Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Friedgen, former Terps star in TV ad

Stu

Did you all notice Coach Friedgen in the Under Armour ads tonight?

Go Terps.

Friedgen, former Terps star in TV ad

By Mariana Minaya, The Diamondback

July 22, 2004

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=uwire-friedgenformerterpsstarint&prov=uwire&type=lgns

(

U-WIRE) COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- The Maryland football team is determined to "protect this house."

And they're ready to do it on national television.

Several prominent members of the Maryland football program, including coaches Ralph Friedgen and Dave Sollazzo, are featured in a new commercial for Under Armour, a brand of performance apparel. The 90-second commercial aired during ESPN's annual award show, the ESPY Awards.

The commercial will also continue to air this week during SportsCenter and on several other channels during the 2004 football season.

The commercials feature a serious looking Friedgen and Sollazzo yelling commands to the players as they lift weights, run drills, plan in the locker room and scrimmage to a soundtrack of primal roars and intense music.

"This is our house," Friedgen shouts. "Everything you have trained for your entire life has prepared you for this. ... Courage is not about being scared, it's about being terrified but persevering anyway. ... Nobody beats us in our house."

Under Armour produced several spots as a continuation of its "Protect This House" campaign.

"There's the 90-second version, a 60-second teaser and a variety of 30-second ones," said Steve Battista, Under Armour's marketing director.

Other Under Armour advertisements have featured professional baseball players.

When Under Armour announced it would have an open casting call for members of the university football program, several coaches and former team members decided to audition.

"They told us they needed people from coaches to equipment managers to strength trainers, all the way down the line. The only person who received a formal invite was Friedgen, and I'm guessing Sollazzo as well because of his distinctive voice," said Greg Creese, assistant media relations director.

The university entered a five-year contract on Jan. 10 with Under Armour to provide the football team with uniform apparel, fan apparel and accessories. The deal marked Under Armour's first contract to produce team uniforms. The team will wear its new Under Armour apparel uniforms at its opening game against Northern Illinois on Sept. 4.

Two football players -- D'Qwell Jackson and C.J. Brooks -- modeled the new uniforms during halftime of the Red-White Game along with former Terp and current Dallas Cowboy Eric Ogbogu.

Under Armour's roots lead directly back to this university as Kevin Plank, president of the Baltimore-based company, graduated from the university in 1996 with a degree in business and management. He also played for four years on the Terp football team, first as a walk-on and later as a scholarship athlete, ending as special teams captain.

Many of the players had already sampled the apparel last season and are satisfied with the switch from Nike -- the previous uniform provider -- to Under Armour.

"We had some apparel in the spring, but they've yet to play a game with it. This year will be the first time they're using it for their uniforms. In terms of the look, everything I've heard is very positive," Creese said.

"Under Armour is about as good as it gets with performance apparel," he said.

With fall practice beginning Aug. 11, emotions are already running high.

"Right now there's more excitement in starting the season than with the actual uniform. The attitude in the offseason has been very good, and Friedgen is real pleased with the work ethic in the offseason. Our effort has been exceptional," Creese said.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

This commercial is insane

If you saw the making of it on Comcast it was even better. The one they are showing is shortened version

I'm sorry, but those Under Armour commercials are the stupidest things I've ever seen, with the K-Swiss "I wear my K-Swiss fresh out the box" commercials close behind.

"We must protect this house!" If I was a non-football fan, I would grow to hate the sport simply because of those ads.

The stupidest thing you've ever seen?

Huh.

Okay, so -- just to pick one example -- you think the yogurt commercials with women jabbering endlessly about how "it is so good" are better than the UnderArmour commercials.

Well, that gives me a pretty good handle on your point of view. I'll be sure to remember this thread as I consider your future posts.

:nana:

Originally posted by mjah

The stupidest thing you've ever seen?

Huh.

Okay, so -- just to pick one example -- you think the yogurt commercials with women jabbering endlessly about how "it is so good" are better than the UnderArmour commercials.

Well, that gives me a pretty good handle on your point of view. I'll be sure to remember this thread as I consider your future posts.

:nana:

Don't sweat it.

OrangeSkin is cool.

He just roots for the wrong college football team, Syracuse U. :D

If it had been the Orangmen, he would have loved the commercial.

GO TERPS!!!!!!

Archived