Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gardner is Simply Not Expendable

Ignatius J.

There's been a lot of debate about who is better, McCants or Gardner, and while I am heavily in Gardner's Camp, I think that this debate misses an important point.

I love coles, but he might not make it through this season. As he was lying on the ground after his first hit of the night, I couldn't help but think that this guy has too many things going wrong with his body this year. It is preseason, and the guy already looks beaten.

He will miss playing time, the only question is how much. If any of his injuries become significant, we are going to be thankful that we have all of thrash, mccants and gardner to pick up some of that slack. I wonder if this was a possible consideration in the acquisition of thrash.

Unfortuanatly the doc will shoot him up and he'll play.....He is a warrior but he's too tough for his own good.....I guess we'll just have to deal with it and wait until the offeseason for that surgery. I hate to see him play hurt though.....

His numbers are going to suffer......But Portis should even everything out so we'll look ok....

yea we need to keep gardner. He adds that physical element to our receivers, because he's not afraid to bruise it up the middle of the field and lay a hit on someone. He has deep ball threat due to his size and he might flourish this year with the new holding rules.

Nevertheless, our success in the passing game should stem from the O-line and they looked solid against MIA.

ive always said that Gardner is not expendable, because our great depth at WR goes out once Coles or Gardner are gone. What would we have left w/o those 2 guys, the Eagles situation the last few years, Thrash as the main guy with some relative unknowns in McCants and Jacobs backing him. Plus, Gardner is still someone teams cover well, taking heat off of other players, give Gardner some room and he will catch the ball, and enemy teams know this.

The problem is Gardner isn't fast enough to be a number 1. Not even for a few games. He simply doesn't have the speed to match up with an opposing teams #1 corner.

He can make some pretty catches (half the time) but that's it. He's too slow to be effective if Coles goes down. We'd be better off putting in Thrash, Jacobs, or another speed guy. Why? Because at the very least they force the CB's to play off them for fear of being burned, something Gardner doesn't bring to the table.

Archived