Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VT Fans - Marcus Vick News

Chief Gillespie

Originally posted by frankbones

I heard 3 games. Which if true, is a freaking joke.

Read 'em and weep...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31453-2004Jul6.html

Latest Arrest Puts Vick In Limbo

Hokies Sophomore Suspended Again

By Mark Schlabach

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, July 7, 2004; Page D01

Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick was suspended from the football team indefinitely yesterday following his arrest early Saturday on misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and possession of marijuana.

The latest arrest comes less than two months after Vick, the younger brother of Atlanta Falcons star quarterback Michael Vick, was found guilty of three counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail and ordered to pay a $2,250 fine in the earlier incident; his attorneys have since filed an appeal.

The sophomore will be out a minimum of three games because of another suspension, the school announced yesterday, stemming from the May 14 conviction. Athletic Director Jim Weaver suspended Vick, running back Mike Imoh (Robinson High) and wide receiver Brenden Hill for the team's first three games this season for their earlier convictions.

Coach Frank Beamer also banned Vick from all team-related activities.

"I remain deeply concerned by the situation involving our three student-athletes," Weaver said in a statement released by the school. "I believe the actions this past winter of Mike Imoh, Brenden Hill and Marcus Vick were inappropriate and contrary to the values of our university and sports communities, and should warrant sanction. Although these matters are on appeal in the criminal courts, I am moving forward in the best interests of all concerned with disciplinary action."

Weaver said in the statement that Vick's indefinite suspension "is separate and apart from an earlier three-game suspension," meaning he could face further sanctions if convicted of the traffic and drug charges. A school spokesman said neither Weaver nor Beamer would comment further. Vick couldn't be reached to comment.

A Virginia State Police spokesman said Vick was stopped at around 2:30 a.m. Saturday on Interstate 64 in New Kent County, about 50 miles west of his home town of Newport News. Vick's 2005 Chrysler was clocked at 88 mph in a 65-mph zone. The arresting officer smelled marijuana and found two bags containing the substance in the car, the spokesman said.

The amount of marijuana in Vick's car was small enough that Vick signed a summons on the roadside and was released. Vick is scheduled to appear in New Kent General District Court on July 27. If convicted of the marijuana charge, the maximum sentence Vick could face is 30 days in jail and a $500 fine. The reckless driving charge does not require jail time, but the state could suspend Vick's driver's license for up to six months.

Vick, 20, was expected to compete with senior Bryan Randall for the Hokies' starting job this season. Vick threw for 475 yards on 30-for-57 passing with two touchdowns and five interceptions as a redshirt freshman last season. He came to Virginia Tech a year after his older brother left school as a junior. Michael Vick was the No. 1 pick in the 2001 NFL draft.

On May 14, Marcus Vick was cleared of charges he had sex with a 15-year-old girl, but was found guilty of supplying alcohol to 14- and 15-year-old girls and encouraging them to strip in his apartment in Blacksburg, Va. Vick appealed, but a new trial date hasn't been scheduled. Imoh and Hill have also appealed.

The Hokies, who lost five of their last seven games and finished 8-5 last season, open the season against defending co-national champion Southern California in the BCA Football Classic at FedEx Field on Aug. 28.

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

• 3 weeks later...

I heard he was indefinitely suspended and is looking to go to a division 1aa school with a preference for Georgia Southern. Anyone have any more news since my daughter goes there and I have great seats as a booster club member.

Archived