Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The new Civil Rights Movement....

SkinsNut73

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/06/24/berkeley.prostitution.ap/index.html

60s free-love bastion to vote on prostitution

Thursday, June 24, 2004 Posted: 12:51 PM EDT (1651 GMT)

BERKELEY, California (AP) -- Residents of this left-leaning city will have a chance to vote in November on whether they think prostitution should be a crime.

An advocacy group announced Wednesday it had gathered nearly 3,200 signatures, about 1,000 more than needed to get the initiative on the ballot.

The measure would have little more than symbolic value, since it wouldn't undo laws against prostitution. But Robyn Few, head of the Sex Workers Outreach Project, said a win at the polls would send an important message.

"What we're trying to do is build a groundswell here in California," she said.

Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates was out of town and could not be reached for comment Wednesday. Earlier this year, the City Council declined to endorse decriminalizing prostitution.

Beyond its symbolic value, the ballot initiative would order the police department to give the "lowest priority" to enforcing anti-prostitution laws.

Police spokesman Joe Okies said the department didn't have any immediate response to the initiative.

Few, who recently completed six months house arrest on federal charges of conspiring to commit prostitution, said decriminalizing prostitution is a civil rights issue.

"As long as something is illegal, it's going to remain unsafe and exploited. I want to see women be empowered to speak up and demand their rights," she said.

I would never "visit" a prostitute, however, I don't see how it should be illegal. All jokes aside, when you are dating, you are often "paying" for sex as it is. If two adults see fit to do it, who am I to stop them. Law enforcement could be better served elsewhere.

As Carlin put it best:

Selling is legal....Fvcking is legal...so why isn't selling fvcking legal?

I don't want gov't to legislate what personal, victimless acts should be criminalised. A married man with children who screws his secretary does real damage to others, but noone would think of making adultery illegal, yet a desperately horny single guy who pays for sex gets thrown in the can, along with the woman who agreed to have consensual sex with him. :doh:

If the gov't made it a licensed practice, as they do in the Netherlands, prostitution could be designated to specific areas of a city, hos could get regular medical exams, and underage girls and organized crime could be taken out of the picture.

Originally posted by codeorama

I would never "visit" a prostitute, however, I don't see how it should be illegal. All jokes aside, when you are dating, you are often "paying" for sex as it is. If two adults see fit to do it, who am I to stop them. Law enforcement could be better served elsewhere.

I made the exact same comment in a room of 50/50 males and females last year at work. All the females were offended, and the remaining males in the room tried to appear sensitive and made comments that made me seem insensitive. Code you are 100% accurate about that. The funny thing is women don't want to admit it, but that's basically what they are doing when they expect you to pay for the date and entertainment, when all you really care about, as a man, is the after-dark entertainment. Prostitution is the oldest profession in the world. Even before currency was used to measure the exchange of goods and services man and women exchanged metal, plants etc. for the deed. All we need in this forum is a post from the Biship Don Magic Juan....Chuuuuuuuuuuuch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by kappaluvacee

I made the exact same comment in a room of 50/50 males and females last year at work. All the females were offended,[/Quote]

Did you include the following quote then too?

Originally posted by kappaluvacee

The funny thing is women don't want to admit it, but that's basically what they are doing when they expect you to pay for the date and entertainment, when all you really care about, as a man, is the after-dark entertainment.

If you did I can see why they were offended. You just called pretty much every woman a hooker. :doh:

Archived