passion.

``Jonathan is just a young guy. I'm trying to make him still be a rookie. If I told Jonathan to go ahead and take over and make all the calls and play like Ray, he'd do that right now. But at the same time he's not Ray. He doesn't have the experience ... give him five years he's going to be fine. But you see how he runs around. You can't tell me he doesn't look like a little Ray Lewis -- other than he's five years away.''

Yet another Miami Hurricane who's been a factor as a rookie is Denver's D.J. Williams. He's become a leader on an aggressive, quick defense.

``I'm very pleased with him,'' coach Mike Shanahan says. ``He's a heck of an athlete. He really prepares himself. Like most rookies, it's been a growing experience. Every time you're out there you learn something. But he's making plays and learning at the same time.''

No team has been helped by the draft more than vastly improved San Diego, which is starting rookies at center (Nick Hardwick), seventh-round right tackle (Shane Olivea) and defensive end (Igor Olshansky), plus placekicker Nate Kaeding.

``I think the early returns would indicate it's very, very positive,'' coach Marty Schottenheimer said.

Of the 32 first-round choices in April, a dozen have become regular contributors. They range from defensive linemen Tommie Harris of Chicago, Kenechi Udeze of Minnesota, Will Smith of New Orleans and Vince Wilfork of New England to DBs Dunta Robinson of Houston and Sean Taylor of Washington, although Taylor's season has been marred by a series of off-field problems.

First-round offensive rookies who have been factors, other than Roethlisberger, generally have been wide receivers.

Roy Williams of Detroit, Lee Evans of Buffalo, Keary Colbert of Carolina and Larry Fitzgerald of Arizona stand out from a deep class of wideouts. But the best has been Tampa Bay's Mark Clayton, who has a team-high 52 catches for 751 yards and three touchdowns. He's compiled those numbers working with three quarterbacks and, until recently, without a lot of on-field help from the other Bucs receivers.

Clayton has, however, benefited from the wisdom of 17-year veteran Tim Brown, who was signed by the Bucs after the Raiders cut him this summer.

``The guy is tough as nails,'' Brown says. ``I think this kid is going to be really special. ... I think if he can keep his mind right then he could be one of the best to play this game.''

The first-round disappointments include offensive linemen Robert Gallery, the second overall choice, who has been mediocre for the Raiders, and Vernon Carey, who barely can get on the field for the awful Dolphins; cornerbacks Chris Gamble of Carolina and Ahmad Carroll of Green Bay, who have struggled learning coverages; and a group of rookies slowed or sidelined by injury: Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr.; Seattle DT Marcus Tubbs; Cincinnati RB Chris Perry; New England TE Ben Watson; and Philadelphia tackle Shawn Andrews.

But for every high pick who struggles, there are the gems found after the first round. So far, the standouts have been DBs Gibril Wilson of the Giants, Erik Coleman of the Jets, undrafted Randall Gay of New England, Glenn Earl of Houston, Madieu Williams of Cincinnati, and J.R. Reed of Philadelphia, a special teams demon; DLs Darnell Dockett of Arizona and Jared Allen of Kansas City; LBs Caleb Miller and Landon Johnson of Cincinnati, Teddy Lehman of Detroit and Karlos Dansby of Arizona; guard Jacob Bell of Tennessee; center Alex Stepanovich of Arizona; RB B.J. Sams of Baltimore, who has two punt return TDs; and Dallas punter Mat McBriar, an undrafted free agent from Australia.

``When we came in,'' says Vilma, ``we came in expecting maybe not to start, but to at least contribute. Now that you see a lot of the rookies doing that, it's something we expected. It's not a surprise for us.

``It puts confidence in us, it's good for our confidence the next couple of years.''

And beyond.

Originally posted by polskadan

He was freakin awesome with Tech, and the games i have watched him with the falcons he does pretty good too.

i like deangelo hall but being out hurt 5 or six games of the season will kill your chances of being rokie of the year, just ask kellen winslow.

I think not starting and not playing cause of dui hurt sean taylors chance although i think he will be damn close at the end of the season. I think hell make drew henson his *****. But right now id give it to vilma.

Originally posted by bengalsown

Madieu Williams, safety. 63 tackles, 2 interceptions, 1 touchdown, 3 passes defended.

Sean Taylor: 2004 Washington Redskins 9 games, 44 total tackles, 35.0 solo, 9 assisted, 1 sack, 3 ints, 55 yards returned, 18.3 avg, 45 longest, 0 td, 4 passes defended.

Archived