Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JJG: Dear Diary

Ax

Dear Diary,

Well, another week has gone by and we continue to stumble on offense. We lost to Green Bay 28-14. The fans are really starting to get restless. They booed Mark pretty badly, while chanting for Patrick. I wish I could tell them everything that is wrong. But you know I can’t. I think they’d understand, and some would probably agree with my reasoning, but you know it’s not my style to criticize guys in public. I’ll tell you, since I know you won’t let it get out.

Patrick has made great strides since we got here, and I believe he is ready. Unfortunately, the rest of the offense is not ready to provide him with the kind of help he will need to succeed. As I’ve told you before, when I first got here, this kid was almost ruined. Some of the national media got it right when they wondered if the beating he had suffered last year might have affected him to the point that he would never be the same. They were half right. It affected him a lot. That’s why I’m not gonna just throw him back out there until the rest of the offense learns what the heck to do. This kid is gonna help us win some more Super Bowls. He’s too valuable to risk at this point.

Our offensive line is still struggling a lot. We’re only getting it right a third of the time. Guys are still blowing assignments, but more times than not they’re just flat out getting beat at the line. Mainly up the middle, but that right side has been a problem ever since Jon went down. I’ve simplified things as much as I can. Of course now they say we’re only running a few different plays. Go figure. Until these guys start getting’ it done seventy five percent of the time, Patrick will be safe on the sidelines with me. Mark knew coming in that he was gonna take the heat for all our problems on offense. I guess that’s why we paid him so much. Not many guys, money or not, would agree to come in and be a punching bag while the team is learning. He’s been a trooper so far. I just hope for his sake he starts hittin’ a few more plays so the fans will at least ease up a bit.

The fans see Mark make mistakes during a game, and want him benched. They don’t seem to see that the number of mistakes he’s made are not much more, and sometimes less, than the mistakes made by some others on the offense. They see Mark miss open receivers 5 times in a game. And, that is glaring, for sure. But they don’t seem to think our running backs missing five blocks against blitzes, or our tight ends blocking the wrong guy five times, or our receivers failing to beat the press off the line of scrimmage half the time, as any big deal. I can’t bench everyone. (Although you know if it weren’t for the salary cap, I would most certainly send some guys packing) And they want me to send Patrick in there just to get killed because one these guys forgot who to block since practice? I don’t think so.

Anyway, I know things will get better. I pray that it starts to happen soon. Our fans have suffered a long time since I left the first time. I’ll continue to work hard everyday to get us all back where we want to be. And this time I’m putting in the foundation so that after my next retirement, things won’t fall apart again.

See you next time, JJG

The fans see Mark make mistakes during a game, and want him benched. They don’t seem to see that the number of mistakes he’s made are not much more, and sometimes less, than the mistakes made by some others on the offense.

I disagree, Mark's mistakes have been devastating at times. Overthrowing wide receivers not only in the middle of the field but in the endzone? I know the OL is having problems, but what excuses those overthrows to wide open receivers when he IS getting protection; you don't think that doesn't rip the hearts right out of the O-lineman, not to mention the fans?

Mark's made his share of glaring mistakes, no doubt. When he makes his, though, they're out there for all the world to see. When an O lineman or RB whiff on a block, and the pass rusher is in Mark's face before the WR has even run his pattern and forces either a throwaway, scramble or sack, nobody seems to want to string the guy up however.

I wonder how well someone like Clinton Portis, for instance, has graded out on his total assignments as compared to Brunell. Would make for an interesting dynamic around here if we got to see the complete weekly report card that each player gets every Monday. :)

Originally posted by Potato Sack

I disagree, Mark's mistakes have been devastating at times. Overthrowing wide receivers not only in the middle of the field but in the endzone? I know the OL is having problems, but what excuses those overthrows to wide open receivers when he IS getting protection; you don't think that doesn't rip the hearts right out of the O-lineman, not to mention the fans?

Well how do we know, that on a play where the Oline missed a block forcing Mark to run out of the pocket and then throw the ball away, that the receiver didn't get wide open and Mark would have hit him for a touchdown? We don't. You can argue over how likely or not it might have been, but there is NO WAY to know for sure.

