Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins contact Bengals

Xfactor3

Redskins | Talking To the Bengals - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

21:36 PT: John Clayton reports for ESPN the Washington Redskins have reportedly offered the Cincinnati Bengals their No. 18 pick in the first round and their second round pick in exchange for the Bengals No. 10 pick overall. The Redskins want a shot at drafting Oregon QB Joey Harrington. The Bengals are hesitant to pull the trigger because they know they probably won't have a shot at CB Phillip Buchanan or TE Jeremy Shockey at No. 18.

I would NOT be thrilled with having one pick on the first day. However, if this type of trade were remotely possible, it would be hard to be overly critical of it. I mean, that is not a huge price to pay to move up to No. 10. I'd be shocked if the Bengals would take such an offer though.

It's not too too different, but here's the actual blurb from Clayton.

Bengals busy as draft day approaches

Cincinnati is becoming the central trade spot in the NFL draft. At least five teams are talking to the Bengals, who have the No. 10 pick in the first round. The Bengals are being offered the 18th pick in the first round and a solid second-round choice from the Redskins, who want to move up to take quarterback Joey Harrington. While that offer is more than fair, it will be tough for the Bengals to justify moving back to No. 18 knowing they may lose the chance to get cornerback Phillip Buchanan or tight end Jeremy Shockey. True, they could be able to take tackle Levi Jones, but Jones doesn't make the team better this year. He would be the left tackle of the future.

I couldn't agree more. We have more then one need to fill and trading down would be a big help. San Fran is wanting to move up and I'm sure other teams will like who falls at #18. Moving up is crazy unless Peppers or Haynesworth are there. Even if they were I stll hate the thought on only having 1 pick on the first day.

I can't help but wonder what the heck is wrong with you guys who insist on trading down? Really now.

Since when has the #18 pick ever been a valuable commodity? When the #18 pick is traded... it's often traded as part of a package to move up. This draft, as with most drafts, has about 14-15 players that are highly ranked and then a selection of 2nd rate receivers, tweeners and guards.

If teams are going to trade up... they're not looking to trade up to #18. And if they do... it's because somebody completely unexpected has slipped... and if the Redskins actually have that opportunity... WHY THE HECK WOULD THEY TRADE THE PICK?!?!?

Count me on as someone who's onboard with trading that particular package to get Harrington or one of the top DTs. That's a win-win in my book. To draft a top prospect addressing one of the Skins two BIGGEST areas of need (ie. QB and DT) would be enthralling.

I love Harrington, but I gotta sit back and think about this awhile. Like Art said, the price if it went through is not that high. I mean the only extra pick we give up is our #2, because we get to exercise Cincys #1.

However......... and its a big HOWEVER....... Joey Harrington will wind up sitting on the bench this year and learning, and we will not get any help until the 4th round. And its doubtful the 4th rounder will be able to come in and start at G or DT.

I think I prefer what BCS suggested, which is trading down lower in the 1st round and picking up the extra 3rd rounder. Then if SS approves of Ramsey -- taking him -- and then using the 2nd and 3rd rounder on a potential starting G and DT. And/or signing free agent G Bob Hallen after the draft, who I think is a decent starting guard and center. I mean is there that much difference between Harrington and Ramsey? I dont know frankly...... only SS has some idea about that.

I know one thing..... if we trade up and take Harrington, Bulldog and NavyDave are going to be pissed when they get up in the morning and read this. Christ........ NavyDave is liable to launch a friggin ICBM missile on Cincinnati and then blame it on the Russkies. :(

By the way BCS........ Big Bubba says you look good in your new S&M outfit. He's made a photocopy of your picture and has it hanging in his cell now. :rotflmao:

Yeah man... mebbe its the heat wave talkin, but I'm up for a risk. Screw the 2nd rounder. One of the big 4 DTs or Harrington would suit me just fine.

One of the DTs would probably help us out more this year, but damnit, I want a franchise QB! Look, the Texans are taking Carr at #1, and half of the personnel directors in the league would choose Harrington over Carr. Harrington at #10 is a value! Obviously Spurrier thinks there's enough of a difference between Ramsey and Harrington to move up instead of down. Harrington is already a money QB, and with his QB coaching voodoo action in a wide open offense, he's only going to get better. He has that money 4th quarter attitude that we all love, to go along with the physical tools.

