Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating the trade: Denver lost today too...

DjTj

I was reading the recap of the Denver-Jacksonville game, and I found these highlights:

Denver running back Quentin Griffin fumbled a handoff on the 23-yard line with about 30 seconds to play, allowing the Jaguars to escape with a 7-6 victory against the Broncos.

...It would have been an 40-yard field goal for Jason Elam -- with the wind at his back.

Jimmy Smith caught three passes for 69 yards, including two over Champ Bailey, and has caught at least one pass in 45 consecutive games.

Bailey lined up at receiver several times but didn't have a catch. He dropped a ball on the final possession.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20040919_DEN@JAC

Redskins: 1-1

Broncos: 1-1

Looks pretty even so far...

:dallasuck

Looks pretty even so far...

Um...

I'm not trying to stoke up any flames, but how is it even? Portis fumbled twice and didn't produce against the Giants- a pretty bad team.

Griffin fumbled once (granted, it was a more critical snap) and had about the same production as Portis against one of the best run defenses in the league.

Champ didn't catch any passes as a WR (not a big deal) and gave up 2 catches to a legit WR over the course of a game.

The trade is a "win/win" because each team got what they wanted, but I still don't see how Denver having a feature back (who was apparently ready to shine), elite corner, and 2nd round pick for 1 feature back can really be an even deal.

I can't say the Skins lost on the deal because if Portis can go for 1,500 yards per years in the Gibbs offense, any price is worth it for him, but there isn't a way that the Broncos can lose on this trade, IMO.

Can't these comparison threads just go away? If Portis is producing, everyone got what they wanted, right?

Originally posted by f_dallas

Um...

I'm not trying to stoke up any flames, but how is it even? Portis fumbled twice and didn't produce against the Giants- a pretty bad team.

Personally, I wouldnt say 80 yards and a TD was "not producing". The fumbles hurt, but its not like he did nothing out there.

Oh and then add in that Shawn Springs played a good game at CB including a sack and forced fumble.

Thats how its even.

Archived