Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dear Ray Lewis,

cracka

Er, that's how you allow your best players to be the game breakers/makers they are. Put them in situations that allow for them to do so. Don't let them get blocked ect. If in fact Ray is getting doubled as much as he says, then that answers any questions about Ray and his impact on a game. The opposing offensive coaches are doubling him up to get him out of the game. Putting 2 on a LB. That's respect for talent and ability there. He may be a hype machine, but his play developed the hype. Man's good plain and simple.

Originally posted by WVSkinsfan

Buddy,you or I don't know if he did or not but IMO,he deserved some kind of jail time.

Good thing that wasn't for you to decide. I guess his punishment is he will forever be hated by ummm......the people that like to hate.

atlhawksfan

OH GET OFF IT. I didn't want to believe Lewis was involved in that incident at all, but it turns out he WAS partly involved. Two men were killed and NO ONE WAS SENT TO JAIL. Doesn't that strike you as odd?

I mean, if it was in self-defense, wouldn't one of these guys have claimed that a long time ago? I could have understood if that were the case.

But instead they sleazed their way out.

But since it wasn't your brother or son that was killed, you couldn't care less.

Okay. Hands up. Who heard testimony? Who saw evidence? In other words, who here saw what those investigating and trying the case saw and heard what they heard? And all of it I might add. This isn't the game from Sunday. This is talkinga bout murder and such, and unless you were privy to all that info as well, than an uninformed opinion is about the best you can do here I think.

Ray Lewis was charged for murder because his name was Ray Lewis. The same reason 2Pac was in court for rape when the guys who actually the only one's present at the time of the rape did not go to trial.

Hope this doesn't come off too bad but hey...

I'd be damned if someone stabbed me and my buddy to death if me and my buddy had guns in our possession.

Originally posted by Charlie Murphaaay

Ray Lewis was charged for murder because his name was Ray Lewis. The same reason 2Pac was in court for rape when the guys who actually the only one's present at the time of the rape did not go to trial.

Hope this doesn't come off too bad but hey...

I'd be damned if someone stabbed me and my buddy to death if me and my buddy had guns in our possession.

I have to agree with you. I was VERY WILLING to hear that this was self-defense and would have believed it. It's not as if Baker and Lollar struck one as stand-up citizens with no troubles in their past or violent activity.

That said, Lewis and his friends went about it the wrong way, if indeed it was self-defense.

If it wasn't, I don't think Lewis was guilty of murder, I think there's no evidence he was there.

But to assist them in that way? I don't know. Strikes me as being in very poor form and possibly based on something much more dark in Ray's head than what we get to hear.

Ray DID PLEAD GUILTY to obstruction or whatever, so it's not as if the man was cleared of all charges.

Here. A great breakdown of the case for those who wish to read about it.

http://www.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,2473162_59,00.html

ATLANTA -- Two friends and former co-defendants of football star Ray Lewis were acquitted of murder and assault charges Monday in the stabbings of two men after a post-Super Bowl party.

The jury deliberated less than five hours before returning the verdicts in the trial of Joseph Sweeting and Reginald Oakley.

The verdicts came just hours after Lewis practiced with the Baltimore Ravens for the first time since pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge and testifying for the prosecution in the murder case.

Oakley hugged his attorney, Bruce Harvey, who pumped his fist in exuberance when the verdicts were announced. Sweeting leaned over and put his head on the defense table.

Sweeting, Oakley and Lewis were charged with murder, felony murder and aggravated assault in the Jan. 31 deaths of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar, who were stabbed outside the party in Atlanta's Buckhead entertainment district.

Lewis, the NFL's top tackler last season, reached a plea agreement with District Attorney Paul Howard last week. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor obstruction-of-justice charge, testified against Oakley and Sweeting, and will serve a year of probation, but no jail time.

"The irony of this case is the only person convicted in this case was Ray Lewis," Harvey said.

The Ravens' minicamp in Owings Mills, Md., was finished by the time the verdicts came down and Lewis was unavailable for comment. The Ravens said they would have no comment on the acquittals.

Sweeting, a longtime friend of Lewis' from Miami, was charged with Lollar's death. Oakley, an acquaintance of Lewis from Baltimore, was charged with Baker's death.

Both faced life in prison if convicted, but the jury found them innocent on all counts.

"We are deeply, deeply disappointed in the verdict," Howard said. "We thought that we had presented ... substantial evidence that we thought should have resulted in a verdict of guilty for these defendants. That didn't happen."

Families of the victims gathered in the hallway outside the courtroom.

"This is ridiculous," said Faye Lollar, Lollar's aunt. "That money sure did buy a lot of people. All that blood. ... I don't believe this."

Baker and Lollar were stabbed during a street fight that erupted around 4 a.m. as the nightclubs in the Buckhead district were closing after the Super Bowl, which was held in Atlanta.

Evidence showed Baker started the brawl by hitting Oakley in the head with a champagne bottle. Sweeting tried to help Oakley, but never made it because two large men attacked him and dragged him behind a tree, Lewis testified. Lewis said he then saw Sweeting regain his footing and start throwing punches and fighting back.

Lewis said Oakley and another member of Lewis' group, Carlos Stafford, were fighting with Baker. He said Oakley punched Baker four or five times in the chest while Stafford was kicking him.

Lewis was the only witness to put a knife in anyone's hand. He testified that Sweeting, Oakley and another friend, Kwame King, bought knives at a sporting goods store one day before the Super Bowl.

He also told the jury that he demanded an explanation from Sweeting after the fight ended. Sweeting showed him a knife, made punching motions with it and said, "Every time they hit me, I hit them," Lewis testified.

In closing arguments, the district attorney conceded that no witness saw Sweeting or Oakley stab anyone. Instead, Howard insisted there was enough circumstantial evidence to warrant a murder conviction.

The jury deliberated less than five hours before acquitting Joseph Sweeting (left) and co-defendant Reginald Oakley.(AP)

Howard, who said the verdict allowed two guilty men to go free, plans to review the case and may bring charges against other people who were in Lewis' limousine. But those will not likely be murder charges.

"We thought we had the principal doers of this act, and that's still the case," Howard said.

Sweeting's attorney, John Bergendahl, told the jury that the real killer was King, whom Bergendahl called "the man in black." He said King, who has never appeared in court, had a large knife and matched the descriptions several witnesses gave.

Three other men in Lewis' rented limousine -- Stafford and two men known only as Gino and Claudus -- also never appeared in court during three weeks of testimony.

The linebacker's legal fees and expenses will exceed $1 million, but the deal will enable him to keep intact his $26 million contract with the Ravens.

Well, looks like they followed the rule of street fights: Get out alive because they might be trying to kill you.

I wonder why the prosecution was seeking murder on this one, as it seemed more on the level of manslaughter at best(if not self-defense--several men on one or two is a 'fight for your life' situation)

In my opinion Ray Lewis is a great linebacker, quite possibly the best in the NFL, but I also feel he is often over-exposed due to the fact that he dances and celebrates after every tackle he makes, no matter how pedestrian the tackle happens to be. I mean imagine if Lavar was dancing and getting mic'd up for every damn game. Not to say Lavar is on Ray Lewis's level yet, however I think the fact that Ray Ray celebrates after every tackle and hit helps him get more exposure and the commentators will call him a monster or the greatest after a pretty regular looking hit. Also, I don't think enough credit is given to the Baltimore D-line. If you look at our team, if our D-line was half as good as Baltimore's you would see blitzing lanes open up for Lavar, but no with our line, Lavar has to do all the dirty work himself, and on top of that every run play is run the opposite way.

Archived