Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deion expect release: Post Article

The moment he's a non-Skin, I'm going hope he gets knocked silly that send him into permanent retirement. Let's see what that punk does when he can't play sports anymore.<br /><br />I don't see how Marty can allow Deion to play on this team this year. He would have no crebility to allow a player to talk garbage and then welcome him back. The Skins may let Deion squirm for a while but Deion must not be on the roster opening day. I know people are thinking of pushing everything to 2003. We are talking about tying up 4.6 million in the 2003 cap vs 5.7 million in the 2002 cap. We got people to sign in 2003 and we will needed that cap space. The last thing I want is Sanders dead cap space prevents us from signing Bailey and Jansen. Don't delude yourself into to thinking they will sign a long term deal in advance. They won't.<br /><br />Well, here's the damn article.<br /><br />>> <br />Sanders Expecting to Be Released <br /> _____Farewell Deion?_____<br /><br />By Mark Maske and Hal McCoy<br />Washington Post Staff Writers<br />Tuesday, June 5, 2001; Page D1 <br /><br />Cornerback Deion Sanders said last night he thinks the Washington Redskins and Coach Marty Schottenheimer are "playing a waiting game" with him by saying they are considering keeping him.<br /><br />"I know they are going to have to release me and when that happens, I'll jump up in the air and click my heels twice," said Sanders last night in Cincinnati before the Reds' game against St. Louis. "They'll be paying me . . . for doing nothing. Marty Schottenheimer doesn't want me. He doesn't want me at all.<br /><br />"They are playing a waiting game. That's exactly what they are doing. They know Ken Griffey Jr. is coming back [from the Reds' disabled list] soon and they are waiting to see what the Reds do with me then. They also won't release me right now because that would give a lot of other [NFL] teams time to make room for me in their salary structures. That's all they're doing. He doesn't want me. I don't trust him as far as I can throw him."<br /><br />Sanders, an outfielder who bats leadoff for the Reds, was hitting .172 entering last night's game against the Cardinals.<br /><br />Schottenheimer said earlier yesterday that the Redskins would be able to find ways to clear the salary cap space they need without releasing Sanders. Schottenheimer also indicated that he is prepared to wait weeks, if necessary, to decide whether to retain Sanders or release him to create more than $3.6 million of room beneath the $67.4 million salary cap.<br /><br />"We have a number of options," Schottenheimer said. "We have means by which we can do that with Deion still here. . . . We've had any number of scenarios as it relates to the cap situation and cap compliance."<br /><br />If the Redskins keep Sanders, they probably would get the salary cap space they need by releasing one or more veteran players and reworking several players' contracts, either by restructuring deals or negotiating pay cuts.<br /><br />Safeties Mark Carrier and Sam Shade could be in danger of being released. There was speculation earlier in the offseason about cornerback Darrell Green and defensive lineman Kenard Lang being released. Schottenheimer has said he does not envision releasing Green, and Lang is working with the starting defense at tackle. Shade, Green and tailback Stephen Davis could be among the candidates for contract reworkings.<br /><br />"What we'll do, both through the economic mechanics and the competitive mechanics, is whatever is necessary to put the best 53 players on the field," Schottenheimer said. "That's the only way you can win."<br /><br />The Redskins have been assigned a rookie pool of $2.7 million by the NFL, essentially a salary cap within the overall salary cap for a team to sign its draft picks. The Redskins apparently are close to a deal with free agent running back Greg Hill and could re-sign free agent guard Jay Leeuwenburg. Schottenheimer also has talked about the possibility of signing a safety, another linebacker, a reserve tackle and perhaps a veteran backup quarterback.<br /><br />Sanders's contract with the Redskins allows him to miss football practices and games if he is playing baseball. But if he is released by the Reds and is not signed by another major league team, his seven-year, $56 million football contract would compel him to report to training camp with the Redskins or risk having the team attempt to force him to return a portion of his $8 million signing bonus.<br /><br />The Redskins have Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey and Green. They used their second-round draft choice on cornerback Fred Smoot and signed free agent cornerback Donovan Greer. Schottenheimer said he could find roles for everyone.<br /><br />Schottenheimer said he has no deadline for resolving the matter but reiterated that he would expect Sanders to be on hand for the opening of training camp in July if Sanders is going to play for the Redskins next season.<br /><br />"There's nothing that we have to do" now, Schottenheimer said. "There's a long way between now and the opener."<br /><br />Redskins Notes: Outside linebacker LaVar Arrington was absent from yesterday's voluntary practice. Said Schottenheimer, "LaVar Arrington needs to be here." . . .<br /><br />Rookie linebacker Jauron Dailey, an undrafted free agent from Florida A&M, hurt his knee during yesterday's practice. The extent of the injury was not immediately clear.<br /><br />Maske reported from Washington; special correspondent McCoy contributed from St. Louis.<br /><br />© 2001 The Washington Post Company <<<<<br /> <br /> [ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Die Hard ]

Deion, commenting on Marty : "I don't trust him as far as I can throw him."

This, coming from Mr Con Artist, himself ?

Yea sure. Don't trust Marty... But trust Deion... Yea, we can confide in Deion. He won't let us down, or betray or manipulate, or deceive us. Yea, EVERYONE can trust Deion. I wouldn't trust him with a nickel.

rolleyes.gif

Can he even open his mouth anymore, without spewing garbage ?

