Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Injuries Make Arrington, Hall Questionable for Giants

bubba9497

Injuries Make Arrington, Hall Questionable for Giants

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30098-2004Sep17.html

Linebacker LaVar Arrington, who has a sprained left knee, was downgraded to questionable from probable yesterday, and the Washington Redskins have contingency plans should place kicker John Hall not be healthy enough to play tomorrow against the New York Giants in East Rutherford, N.J.

Arrington had a limited practice because of soreness in the knee, which was injured Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but said he intends to play at Giants Stadium.

Coach Joe Gibbs said: "We'll see how he does [today], but we're counting on the likelihood that he's going to play."

Hall isn't fully recovered from a strained hamstring, so Washington is considering signing Ola Kimrin, who was placed on the practice squad yesterday. The Redskins are also mulling having punter Tom Tupa kick field goals.

Hall practiced to some extent yesterday after missing Wednesday's practice and going through some kicking drills Thursday.

"I feel a lot better about it," Gibbs said of the kicking situation.

Hall suffered the injury on the opening kick off of the 16-10 victory over the Buccaneers but played the rest of the game, making three of four field goal attempts with his only miss a 50-yard effort.

Kimrin performed well in the preseason before being released as the Redskins set their regular season roster.

Hall is expected to test his leg today. If he can't go, the Redskins appear likely to sign Kimrin. Should Hall aggravate the injury Sunday, Tupa is an emergency option. "I think we have a couple of ideas there," Gibbs said. "Tupa has down some stuff. We're going to leave all our options open."

GiantSkins?

During the 2003 offseason, the Redskins revamped their roster partly by signing four players from the New York Jets. Wideout Laveranues Coles, right guard Randy Thomas, kick returner Chad Morton and Hall were known as the JetSkins and performed well despite a 5-11 season.

This offseason, the Redskins brought in a bunch of former Giants, signing defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin, linebacker Mike Barrow and cornerback Ralph Brown, who was a surprising cut before the regular season.

Joining Barrow and Griffin for a Giants reunion are defensive backs coach Dewayne Walker, who was with the Giants the two previous seasons, and conditioning coach John Dunn, with the Giants from 1997 to 2003.

"Anytime you go to a place that's a new territory it's nice to have some familiar faces," Barrow said, "And that's what we have here." . . .

Giants left defensive end Michael Strahan didn't practice Thursday or yesterday because of a pulled muscle in his buttocks. But Strahan, who is listed as probable, is expected to play. Strahan -- one of the league's best pass rushers -- will be a big test for right tackle Kenyatta Jones.

Additions and Subtractions

The Redskins yesterday signed linebacker Devin Lemons and released linebacker Dominique Stevenson to make room on the 53-man roster. In other minor roster moves, the Redskins added defensive lineman Ryan Boschetti to the practice squad and released defensive lineman Nic Clemons . . . Several members of the Redskins were forced to temporarily evacuate the upper level of Redskins Park in the late afternoon because of the tornado warnings in Northern Virginia.

Is it just me, or does LaVar always sem to get just a little bit hurt every year - and usually right at the begining of the season?

But he also seems to suck it up and play anyway. We need his athleticism against Tiki.

Hopefully Marcus Washington (and Taylor???) can handle Shockey better than the previous Redskins defense, which seemed to use an "ignore and hope" method of defending him in the past two years. It's no fluke that the only time the Skins have beaten the Giants since Shockey came into the league was the one game he didn't play against us.

I think this will be a close game so we really need a healthy Hall.

Originally posted by Mr. S

i dunno, we need Hall to be solid agian, or we got back to our kicker carousel days again, and I know none of us want that again.

Well, this is not a career ending injury (thank GOD).

I worry about Tupa kicking field goas/kick offs. I think that this game may be a sloopy mess, that may be a kind of grind out game. In which case, you want someone who kicks the forementioned for a provesion.

Archived