Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A breakdown of Ramsey's performance

freakofthesouth

I took the time to go through all of Ramsey’s pass attempts (all 43 of them!), and I’d like to go through a brief analysis w/ the board on this, and draw a few conclusions from them. So here we go, broken down by play:

Pass play # 1: Gets pressured on a blitz, and throws it away effectively.

Pass play # 2: Good protection, steps up in pocket, and completes a significant pass to Coles.

Pass play # 3: Sacked; Cooley was matched up 1 on 1 w/ a DE, and had no help from Ray Brown.

Pass play # 4: Pressure, steps up, and has a pass deflected that was headed for an open man.

Pass play # 5: Has time, pass was a little high, and was dropped.

Pass play # 6: Has time, chooses to dump it off.

Pass play # 7: Throws a screen pass that was dropped.

Pass play # 8: Solid pass, was dropped.

Pass play # 9: Sacked; had no time, Ray Brown the culprit.

Pass play #10: Timing slant, throw was behind WR.

Pass play #11: Sack; Dockery whiffs blitz pickup.

Pass play #12: Had time, under thrown quick out.

Pass play #13: Quick slant, complete to Gardner.

Pass play #14: Play action, Deep out, poorly thrown INT.

Pass play #15: Had time, deep ball, drop by Gardner, though he was well covered.

Pass play #16: Shakes pressure, completes to Coles for a solid gain.

Pass play #17: Quick slant, bad read…near INT.

Pass play #18: Steps up in pocket, only to find Dockery is getting pushed back severely, and his man knocks the ball from Pat’s hand, causing a fumble/sack.

Pass play #19: Deep throw, near pick, bad read.

Pass play #20: Has time, steps up, complete to Jacobs, solid gain.

Pass play #21: Has time, steps up, complete to Jacobs, solid gain.

Pass play #22: No time, Ray Brown’s DE gets pressure, Ramsey scrambles for 3 yds.

Pass play #23: Deep ball, catchable, though a little overthrown, and completely uncontested by Rod Gardner.

Pass play #24: Hit as he throws, Samuels is beat, near INT.

Pass play #25: Steps up, off target deep ball to Coles.

Pass play #26: Protection, steps up, good completion to Coles.

Pass play #27: Pressure (Ray Brown’s DE), complete to Jacobs.

Pass play #28: Blitz, pressure, completion to Coles.

Pass play #29: Dump of to Portis on 4th and long.

Pass play #30: Blitz, quick completion on a hitch to Coles.

Pass play #31: Dropped screen.

Pass play #32: Blitz, completes short hitch.

Pass play #33: Deep ball to Gardner, catchable, though good coverage; Gardner shows little effort.

Pass play #34: Great protection, BIG pass to McCants.

Pass play #35: Great time, hitch + YAC for McCants.

Pass play #36: 3 step drop, out pattern to Jacobs. Ramsey really hits his rhythm at this time.

Pass play #37: play action reverse, slightly high pass to Coles in end zone, incomplete.

Pass play #38: Pressured, bad read on the run, near INT.

Pass play #39: Threads needle to Cooley in double coverage, TD.

Pass play #40: dump off to Portis, prevent D.

Pass play #41: dump off to Portis, prevent D

Pass play #42: good, 20 + yard throw to Gardner, takes eyes off ball and makes little effort.

Pass play #43: Hail Mary, INT.

Whew! OK, so here are a few conclusions that I was able to draw:

Dropped passes: 4 dropped passes while Ramsey was in is way too many. The fact that two of them were screens tells me that these receivers are not used to Ramsey’s velocity on his passes. This will change.

Ramsey’s timing: he really seemed to struggle w/ the shorter, quickly-timed routes. This is acceptable, IMO, because these plays take practice, and require the WR to be an the same page w/ his QB. This can be worked on through some practice.

Ramsey’s response to pressure: he gets a little in accurate when he is hit, which I’m sure is the case w/ any QB. W/ the first two sacks, the throws surrounding them were off target. He did, however, rebound shortly after the sacks, completing a quick play to Gardner…which brings me to my next point.

Gardner: OK, now I’m not slamming anyone; I’m only pointing out obvious points. And Rod Gardner showed not fight in him at all. He had at least 3 passes that were thrown to him that he did not even really contest. Some of these plays had great coverage, but Gardner is a physical receiver when he wants to be, and showed none of it in the second half.

Dockery, Ray Brown: These guys were to blame for most of the pressure and sacks that we had. The fumble was completely Dockery’s fault, as Ramsey was looking downfield and stepping up in the pocket, Dockery was getting pushed around very convincingly, and really messed up that play. Ray Brown needs to have a TE in w/ him at all times to neutralize even decent pass-rushers. On the first sack of the game, Cooley was forced to handle a DE on his own, which he cannot do. Ray Brown was confused, and it cost up a sack, and some momentum.

