Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2004 not the breakout year for youth vote after all..........

TC4

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/11/02/politics2059EST0779.DTL&type=printable

2004 not the breakout year for youth vote after all

- SIOBHAN McDONOUGH, Associated Press Writer

Tuesday, November 2, 2004

(11-02) 21:39 PST WASHINGTON (AP) --

This was not the breakout year for young voters that some had anticipated.

Fewer than one in 10 voters Tuesday were 18 to 24, about the same proportion of the electorate as in 2000, exit polls indicated. Still, with voter turnout expected to be higher overall, more young people appeared to have come out.

A vigorous push on college campuses by both parties and national mobilization drives had raised expectations that 2004 would be the year of the youth vote.

Exit polls indicated that young people who did vote were strongly supporting Democrat John Kerry over President Bush, while they were evenly split between Bush and Democrat Al Gore four years ago.

The exit polls were conducted for The Associated Press by Edison Media Research and Mitofsky International.

First-time voters made up about 10 percent of the electorate, about the same as in 2000, and they favored Kerry. Four years ago, the group leaned toward Gore.

The economy and moral values were the top issues for young voters, with about one-fifth of those surveyed choosing each. Young people concerned about moral values strongly supported Bush, while those interested in the economy and jobs chose Kerry.

Iraq and terrorism were next on the list -- with Kerry winning the Iraq vote and Bush taking the terrorism group.

"It's definitely the war," said Eliana Deutsch, 20, of San Diego, explaining why she came out. "People see these soldiers who are 18 and don't have an education, and they're over there dying. It's really sad that that (the military) is their best option."

Sarah White, 18, a North Palm Beach high school student in Florida who was excited about voting for the first time, went for Bush, saying, "I agree with a lot of what he stands for."

Jay Strell, a spokesman for Rock the Vote, a campaign targeting 18- to 25-year-olds, said the voter turnout among young people was impressive this year.

"The issues at stake in this election -- the war in Iraq, the prospect, however remote, of a draft, the economy -- are all reasons more young people came out to vote this election, " he said. "They are clearly being more impacted by the issues at stake in this election."

Good.

I'm only 24 but from what I can see of the young in this country, is that they aren't smart enough to navigate the rivers of bias. They are way to quick to believe rumors in most cases.

Then you have the half a story, half assumption folks. They will tell you things like "didn't Bush get caught doing coke in teh white house" and you can't help but laugh.

If you don't know the issues, don't vote. It's that simple.

Young people (my demographic) are easily swayed by idealistic, "touchy feely" slogans. Feed the poor. Corporations are evil. Globalization is evil. Equality for all.

There's little comfort found in the conservative idealogy, which is basically work hard and pull yourself up by your bootstraps, or fall on your ass. Don't expect to be provided for, and don't claim to be a "victim" when you don't succeed.

Originally posted by Destino

Good.

I'm only 24 but from what I can see of the young in this country, is that they aren't smart enough to navigate the rivers of bias. They are way to quick to believe rumors in most cases.

Then you have the half a story, half assumption folks. They will tell you things like "didn't Bush get caught doing coke in teh white house" and you can't help but laugh.

If you don't know the issues, don't vote. It's that simple.

I never thought about this until my brother made a comment about it the other day. We were watching tv ... and stupid P. Diddy came on and started preaching about voting. My brother - whom I don't normally agree with about politics - made an awesome point. He said something to the effect that it's crazy .... Some people are just going to go out and vote because P. Diddy said so. I'm not saying that all young adults are going to vote because Diddy says to ... I'm saying that there is a chance that they will vote for the wrong reasons. I do not want a large number of uneducated people - whether they be young or old - voting on things that they haven't educated themselves about.

Hell ... I would assume that a lot of adults don't educate themselves about the issues at hand .... It's one thing to properly educate yourself about the issues and candidates ... but then it's another thing to just go out and vote because Diddy is boasting "Vote or Die."

Bofluid ... where are you on this? You were pretty good wording this .... Go to work for me on this!!!

Originally posted by NavyDave

Actually the gameplay of GTA San Andreas kept em distracted til voting closed

Greatest analysis ever.

:laugh:

Although more young people voted, it stayed par for the course with the other demographics. This is my second Presidential election, and it's unfortunate that so few people my age vote.

I didn't vote at 18. I was still in HS and voting hadn't even crossed my mind until my friend working for one of the Presidential candidates called and polled me concerning candidates.

I joined him as a volunteer for the same president, but since it was too late to register to vote I didn't.

Since that time I have payed close attention to politics, though not as close as many. I try to remain open to various opinions, but as another poster said, the older I get the more conservative I get. By conservative, basically I just want the government to leave me and everyone else alone. The less government the better is my motto.

My cousin spouted off Michael Moore lies as truth - he's 25. I probably did the same thing to some extent at his age, but even then I tried to find the truth as best I could.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Peace

Archived