Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A question we haven't asked yet: Red Zone Offense sucks, why?

NoCalMike

Why has our team been so poor getting the ball in the endzone? Even during our nightmare years, I have never seen our team with this inability to put the ball in the endzone? All three of those INTs landed us right in Ravens territory, and we came away with three points. Pathetic.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

Why has our team been so poor getting the ball in the endzone? Even during our nightmare years, I have never seen our team with this inability to put the ball in the endzone? All three of those INTs landed us right in Ravens territory, and we came away with three points. Pathetic.

we got 10 pts off of the turnovers.

A number of reasons I have observed, although I haven't seen every game on TV.

1- If you can't run the ball in the red zone, you are limited. Portis is too small to be a third-and-one or goal line back. We need a big 240 lb back for this like the Raiders use Zack Crockett -- such as Stacey Mack -- or we need to try former 260 lb fullback Mike Sellers.

2 - To me Gibbs has been surprisingly conservative and poor at play-calling, especally inside the 10 yard line. Play calling used to be his strength. In the Dallas game as John Madden pointed out, he should have called bootleg plays on 2nd down, not 3rd downs. On 2nd down teams dont know if you are going to run or pass, whereas on third and 5 for example, everyone knows it is going to be a pass, therefore they don't fall for the play-action plays.

3 - Cooley is a good H-back in the red zone, but the team doesn't really have a TE up on the line of scrimmage that is a pass catching threat.

4- Running Portis from a one-back set inside the five yard line doesn't fool anyone, because they know Portis is going to get the ball. We need to run out of a two-back set, with an big fullback or H-back leading Portis. Gibbs used to do this in the past. Why he hasn't used this formation now, I have no idea.

How many times when this team gets past the 20 have we actually taken shots into the endzone? Most of the time it's runs or very short passes, on occasion when we get to the 2 and it's 3rd down they'll go for the endzone but by then you know it's coming. The only time they went pass on 1st or 2nd that I can remember is when Ramsey was in and only if Gardner had made the catch.

I, like the others here, think it's just a reflection of our short-yardage offense.

I think for the short-term, we might be best served to lineup and pass the ball 3 straight times in goalline situations. That way we don't waste a play with a run for no gain.

Short yardage situations are something that will drastically improving later on this year I think.

I know EVERYONE here says Rock should not have lost the weight and he is not as....this and that and the other.

However, he has not been given ANY opportunties to convert 3rd down or given ANY opportunity to get in the red zone.

We know he can convert. We all have seen him. We know he can make it into the end zone. We all have seen him.

I think he needs the opportunity.

Blondie

Originally posted by Blondie

I know EVERYONE here says Rock should not have lost the weight and he is not as....this and that and the other.

However, he has not been given ANY opportunties to convert 3rd down or given ANY opportunity to get in the red zone.

We know he can convert. We all have seen him. We know he can make it into the end zone. We all have seen him.

I think he needs the opportunity.

Blondie

:thud: a surprise response from Blondie

:laugh: ;) just teasing

Here's a theory - our O-line is overrated. Would explain the lack of effect had on the offense. Would also explain the last couple of seasons. I'm beginning to think we go to max protect on all passing plays b/c the coaches aren't confident in the linemen blocking 1 on 1. Also, Portis is the kind of back who will fly if the line creates holes - hasn't been happening. We get no push at the lne of scrimmage. Samuels, Thomas and Jansen (before he got hurt) were the only givens.

Originally posted by bubba9497

:thud: a surprise response from Blondie

:laugh: ;) just teasing

I believe in him.

Always have.

Always will.

He can be a leader and can make things happen.

He needs to be on the field.

One thing about it Bubba, I am loyal to a fault.

Blondie

Originally posted by Butz65

Here's a theory - our O-line is overrated. Would explain the lack of effect had on the offense. Would also explain the last couple of seasons. I'm beginning to think we go to max protect on all passing plays b/c the coaches aren't confident in the linemen blocking 1 on 1. Also, Portis is the kind of back who will fly if the line creates holes - hasn't been happening. We get no push at the lne of scrimmage. Samuels, Thomas and Jansen (before he got hurt) were the only givens.

Cant buy this. Our OL has got to be at least as good as the OL's thrown together by the Rams, Chargers and Giants this year. And those teams are running and passing the ball very well. :)

I wouldn't go as far to say our O-line is overrated. Moreso, that they are not as far along in the process of learning, as we would have hoped.

Doc Walker said on the radio show today that because of Gibbs absence from football for so long, he really should be given the first 8 weeks to get things rolling.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Cant buy this. Our OL has got to be at least as good as the OL's thrown together by the Rams, Chargers and Giants this year. And those teams are running and passing the ball very well. :)

The proof is in the pudding. Why was Portis a 1,500 yard back with the Broncos yet can't get past the line of scrimmage here? Why do we only see 2 WR's in routes on passing downs and still give up sacks leading to fumbles leading to TD's?

Last 2 seasons the theory was that Kim Helton and Spurrier's schemes were at fault. Perhaps that's simple denial?

I refuse to believe that Gibbs and Bugel are at fault. This line is either overrated or under-achieving. I just don't get it.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Also the Skins are too predictable in short yardage.

I think this is the biggest issue. Run up the middle on first and second down, then try to playaction roll out on 3rd, thats way too predictable, if we can see it, then the Defenses for our opponents surely can.

Originally posted by mookie0720

I think this is the biggest issue. Run up the middle on first and second down, then try to playaction roll out on 3rd, thats way too predictable, if we can see it, then the Defenses for our opponents surely can.

Who isn't predictable in short yardage? Our problem is that we can't get 1-2 yards on the first try.

Originally posted by Butz65

Why do we only see 2 WR's in routes on passing downs and still give up sacks leading to fumbles leading to TD's?

I refuse to believe that Gibbs and Bugel are at fault. This line is either overrated or under-achieving. I just don't get it.

Gibbs has always run a maximum protect-the-QB offense. Maybe his offense is outdated now or needs to be tweaked. So maybe Gibbs and Bugel are at fault. Only time will tell.

Gibbs has been adaptable in the past. Maybe he needs to install a Mike Martz type offense. I know the Skins OL is as good as the patch job the Rams threw together. They even brought a couple of OL out of retirement. :laugh:

Archived