That missed TD is as equally devastating as on overthrow for a possible first down. Wouldn't you say? It's just not as obvious.

And nothing excuses the overthrown balls. When they're there, he needs to hit his man. But, we should hold everybody on the offense to the same standard. The trouble is, most other offensive screw ups don't always stand out like a QB miscue. Which everybody sees.

Like Om said, I wonder what the numbers would be if you could add up every mistake, made by every player on offense. Fans can't do it because they don't know what everyone on a particular play was SUPPOSED to do. I trust Gibbs and his staff enough to let them decide what we should, or should not do.

That's a fair assessment, Oldskool, and Mark's apparent growing rep around the league seems to be encouraging teams to load up and come after him ... but it's not the only thing we're seeing.

We're also seeing other teams get pressure and come free even when we DO have the numbers in. As a result, we're having to keep more people assigned to max protect, and Mark has fewer targets to go to.

Point is ... it's not all one thing or the other. It's a combination of poor pass pro in spots, poor QB play in spots, poor route running/pass catching in spots ... etc. I find it amazing that so many people seem to truly believe that the QB is more than just a part of the equation here ... as well as how many people don't accept that Gibbs probably has a clue when it comes to deciding what changes need to be made, and when.

Originally posted by Om

That's a fair assessment, Oldskool, and Mark's apparent growing rep around the league seems to be encouraging teams to load up and come after him ... but it's not the only thing we're seeing.

We're also seeing other teams get pressure and come free even when we DO have the numbers in. As a result, we're having to keep more people assigned to max protect, and Mark has fewer targets to go to.

Point is ... it's not all one thing or the other. It's a combination of poor pass pro in spots, poor QB play in spots, poor route running/pass catching in spots ... etc. I find it amazing that so many people seem to truly believe that the QB is more than just a part of the equation here ... as well as how many people don't accept that Gibbs probably has a clue when it comes to deciding what changes need to be made, and when.

My thought has always been that the inability of the starting QB to make the throws necessary for this offense to succeed is the cause of the problems.

The missed blocks, inability for the RB to run in certain spots, missed catches by WR, fumbles, etc are the symptoms of the problem.

Again Im done calling for Brunell’s head on a silver platter. This season has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Originally posted by Oldskool

My thought has always been that the inability of the starting QB to make the throws necessary for this offense to succeed is the cause of the problems.

The missed blocks, inability for the RB to run in certain spots, missed catches by WR, fumbles, etc are the symptoms of the problem.

Well, if that's your thought and that's all you truly believe there is to it ... I don't suppose anything anybody---from Ax to bubba to Utah to me to anyone else including Joe Gibbs himself---is going to change it.

Still find it amazing, mind you, given that you're a big enough fan to have found your way here and probably read all you can get your eyes on about the team and the league and such ... but I won't try to change it. :)

Originally posted by Om

Well, if that's your thought and that's all you truly believe there is to it ... I don't suppose anything anybody---from Ax to bubba to Utah to me to anyone else including Joe Gibbs himself---is going to change it.

Still find it amazing, mind you, given that you're a big enough fan to have found your way here and probably read all you can get your eyes on about the team and the league and such ... but I won't try to change it. :)

its possible that Im in a state of denial about the shortcomings of the offense, and it may not be just Brunell's fault.

However if im in that river, im not alone. Joe Gibbs and Mark Brunell might be floating downstream with me.

Originally posted by Oldskool

its hard for your O lineman to look good when defenses are playing cover zero and overload you on a regular basis. Even the best O lineman whiff blocks when there are too many defenders to block and your assignments are blown.

True.

But also true is the fact that on many occasions, teams are getting to the QB with a four man rush. We all can agree that when Brunell gets an open shot at a wide open receiver, we want him to hit it EVERY TIME.

And when the D is only rushing four, and we've got five linemen and one TE protecting the QB, we should win that battle EVERY TIME.

We don't. More often than not I'd suspect.

Archived