Like Deion says, ya can't trust Marty. Is that why all Marty's ex-players are jumping at the chance to play for him ? Gee, I wonder why Deion is the only one who feels that way. Everyone else is in camp, and loving and respecting Marty. But Marty won't kiss up to Deion. So, poor Deion. Deion is the victim. Marty is the evil one.

rolleyes.gif

Oh man. This reminds me of an old RB song we did the "Slow Drag" dance to in 67-69.

"Oh how it hurts, Oh how it hurts,

To say goodbye,

'Cause I'd rather say it now, 'cause it's gonna'

more, after awhile,

We can't make it, no need to fake it,

A new love has set your heart aflame,

Oh how it hurts, Oh how it hurts"

Well, guy this is Your slow drag and I am very sure that the only hurt's coming from someone Not in control.

See now we have a "Psychology Game" in this guy. Huckleberry Finn, I suppose, that relegates himself to thinking the opposite of what he's actually saying. The funny thing about it is, he's been doing it so long, he still believes no one else knows it.

How sad that an athlete that was once so great is self-destructing before our eyes. I feel bad now, but yet it makes me happier knowing that A TEAM will benefit and not just One person.

I just don't want to write about him anymore, if I can help it. I too sensitive? No, just think that the more he talks, the more OBVIOUS it will become, he needs Psychiatric help. I really mean it. Something in him hasn't let go of the anger and hate inside. This man's hurting, like a punch drunk fighter with untold bruises, and yet he doesn't know. Mercy on him, but by all means set him on his path soon!

If Deion gets cut from the Reds, as Schotty I would see it as a guarentee, that he is on our roster for another year. Playing is another matter all together. But I let him rot on the roster for pulling dumba55 quotes like that. Once his obligations to the Reds no longer exist, he would be culpable for that bonus, and he would have to pay back for the time he misses. And if he wants that bad to be cut? No prob, pay back the whole thing moneybags, cheers. smile.gif

I take things way too personal, and would sacrifice cap space to prove a point, Sean Gilbert anyone?

"I'll jump up in the air and click my heels twice," said Sanders last night in Cincinnati before the Reds' game against St. Louis. "They'll be paying me . . . for doing nothing."

Just like the Reds are?

Funny!Just a few months ago he was saying crap like this..

"It's wonderful to be a Redskin," Sanders said. "They've always had something special. There's nothing like these fans, this tradition. There's nothing like Redskins football."

"That's my role model, Darrell Green," Sanders joked after introducing his family."

"I came here to win a Super Bowl. Anything less is uncivilized."

Now he wants the money and could care less about being a Redskin,the fans,the tradition,winning a SB here.Yea..you can trust what Deion saids.smile.gif

i better understand now why we're not releasing deion right away. i was under the impression that we needed the cap space that releasing him would provide. we have some holes on this team and it seemed to me that the skins would be a little more aggressive in free agency after 6/1. but if there aren't any players that marty would feel help the team,then i understand his current approach. however,i'll take several marginal players over deion anyday!

deion on the roster in any capacity would again be a mistake. if marty knows his stuff,he knows deion doesn't have game!! deion will report if need be,he's quite vain. the effort he puts forth and the impact he has would be counter-productive,IMO. it'll take a miracle to get out from this financial hole we've dug investing in him! there's no way he accomodates our situation,no way!

deion's propensity for avoiding contact isn't similar to that of kicker? or a punter? he engages some gawd awful intense work ethic? cha! pro football is a business! a jumper careens off the rim and then the whistle blows? you think the call is on MJ or the no-name guarding him? when it matters,forget it. deion was blessed with an enormous amount of talent and his reputation isn't a fabrication,but his game clearly isn't what it was.

this guy's tank is empty! opponents didn't fail attempting to expose him,they chose to respect him! being respected and making plays are not the same thing. it was champ bailey i saw making play after play defensing the football,not deion. which is why it was bailey who went to the pro-bowl. in coverage,deion doesn't get it done with his feet anymore,he resorts to alot of grabbing and will throw that arm-bar at will. and because of who he is & who the WR usually is,he more often than not,gets away with it!

we've drafted 2 CBs in the higher rds in the last 2 drafts and it's in the best interest of this team to go with them,and see what they've got,IMO! i'm completely convinced we'll enjoy a huge upgrade in run support and tackling from that weakside CB. some have questioned whether champ would be utilized on offense at WR. if the workload he sees on defense lessens,it may happen. hail the skins

LOL Pete! That's the funniest thing I've read about Deion in months! laugh.gif

I've tried to avoid this subject, but after seeing at least ten new threads in the past 24 hours I give in. smile.gif

Deion is apparently frustrated with the fact that he is losing control of the situation. He won't be able to keep up this baseball facade much longer, so he has to try to goad Marty into releasing him ... either that or he missed seeing his name on the front page of the sports section.

It's becoming clear that Marty has been in this business a little longer than Mr. Sanders, and while I would like nothing more than to see Deion gone tomorrow, I love the way Marty is dealing with Sanders as a parent would a 2-year-old throwing a tantrum.

------------------

Hail to the Redskins!

It wouldn't surprise me if Marty didn't wait until the start of training camp. When Deion doesn't show up and gets put on the DNR-retired list, he'll lose even more money and they can fine him for every day he doesn't report, at least until he agrees to return part of his bonus.

Will my wish to see slimetime rot on the bench come true?

Coach Marty won t lose credibility. He is gainng it by showing other players that prima donnas can't get away with robbery or disrespect of the franchise

------------------

Yes I'm paid to think and I need a raise

[edited.gif by NavyDave on June 05, 2001.]

Archived