Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins strike years???

Mr. S

as anyone can tell from my age, I barely do remember anything of the skins til about 1991/92. What is the constant argument for saying we won 2 of our super bowls in strike years. Someone clarify this for me.

The last few games of the season were played by scabs? If so, were the playoffs and super bowls played by our normal players? Also, those last few regular season games of scabs were played against teams who had players cross the picket line already?

If this is all true, then why is there an argument, we seem to have won our playoffs and super bowls with normal players. Also, to take a buncha scabs and play them against other teams normal rosters, and win, I think takes a lot of talent. If someone has a detailed explanation or something, thatd help, cause I think its pretty stupid how people keep making that claim against us, we've only won one super bowl w/o scabs or whatever.

No, in 1982 there was an abbreviated season where there were only about 9 or 10 regular season games (all played by regulars) along with a modified playoffs.

In 1987 three early-season games were played by scabs but the other 12 games were played by regulars (one game was cancelled) along with a regular playoff and SB.

The knock is that Gibbs won two of his SBs during years that were abnormal. It's something that I think is more of a positive than a negative, but that's just me.

I agree with TD, if was absolutely harder,

In '82 8 teams made the playoffs in each conference, so the Skins had to play through 3 rounds of playoffs to get to the SuperBowl. We beat Detroit, Minn., then Dallas in the NFC Championship, then Miami for the Superbowl.

In '87, it was one of the best coaching jobs Gibbs ever did, every team basically had a bunch of scabs playing for 3 games, a few teams had a few regulars cross the picket lines and play, but Gibbs coaching led the Skins to a 3-0 record during the replacement player games, we went 8-4 the rest of the year to finish 11-4 overall and were the #2 seed in the playoffs, SF got upset in the 1st round, so we hosted and beat Minn. for the NFC championship.

Those who claim it is tainted are just jealous that their team didn't win it during those years.

1982 ended up being a nine game season. Becuase of this, they threw the divisions out and simply let the top eight teams from each conference play an extended tournament-style playoffs. So even though we were the top seed at 8-1, we had to play three playoff games to get to the SB. We beat the Lions, Vikings and Cowboys by a combined score of 83-31 to get to the SB, which we won.

1987 was closer to normal, although weeks 3-5 were played by scabs. Some teams took this seriously, some didn't. Gibbs and Cooke took this very seriously, getting decent players and winning all three games. However, Gibbs insisted that none of his regulars cross the picket lines, because he wanted his guys to stick together and play as a team when the strike ended. Other teams didn't follow this line of thinking. Dallas, for example, has several key starters return for the week 5 game against us, such as Danny White, Tony Dorsett, Randy White and Too Tall Jones. But we still managed to win that game, in Texas Stadium no less. The playoff format was standard, but some of the records may have been skewed because of the strike. Still, we were a good team (we were 8-4 in non-scab games) and probably would have made the playoffs anyway.

It deserves an asterisk, just like the Spurs championship in '99. What it does not, however, do is take away from the accomplishment and greatness of Coach Gibbs. Any strike year should be denoted by an asterisk just to show that a full season wasn't played by the regular playing body. I don't think that takes away as much in the NFL as it did in the NBA because so many players were out of shape and the season was only half as long. The NFL has a much shorter regular season, so one can argue that the strike didn't affect the outcome nearly as much as the NBA's lockout of '99.

Originally posted by Mittens

How is putting together a team of players who don't normally play, or play together, and come out winning, a sign of bad coaching?

I don't see anyone saying it is, but the only argument people can use is that the entire season wasn't played per normal scheduling and therefore wasn't an even playing field.

Gibbs and Beathard did get kudos for keeping the team together during the first strike season and acquiring talent for the second. But because it was not a ful 16 game schedule some teams never recovered or never got it together so they criticize them for not winning when everything is normal

well, i mean, we got to the playoffs often during the 1980's and whatnot. It seems to me pointless to criticize us since we won despite playing with scabs against other scabs and picket crossers. And if the playoffs and super bowl were still won by normal players, I dont understand the knock against us, we still won either way.

Thanks for clarifying this everyone!!!

Gibbs inmate scab QB threw extremely well. Those games were fantastic and they all played with alot of emotion and heart. We beat Dallas with Danny White and Dorsett? I can not remember if Dorsett was one who crossed the line or not.

Gibbs and Co put together a team that won all 3 replacement games, one at home vs. Arizona, one on the road vs. Parcells Giants, one vs. Dallas in Dallas, where Dallas had MOST of their starters cross the picket line early because of an expected tenative agreement in the coming week and the 'Skins still playing with all replacement players. - Add to that the Redskins QB was injured in the 1st quarter of the Dallas game and the back-up scab QB came in and lead them to victory.

This is a perfect example of Gibbs, Bugel, Breaux and company's talent at preparation.

Originally posted by TLusby

Gibbs inmate scab QB threw extremely well. Those games were fantastic and they all played with alot of emotion and heart. We beat Dallas with Danny White and Dorsett? I can not remember if Dorsett was one who crossed the line or not.

I've got that game on DVD - Dorsett kept flip-flopping his postition on the strike and fans in Dallas booed him every time he ran the ball.

Archived