McCants: McCants comes in, and not only does he make 2 great catches, he fights for yards, breaking tackles, and really pushing for every yard. Sounds to me, like the anti-Gardner. :laugh:

Play-calling: ON the TD drive, we really responded very positively to the blitz. The Bengals were really sending the house, and Ramsey, showing poise in the pocket, completed a few quick hitches that really turned into great gains, and first downs. Not only did it move the ball, but it also forced their defense to respect the short passing game, and that opened up the big plays to McCants.

Closing thoughts: Ramsey, though rusty at first and when hit, played well for his debut. He was brought into a tough situation, and showed a lo of fight to keep the chains moving. His passes, when timed right, were accurate, and quick. Side note: if his arm is any weaker, all of those defenders would have picked off al least 2 more INTs. He will get his timing down w/ the short slants, and that will slow the blitz down, thus opening the secondary. Couple that w/ a full game, and a rushing attack (draws, delays, etc), and we will see a much better offense than we did last week.

Let’s go Skins. :cheers:

Coles is Ramsey's fav target anyways. Gardner may be gone next year.

I think you are right about the velocity on the ball part. These guys aren't used to a bullet:laugh:

That is probably why the defeders dropped those sure INT's that Ramsey gunned right at them. Too much velocity.

My hope is that Coles gets the surgery he needs ASAP. Get McCants in there, this guy has game. Jacobs has shown potential as well. Point being, our offense has a chance to really shine now. Get the guys in the game who have SHOWN that they will catch the ball. Jacobs has a couple drops, but Coles and Gardner are NOT playing like a typical #1 and #2 receiver corps. Coles has dropped more passes than I even thought imaginable, and it's got to be his hand injury, nothing else could explain that many drops.

I TIVO'd this game and watched the 2nd half in particular, and there were moments where Ramsey really appeared to "get hot" and complete some good passes down the field. That part of our offense has been so scarce, I actually jumped up out of my seat when he went down the field to McCants in the 4th qtr.

He still made some bone headed plays and you can just tell he uses his arm more than his head, something I KNOW Gibbs can fix, maybe not in one week but if we stick with Ramsey we will see drastic improvements.

i can't wait!

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

Gardner: OK, now I’m not slamming anyone; I’m only pointing out obvious points. And Rod Gardner showed not fight in him at all. He had at least 3 passes that were thrown to him that he did not even really contest. Some of these plays had great coverage, but Gardner is a physical receiver when he wants to be, and showed none of it in the second half.

Watching the game.

Watching Zebs highlights

Reading this.

I couldn't agree more. Some of those passes (including the Hail Mary) were very catchable if he just tried!

I think as soon as Ramsey gets 100% comfortable he will do well. You have to remember he most likely had some nerves and anxiety. The entire stadium erupts in "ramsey", we are way behind in the game then next thing you know he is in. If you notice he looked his best towards the end of the game. I assume the nerves and stress decreased.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold

Really good analysis. Inparticular, you have to question why we are using Gardner. He's a big physical WR that Marty really liked when he was here, but with the rules in the NFL, the smaller and faster WR have the advantage. I'd really like to see a smart conservative first half against the Eagles, lots of Portis and no big plays from Ramsey (unless they work of course) but he needs to get comfortable back there for a half. Then in the second half I'd like to see them try to play aggressively smart. Meaning we use some 4 or 5 WR sets but make easier throws for more YAC.

Either way it'll be exciting to finally watch a good offense for the final 7 weeks...........and maybe more!

Originally posted by Skins24

Watching the game.

Watching Zebs highlights

Reading this.

I couldn't agree more. Some of those passes (including the Hail Mary) were very catchable if he just tried!

I wonder if it has anything to do with him thinking Coles is Ramsey's go to guy. Kind of a jealousy thing.

Excellent analysis.

I think that Ramsey definately struggled the most with hot reads... but that's what you would expect.

The receiver and QB are supposed to look in at the coverage and adjust accordingly to the blitz. All the WRs are used to Brunell's adjustment rather than Ramsey.

It'll take a couple of weeks to get into a rhythm, but you can't deny that the passing game had more effectiveness than recently.

Gardner... i don't know... if we get his stats up a little more we can pawn him off for a second round pick next year.

While he should honestly never give up on a play, I can understand Gardners frustration somewhat. You could see it early on some of the horrible under/overthrown Brunell passes. He was visibly frustrated and he probably never really got his head back in the game.

But he's got to keep that under control.

