Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Mistakes Have Cost Us the Season

skins4eva

Originally posted by GrimReefa

Gibbs has been gone 12 years. Tuna was gone, what, 3? Gibbs has been fooling around with NASCAR - Tuna was doing football analysis for ESPN. Every development over the last 12 years, Tuna knew about. Gibbs had no clue. It's not that there is anything wrong with Gibbs - he just hasn't been paying attention. So he's a little out of touch. It only makes sense.

I agree with everything you said, except for this. Gibbs has been involved with the Atlanta Falcons as a minority owner for some years (how many seems to be up for argument). I have a hard time believing that Gibbs wasn't paying attention at all. Snyder has made repeated attempts to lure Gibbs back, even if it was for part ownership only. Gibbs turned him down each time because he wasn't ready to rejoin society, as it may be. Rusty, he may be. Out of touch? Mmmm...I don't know.

I think, right now, anything that is going on with Gibbs & the Skins is up for discussion & inevitably, someone will say something to the effect of "Gibbs doesn't know what he is doing", but Gibbs has always been secretive. He never let on that he knew more than he did. That's part of his genius. No, I don't think losing 6 games out of the 1st 9 is part of his genius, but it's not far from what I'm thinking. He wants the Iggles, Stealers, & Pukes to think that he is totally lost. And right now, the team is PLAYING like he (& the team) is totally lost (well, the offense anyway). We have seen a couple of games this season already where they really seem to click...for half a game. And then we see games like yesterday where they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat! I think these are signs of good things. Why? Because those spots of genius, brilliance, & shining will start to become more & more evident BEFORE the season is over.

I don't think that Gibbs is out of touch. I think he is learning the team & they are learning him. I think he is rusty, in some ways. I think that he needs to adjust, which I believe he is doing. But I don't think he is out of touch.

Beyond that, I agree with just about everything else you said. Especially how once our offense starts to match our defense, we will be...

UNSTOPPABLE!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry...my evil genius side started showing thru there for a minute. :evil:

:cheers:

Originally posted by Henry

I think some of you guys are forgetting just what this team looked like a year ago.

Last year our defense was ranked 23rd.

Our offense was ranked 23rd.

We were 5-11. We won 2 of our last 12 games. We were a rudderless team with a clueless coach which hadn't improved its win total in five years.

There was a LOT of work to do.

Since then, we've got a running back on pace for 1600 yards, which would be 1000 more than last year's leading rusher.

We've got a defense that's as good as any Redskin defense I've ever seen. We've got a defense that's better than any defense Gregg Williams has ever coached.

We've got a special teams unit that is really starting to come around. Blocked punts. Big returns. Punts downed at the one yard line. You name it.

We are a team with an identity. We are a tough running, hard-nosed defensive team that gives everyone we play a tough fight. We're just a QB away.

The only reason anyone is complaining about missed opportunities is because Gibbs has provided those opportunities. Sure, sometimes a coach can come in and turn things around immediately. Coughlin, Mora ... those guys started winning right away. But usually, it takes a season before everything's in place. Fox, Reid, Belichek, Mariucci (twice), Vermeil (twice) .. these guys needed more than one year to get everything in place to become serious contenders. And as much as we'd all like to believe otherwise, the Redskins were more than a player or two and a new coaching staff away.

Yes, Brunell was a mistake. And it's costing us games. But remember it's costing us games we wouldn't have won anyway had Gibbs not been here.

I know we're all sick of losing, but this team has gone through so many coaches and coordinators over the past few years. Give our current guy more than half a season to turn things around. I'm still betting he will. He's already done a lot of good.

:applause:

Originally posted by ummagumma

Why not talk about last year...Last year we averaged - AVERAGED 18 pts a game without Clinton portis

in 2002 They AVERAGED 19 points per game. AVERAGED more than this years high. And Davis missed a lot of that season. He only had 200 carries.

So tell me again why I shouldn't expect more from the offensive offense?

Last year the Dallas defense was #1 in the NFL. This year, with pretty much the same personell, it's #28. I know, let's blame Parcells for bringing in Wiley. Stupid, high profile free agent. He destroyed that defense, and it's all Parcells' fault.

I dont know if this has been brought up, but the one thing that is going to continue to hurt us is, that JG essentially traded a second round pick next year for Brunell because if we still had our own third round pick last year, we probably wouldn't have have had to trade our second this year for Cooley. and it will probalby be a very high second! :mad:

Guest Gichin13

I gotta keep faith in Joe. Is he rusty? Sure. Did he hang on to Brunell for too long? Yup, but loyalty counts long term.

I think a better way of looking at it is to see what we have.

1. Solid defense. Playing well despite lots of injuries to starters. With Lavar and Bowen, would probably be even better right now. Corners have played way better than expected.

2. Developing special teams. Hurt again losing kicker to injuries. Initially weak coverage teams have picked up dramatically over time. Thrash has played great here.

3. Inconsistent wide receivers -- part of this is on the QB for bad throws, part of WRs for lots and lots of drops in the hands/numbers.

4. Great running back. Nuff said.

5. Decent running O line. Extremely weak pass protection. Loss of Jansen really hurts here. Jansen back, plus a couple free agents on the O line (and signing Samuels??), and this gets a lot more solid.

6. Question mark at QB.

Originally posted by Gichin13

I gotta keep faith in Joe. Is he rusty? Sure. Did he hang on to Brunell for too long? Yup, but loyalty counts long term.

I think a better way of looking at it is to see what we have.

1. Solid defense. Playing well despite lots of injuries to starters. With Lavar and Bowen, would probably be even better right now. Corners have played way better than expected.

2. Developing special teams. Hurt again losing kicker to injuries. Initially weak coverage teams have picked up dramatically over time. Thrash has played great here.

3. Inconsistent wide receivers -- part of this is on the QB for bad throws, part of WRs for lots and lots of drops in the hands/numbers.

4. Great running back. Nuff said.

5. Decent running O line. Extremely weak pass protection. Loss of Jansen really hurts here. Jansen back, plus a couple free agents on the O line (and signing Samuels??), and this gets a lot more solid.

6. Question mark at QB.

That's spot on. And considering this is Year One I think that's not too bad. This offseason we'll have a LOT fewer holes to fill, which mean a lot fewer chances to make a Brunell-like mistake.

Archived