And if he's not there, we're still hooked up. Throw one of those guys in the middle of the line, and we're sooo money on defense, with or without Trotter.

If there's going to be any trade... I think it'll be a prearranged draft day trade when the Bengals are on the clock and a player the Skins want is still on the board.

The only thing I'd regret about the trade is that it would nullify the ongoing bet I have with Inmate. And I already have an icon picked out and ready to go :)

Inmate wrote:

By the way BCS........ Big Bubba says you look good in your new S&M outfit. He's made a photocopy of your picture and has it hanging in his cell now.

BCS!!?? Who the he11 is BCS???!! I'm TCWCW for heaven's sake!

Oh, and let Big Bubba and the rest of your BUNKmates know that I made the centerfold in next months issue of "Clowns & Chains" magazine.:D

I was listening to either FOX sports radio or ESPN this morning, we get them all in LA (4 total) Spurrier is currently on vacation right now, so it must be Synder doing all the work or creating this buzz. yeah they were mocking spurrier for his lax attitude or mentality toward the NFL.

I look forward the draft and watching it, I don't like the day to end with just one pick, but landing one of the 4 DT seems worthwile. We can sign a vetern OG afterwards. Trotter looks like he's running out of options and teamed up with one of the 4 DT has me drooling. :drool:

trading up to #10 may not even be enough for Harrington. The Chiefs are reportedly very interested in Joey as well (they pick #8) If any trade happens, it won't happen until draft day. The Skins need to be sure that there's a shot at getting Harrington. If the Lions or Bills take him then there doesn't appear to be a reason to move up. (I am assuming Snyder/Spurrier only will trade up for Harrington, not one of the DTs) IMO, it will be a very good possibility as the Lions are fooling no one by making like they are interested in Harrington and the Bills don't have him listed in their top 5 overall players.

Personally, I would rather trade down and see how the cards fall. But if the Skins are going to trade up, it wouldn't kill me to see Harrington or one of the DTs in burgandy and gold next year.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind trading down and picking up a DT like Freeman. There he wouldn't be considered a stretch. Plus if we do decide to trade down maybe we will pick up a 2nd or even a thrid round pick. We can definitely find value considering the fact that they say this year draft is very deep. Extra 2nd round pick can nab us Ramsey, a WR, OL.

Why don't we make a sweetheart deal with one of the teams in the top 10, and trade up even higher? Throw in a player or two, maybe Marco Coleman? Even though he's old and nobody really wants him, he'd look pretty good packaged with a couple picks.

I dont think it would work Orangeskin. You cant dump an old geezer on somebody like Coleman, who also has a $ 5.3 million dollar contract and say: "he's your problem now." And I wouldnt like the idea of giving up a young starter like Smoot or anyone else. You would be filling one hole and opening up another hole somewhere else. :rolleyes:

I am not a big fan of trading up to land a player. That being said, I think this has been a pretty good off-season so far. It would be a big risk, but if Harrington were to turn out to be a starter for us it would be well worth it. That's a big "if" though. Could be a big set-back if he's not the real deal. And you KNOW what you can get with some of the linemen out there.

I don't know quite what to think about a move like this.

Not having a second round draft pick does make me wince. We have gotten some great value with that second round pick in past drafts and I'd love to see that continue. I can really see the benefit of filling our guard, run stuffing tackle, receiver, saftey type needs with trades down rather than a trade up.

But if our first and second could net us a stud DT or a future franchise quarterback, I really can't argue with that.

The only place that doesn't look good to me is staying pat. :nono: I get a feeling I'm not going to come away from this draft extreme-ly happy.

If we can't get Harrington, forget about QB all together. Focus on DT's and guards. Harrington is the only exception to this. If we can trade up to get him, then so be it. I'd also consider trading up to pick up one the great DT's in the draft. If that happens, and we end up getting Trotter, our only minor concern is safety, and we are looking at one hell of a defense for Marvin Lewis to coach.

I seriously doubt Ramsey can come in and do a better job than Sage or Wuerful. This guy obviously has talent, but we can't forget how much attention college QB's get in the draft, only to fail to meet expectations more often than not. We can address QB next year, if we need to.

Go with a linemen. If we don't trade up, and none of the top 4 DT's are there, go with Fonoti or Gurode. If we do trade up, go ahead and pick up a partner in crime for Big Daddy.

Archived