Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about Gregg Williams

Golgo-13

If Williams continues to be sucessful here as the DC, do you think we need to worry about him bolting after being offered a HC position? Have you guys heard him say anything one way or another about this? It would suck to have a sweet Defense built up and then watch him leave for another team. :helmet:

I too believe that Williams could be sitting in the co-pilot seat until Gibbs retires and would then be offered the head coaching position. You know if Gibbs thinks as much of Williams to fly to Buffalo in the middle of the night that he'll probably lean into Snyder's ear and tell him he's his replacement. Remember, Gibbs will be Team President AFTER he retires from the sideline.

The landscape of the NFL changes weekly. It's hard to say if he'll be offered anoth HC job or when. Based on his past record as a HC, I would have to say before he is going to be offered another job some DC's around the league still looking for their first job would be offered positions. When he signed on with the Skins, one of the first things he said was how good he felt to be able to get back to coaching without the stress and pressure of being the head coach.

You also have to remember that Williams is making more than many head coaches, so, a team that hires him would have to hire him to a pretty big contract. That for a guy who didn't do that well as a head coach already. It would be pretty controversial.

Also, Williams told Gibbs he was looking for stability. I think he has that here as Gibbs is largely bulletproof and Williams is the clear heir apparent. There's always a risk, of course, and if the Skins finish in the Top 10 on defense Williams will be noticed a lot. In the end though I doubt he'll be leaving.

I think I remember a quote from Williams before we knew that he would be our DC that he wanted to go somewhere where he could stay for at least a few years and not make his family pick up and move again after a year. So I think he will be happy right where he is for at least a few years, especially if we continue with this success.

Originally posted by Art

You also have to remember that Williams is making more than many head coaches, so, a team that hires him would have to hire him to a pretty big contract. That for a guy who didn't do that well as a head coach already. It would be pretty controversial.

He'd probably take a pay cut to be a head coach. Marvin Lewis did.

Just a reminder:

Bill Belichick also had the reputation as a defensive guru and was miserable in his first stint as head coach of the Browns.

He learned from that experience, did some more time as an assistant under Parcels in New England and with the Jets, and, well, you can see the results.

Just because you fail once as a head coach doesn't mean you are destined to always be a failure as a head coach.

If Williams does take over after Gibbs retires, and he makes some sound decisions with his offensive staff (like Belichick did), he can have great success. The Skins are going to have to start developing some offensive assistants, though. I don't see guys like Bugel, Breaux, Simmons, and Burns staying on after Gibbs leaves. That leaves position coaches like Byner and Hixon. They already seem like great choices for their positions. Can they develop the skills and flair for game planning and play calling????

Archived