Originally posted by BleedinBurgundyandGold

I wonder if it has anything to do with him thinking Coles is Ramsey's go to guy. Kind of a jealousy thing.

Maybe the same with Coles when Brunell was in there. I was really starting to think Coles was hurt bad, from the way he was playing.

Then Ramsey gets into the game and he had a little extra hop in his step.

Yea thats basically what I was thinking, because Coles hasn't been running gingerly or anything. Really makes you wonder about the committment some of these guys are making. I can tell you Ward, Burress and Randle El dont complain about who is getting touches.

late in the game i saw some "big name" starters give up on routes, McCants worked his ass off to get open and fought for extra yds. LC is playing very un-characteristically, needs to get his head in the game. Need to start McCants, Jacobs, Thrash, and let the big names watch for awhile.

Originally posted by SkinsFanMania

Finally after 10 days my internet is back up. I needed a new modem.

Anyway, with Brunell in Brown was protecting the week side. Now with Ramsey in that all changes. This is a huge advantage.

Samuels claimed he worked his butt off in the offseason so he wouldn't embarass himself like last year. With Ramsey back in, now it's time to see if there is some major improvement in his game.

Total agreement. He is our best and I think he'll definately prove it. I'm curious to see how the line performs against Philly. With Ramsey's blindside covered, it should be much better than the Bengals game. It was obvious we were throwing every down, so they came full throttle. Does anyone know how many running plays were run in the second half, compared to passing plays? I never really understood why we didn't run the ball more when Ramsey entered the game. 7 minutes left in the second quarter and Portis rarely touched the ball. It wasn't like it was 17-0 with 1 quarter to play.

Come on, guys. I watched the game again too and even weighing all factors (being down 17 points, not getting a lot of reps in practice, etc...) Ramsey still looked pretty damn bad to me. I really like the guy and hope he's a skin for the next decade, but he is damn lucky he didn't get picked off five times in only three quarters of play. Hell, the many objective fans (not blind-skins lovers like me) I was watching the game with actually thought Gibbs should have put Hasselbeck in.

That said, Ramsey did give me some hope in the fourth quarter. He started to look comfortable and more confident -- hopefully a sign of things to come. But some of those passes earlier on, I mean Dear God they were bad.

It's strange -- folks on this board will make apology after apology for Ramsey, but they won't cut Hass -- a competitor with a much better feel for the game than Ramsey -- any slack at all. I'm not saying he's better -- Hass just doesn't have the physical skills Ramsey has -- but the guy deserves some respect .

Officially the F.N.G here guys but I am glad ta be here none the less.

It may take a few pass plays to get these receivers to catch a normal pass. You watch Brunell throw the ball and you would see that these WR's are use to someone throwing a bullet pass either too high or behind them. A normal pass in a catchable area maybe a little suprise for once.

Tillman2.jpg

Originally posted by Hooper

It's strange -- folks on this board will make apology after apology for Ramsey, but they won't cut Hass -- a competitor with a much better feel for the game than Ramsey -- any slack at all. I'm not saying he's better -- Hass just doesn't have the physical skills Ramsey has -- but the guy deserves some respect .

And Respect he gets from us. He is a very servicable back-up. Let me remind you that if it wasnt for us, he would be on the streets right now. Hass is a competitor but I do not agree with what you said about him having a better feel for the game than Ramsey. As far as us giving "excuses" for Ramsey, You, nor I have seen what Ramsey can do with a running game, a Pro- offense, a world-beater D, and Some practice time. But wait, Gibbs said Ramsey was and STILL is being thrown into a bad situation, but I guess Gibbs is making excuses, right?:rolleyes:

I think Hasselbeck has looked just as good as Ramsey in the games he's played as a Skin. He's had great games (Giants game last year) and awful ones (Dallas game last year). They all looked bad in the pre-season this year though.

Originally posted by timitim

Officially the F.N.G here guys but I am glad ta be here none the less.

It may take a few pass plays to get these receivers to catch a normal pass. You watch Brunell throw the ball and you would see that these WR's are use to someone throwing a bullet pass either too high or behind them. A normal pass in a catchable area maybe a little suprise for once.

I-666-I-ani-sig-red.gif

Tillman2.jpg

You may wanna take one of those pics out of here. ;)

I love him too, but Im just trying to be helpful

But anyways, Welcome! :jump:

In defense of Gardner--he really is a great receiver. He has a great arm, too, which adds the possiblity of reverses and such. While his performance in this game wasn't the best, we can't judge him on one single game. I predicted at the beginning of the year that Gardner would be the most impressive Redskins this year, and while I'm not necessarily sticking to that completely, I'm not backing down, either.

Archived