Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PI: Eagles Notes | McNabb says critics are the ones off target

bubba9497

Eagles Notes | McNabb says critics are the ones off target

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/9539932.htm?1c

One of the most persistent criticisms of Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb is that he's not an accurate enough passer.

It's also the one he seems to like the least and the one that motivates him the most.

"For me personally, people saying that I'm not accurate enough for them... for me to go out and just show them that it's not all about accuracy, it's all about winning games and winning percentage," McNabb said yesterday. "Winning percentage is something as a quarterback that you care a lot about."

McNabb has a 43-21 career record, the best mark among active quarterbacks with at least 60 starts. His career completion percentage is 57.0, and his preseason completion percentage is 47.7.

"It's not about personal stats," McNabb said. "It's not about vendettas or something that you feel that you need to show someone else in order to get them off your back. It's about having the ball in your hands, doing the right things with the ball, and, if nothing is there, doing whatever you can to make a big play."

There is one statistic that McNabb, offensive coordinator Brad Childress and head coach Andy Reid like. McNabb has the second-lowest interception percentage all-time, with just 49 picks in 2,117 attempts. Only Neil O'Donnell is better, with 68 interceptions in 3,229 attempts.

Simon returns. Eagles defensive tackle Corey Simon practiced yesterday for the first time since Aug. 17 and reported afterward that he felt all right. Simon was diagnosed last week with plantar fasciitis, but he is expected to be ready for the Sept. 12 opener against the New York Giants.

He also got a little taste of contact because the team practiced in pads for the first time in two weeks.

Safety Quintin Mikell also was back at practice for the first time since he suffered a knee sprain in the preseason opener against New England.

Wide receiver Terrell Owens did not practice because of a mild abdominal strain.

First cuts. The Eagles cut nine players last night and there wasn't a surprise in the bunch. The list: wide receivers Mark Bartosic, Jerome Leslie, Carlos Perez and Jeremiah Pope; kicker Tim Duncan; offensive lineman Anthony Foli; tight end Ronnie Ghent; cornerback Brandon Pinderhughes; and defensive end Colston Weatherington.

Those cuts left the Eagles' roster at 72, and they must get down to 69 by 4 p.m. today. Four players - linebacker Howard Clark, tackle Dante Ellington, running back Eric McCoo and punter Nick Murphy - still have NFL Europe roster exemptions.

The 53-man roster must be set by 4 p.m. Sunday and the team can sign eight players for the practice squad the following day.

Originally posted by TenaciousB15

I didn't realise he had the 2nd least ammount of interceptions of all time. Nice.

yeah ok and this is what his 5th or 6th season? give me a f***ing break. by this logic it would be safe to say that portis is better than barry sanders because his career ypc is 5.5 and sanders' was only 5. plus it's hard for defensive backs to intercept mcnabb because we all know how inaccurate his throws can be.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Eagles Notes | McNabb says critics are the ones off target

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/9539932.htm?1c

One of the most persistent criticisms of Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb is that he's not an accurate enough passer.

It's also the one he seems to like the least and the one that motivates him the most.

"For me personally, people saying that I'm not accurate enough for them... for me to go out and just show them that it's not all about accuracy, it's all about winning games and winning percentage," McNabb said yesterday. "Winning percentage is something as a quarterback that you care a lot about."

So Donovan is not going to acknowledge a glaring weakness in his game? A true champion I guess. :rolleyes: Sure, the defense had nothing at all to do with a lot of those wins....

Archived