Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help me out here....

Mickalino

Actually rskin24, that's not entirely true. It's been awhile since I've studied the history of the Middle East, but if memory serves the Israelis launched a pre-emptive strike against the Egyptians mounting forces on their border in 1956. Technically they started that one, but the Israelis would argue it was for defensive purposes.

I don't think you're talking about 1956, I think you're talking about the six day war in '67.<br />In '56 Egypt's seziure of the Suez canal led Isreal to attack.<br />In '67 Egypt, Syria, and Jordan began mobilizing against Isreal. That led Isreal to attack strike. Mobilizing against a country is an act of war...I think. What would you have done in that case? Waited for them to attack?

Ah, I knew it was one or the other. No, I don't think the Israelis had any choice. They have historically had to rely on Arab dissention and disorganization which enables Israel to attack each one seperately. When all three countries coordinated their movements, Israel, unable to maintain a defensive presence on all fronts, decided to fight the war on terms of their choosing. <br /><br />Makes sense, but they did attack first.

I would just like to point out that a Canadian Lester B Person won the Nobel Peace Prize in part for his peaceful solution to the end of the Suez Crisis as well as forming the idea of UN Peacekeepers.

As previously mentioned, this conflict has been<br />going on for thousands of years. This isn't<br />going to end any time soon. I don't blame Israel<br />for fighting back against the suicide bombers.<br />I recently heard some Arabs suggest that Israel<br />was behind the 9-11 attacks, because there was very few Jews in WTC on that day. They were saying they were given advanced notice.

I saw that crap on a list with all the other 9/11 urban ledgands riggins.<br />I wonder who starts that stuff...<br /><br />It's not funny, if that was the purpose.<br /> <br /> <small>[ April 04, 2002, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: rskin24 ]</small>

Romo sits to pee,<br />Did you ever see the movie Michael Collins? Just wondering what you think about its historical accuracy/inaccuracies? I enjoyed the movie quite a bit (even though I'm a direct descendant from an English lord who financed the invasion of Ireland...), but I know relatively little about Irish history. Remembering your disdain for Braveheart, I was curious if you had any observations/criticisms.<br /><br />George Habash once remarked bitterly that he would have been the leader of the Palestinians if only he'd had a different first name. Speaking of names, Arafat is actually Yasir's middle name. He dropped his real last name, Al Husseini, because he did not want people knowing he was related to his uncle, the Grand Mufti. The Grand Mufti was the Muslim spiritual leader who instructed Muslims to leave their homes in '48, promising them that the Arab armies under the guidance of Allah would wipe out all the Zionists, and then the Palestinians could all return home safely. Ooops....

Archived