Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Advice on Computer Science degree

grimreaper36

I am starting my first semester of a Computer Science degree at the end of this month and though I don't need to make any decisions any time soon I am curious what people think is the direction I should specialize in down the road. I know there are many areas to go in such as IT, programming, statistics, etc., but I'm just curious what will offer the best career opportunities in the future. I would love to get into programming but I hear that it is a very difficult area to get work in. IT is probably the best area for jobs but it doesn't seem like it would be very interesting/satisfying long term. I don't think I would enjoy statistics but who knows. I know there is much I am not aware of so I would like to know what all of you think.

Ever think about engineering??? Electrical Engineering is really similar to a CS degree and they actually have joint BS programs, it will make yourself more marketable in the future. You could go on the hardware and design side as well.

Just to add more confusion to your decision :D

If you're bent on an IT degree, the biggest demand is and will be in business system's analysis and design. That is, talking with customers, gathering requirements, and translating those requirements into a technical design. That is an area that CANNOT be outsourced overseas, at least not effectively.

However it sounds like you're more mathematically inclined. In which case I would heed Chomerics' advice.

Actually I'm not mathematically inclined. It just comes with my choice of major. I'm going to college for the 1st time at the age of 42 and the only thing I'm any good at is computers (no official training on them though). I'm very excited by the opportunity, but have no knowledge of the real world situation after I get it.

Originally posted by mdg43

Actually I'm not mathematically inclined. It just comes with my choice of major. I'm going to college for the 1st time at the age of 42 and the only thing I'm any good at is computers (no official training on them though). I'm very excited by the opportunity, but have no knowledge of the real world situation after I get it.

Good for you. Are you taking an accelerated program? What are you good about with computers, this will help you in your decision.

Are you taking an accelerated program? What are you good about with computers, this will help you in your decision.

Not an accelerated program, full 4 years (sorry, not sure what an accelerated program is). I pretty good with hardware stuff, building, repairing, upgrading, though I did have a very small amount of programming in assembly language many years ago and enjoyed it. Again I have no real training in any of it, so most is self taught and kind of limited.

Thanks for the replies and hope to hear more.

Not an accelerated program, full 4 years (sorry, not sure what an accelerated program is). I pretty good with hardware stuff, building, repairing, upgrading, though I did have a very small amount of programming in assembly language many years ago and enjoyed it. Again I have no real training in any of it, so most is self taught and kind of limited.

Thanks for the replies and hope to hear more.

It is a program where it might take 2 years to get your bachelors, depending on prior credits and work experience.

Is your goal to get a better job, or just to get a degree?

If you want to get a better job you might want to think in getting certifed in something such as A++, CISCO, MCSE, etc...

Then you could get a job which might pay for your degree, just a thought.

I am currently on Social Security Disability and am supporting my girlfriend and 1 and 2 year old adopted daughters. I want the degree so I can get a good job and provide a decent living for all who are dependent on me. I want to eventually move away from this economically depressed area to one with better schools so my girls grow up with more opportunities than everyone else around here. It is also important to me that I become a better role model for the girls. I want them to see how to go after life even if the situation is less than perfect. Plus I miss the challenge and satisfaction of doing a job better than satisfactory. That and I hope to find a job I enjoy. Hey, I can dream, right?

I am currently on Social Security Disability and am supporting my girlfriend and 1 and 2 year old adopted daughters. I want the degree so I can get a good job and provide a decent living for all who are dependent on me. I want to eventually move away from this economically depressed area to one with better schools so my girls grow up with more opportunities than everyone else around here. It is also important to me that I become a better role model for the girls. I want them to see how to go after life even if the situation is less than perfect. Plus I miss the challenge and satisfaction of doing a job better than satisfactory. That and I hope to find a job I enjoy. Hey, I can dream, right?

:cheers:

I went back to school when I was 25. . . not quite 42, but I was still away for a long time. I now currently have a great job which I love, it can happen, just don't give up. As for compters, if you're not that mathmatically inclined, I would take a basic math course your first semester. It will help out tremendously in the future. if you need any advice or help, just pop in from time to time, we'll give you advice/encouragement/help if you need any, either way good luck man, you've definately made the right choice.

As for compters, if you're not that mathmatically inclined, I would take a basic math course your first semester. It will help out tremendously in the future.

The typical 1st semester includes Calculus I and Computer Science I. I decided to start below these with College Algebra and Introduction to Computer Science. Neither of these applies directly toward the degree so I am hesitant to set myself even further behind by taking an even lower math course. I picked up a couple of basic algebra books from the library and will try to refresh my memory before school starts. There are also healthy support services available if I am struggling. I believe I can get through it if I bust my tail. If not I can still switch to a lower math course if I don't wait too long, right?

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Still confused as he!! though. At least I don't have to make the career decisions right away lol.

I think this decision really depends on your school. I was a computer science major who went in as a guy who was in love with programming. But then I met a teacher who got me interested in algorithms and complexity and that made programming just seem like a waste of time.

If you already know where you're going to school, I'd try to take some time out and speak with the teachers and see which one, if any, you have the best connection with. That will make it a lot easier to get through those hard classes that you'll get into your junior or senior year.

I'd also recommend not making any specific decisions this early in the game. You've got some time before you graduate. Use it wisely. Look into the different areas as far as the opportunuities you will have when you get out of school. And just make sure that you don't rush into the decision. Cause if you make the wrong one, it could cost you a year or two.

I was a computer science major who went in as a guy who was in love with programming. But then I met a teacher who got me interested in algorithms and complexity and that made programming just seem like a waste of time.
I'd also recommend not making any specific decisions this early in the game. You've got some time before you graduate. Use it wisely. Look into the different areas as far as the opportunuities you will have when you get out of school. And just make sure that you don't rush into the decision. Cause if you make the wrong one, it could cost you a year or two.

Good suggestions. I am not trying to make a firm decision right now, just trying to get a feel for peoples opinions on what might be a good area for both future employment, what areas are/will be stable career paths yet still be personally rewarding and challenging. I realize I may have to compromise the personal satisfaction part for the career stability but I would like to try to find the best balance. The only experience I have in programming is a small amount of assembly language many years ago but I really liked it and think programming would fit well with the way my brain works (when it works at all, lol). I just have this opinion that programming is a very unstable industry and is generally in decline in this country. I'm not sure if this is actually true but it's an impression I have picked up lately. Of course my opinions of what would be fun for me may, and probably will, change during the next 4 years. I get the impression that IT is currently the most stable computer field these days but it just seems like it's mostly a cookie-cutter/black box type job that wouldn't be very interesting in the long term, but I don't know that to be a fact. That's why I'm asking for opinions.

Thanks again to everyone that responded. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Archived