Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Day I regretted being A Redskin FAN!

BRINGBACKRFK

It's been 13 long years since i've been completely convinced the Redskins will finally have a season to brag about!

Before you read on you have to know i have truly been a fan since I was 5 years old, which makes that 31 years. I have owned every Redskin jacket sold through Sears from 1973-1980. In a nutshell I am as die hard as a fan as anybody signed up to this website.

There was a day i encountered during the Norv turner era, which made me think twice about my obsession with the SKINS. For those of you who remember...there was a tight end named Jaime Asher. He eventually went to philly, and during training camp a big O-LINE man rolled over his ankle and ruined his career. jaime and I became friends through playing golf with each other. As obsessed I was for the Redskins...his passion for golf super-exceeded my love for SKINS. I coldly remember the Sunday before the BIG Monday night game against the Cowboys at Fed ex field. I spoke to him on the phone and simply asked him "Are you pumped up for the Big game tomorrow night? His response to me was shocking! He said " I've been lifting soo much, and my muscles are so tight...I don't know if i can swing my golf club on tuesday. I couldn't believe his response...i was dumbfounded by his remarks. I knew from my heart that the Cowboys were going to roll over the skins on National television the next day. AND ROLLED THEY DID!

Fear Not he's was one of those Michael "I" Brook types anyway. He may have been sore and all, but I can see your point also. They have they're moments and since he knew you a little more than say, moire', and trusted you, he was more detailed and intimate of what he had to say. If he read what you print he might be offended because he doesn't probably speak in those terms to just anyone outside the locker room.

On the other hand, HE shouldn't even give that kind of information out. More like, a bit sore, is all. How he'd be ready and all, just less than 24 hours and focused on Golf so much, that he may have aggravated something, pulled something makes it worse. Actually golf swings DO require stretching of muscles, twisting of the torso, lifting of the arches and the like. These muscles can cause a player to react poorly, if aggravated or over worked prior to a game. Asher wasn't the TE that would fit in today's system or Gibbs I. He looked the part for a brief, but Gibbs guys are consistant.

Sorry the relationship had such a negative effect on you.

Maybe he just didn't want to talk about the game to you.

You were his golfing buddy and that was what he wanted to talk to you about. Not the big game. You are not one of his teammates. He probably thought he didn't need to hear about all of his big time football talk.

I thought J. Asher was one of the best tight ends we've had in recent years. I certainly liked him more than alligator arms Alexander. So yeah, this sucks to hear that someone who should be eating, breathing, football is busy thinking about golf (remind you of someone else?) ...But Norv was a big fat softie and neither disciplined players nor led by example. I had a friend who saw the movie "The Jakyl" on a Saturday night before the Skins were to play the Cowboys and who was there? Norv Turner. This explains why both Jamie and Norv are where they are today.

Originally posted by Reaganaut

I liked Jamie too, but I reread your post a couple times and can't make heads nor tails out of it.

.....okay, I feel a little better. I reread the post about five times, once out loud, eventually (after reading everyone elses replies) went back and read it again, and sort of got where he was going, I think I am just to detail oriented...

Let me see if I can play Herr Doktor:

1. Zee patient plays golf with Jamie Asher

2. Asher hurts foot

3. Zee patient has a phone

4. Asher lifts weights

5. Cowboys beat the Redskins

6. Zee patient experiences regret

Hmm. Seems like Zee patient should stick to golf.

Do any of you guys have a life outside of your jobs?

Why is it wrong for guys in the NFL to have a life outside their jobs and not you?

Norv spent 6 days preparing for a game on Sunday why is it wrong for him to go out and relax and enjoy a movie at the end of that preparation. Do you really think that the 2 hours he spent at a movie theater made the difference between a win and a loss?

Originally posted by kleese

Is the story even accurate?

If I remember correctly, the only time we would have played Dallas on a Monday Night during Asher's time with the skins would have been 1997.....and we won.

From the Games Database :

Redskins Home games against the Dallas Cowboys throughout that team`s history coached by Norv Turner in the Regular Season on MNF are summarized below.

Stats for your 2 Records

Pre-Season Regular Season Post Season Home Away Points For (avg) Points Against (avg) Avg. Margin

0-0-0 (0) 1-1-0 (0.5) 0-0 (0) 1-1-0 (0.5) 0-0-0 (0) 42 (21) 43 (21.5) 5.5

Year Date Opponent Score Stadium

1997 Regular Season

1 1997 10/13 Dallas Cowboys 16-21 MNF W Jack Kent Cooke Stadium

2000 Regular Season

2 2000 9/18 Dallas Cowboys 27-21 MNF L FedEx Field

Asher was here for the 1997 game, but not the 2000 one.

As I recall, the Redskins came out and got up big on them, 21-3. Then Dallas came back, but a late drive didn't quite make it for them. I was certain they were going to score, though. One of the few times the Redskins have "held" a late lead.

So Asher never played for a Redskins team that lost to Dallas on MNF-- thus this story completely lacks credibility.

I'm sure you were well-intentioned, but best check your facts before posting stories like that.

Well, yeah TheSchwartz, we do have lives outside of football. But if I was head coach of the Washington Redskins, I would not be at a movie theater the night before a game against Dallas - our arch-rival enemy. Gibbs sure as hell wouldn't be.

I've lived out on the West coast since 1992. I've been going to local bars every Sunday since bars started showing every game. Ussually the games are at 10 a.m. There was one game, the Carolina vs. Redskins game when I left out of disgust. It wasn't that the Redskins were losing but the way they were losing. I was starting to feel like a sucker getting up early going to this bar and watching a team not even try to play. I left after the first quarter because it looked like the same flailing team. It was also a beautiful sunny day and I had just bought a new Harley Davidson. I left to enjoy the day and found out that Arrington turned the game around and we eventually won in overtime.

That was my one big mistep of fan loyalty. It's going to be so refreshing with Joe again. When he was here before you never felt as bad after a Redskins loss because at least you always felt the team gave it their all.

So, y'all are telling me that this could NOT POSSIBLY have happened because Asher didn't play at a time when we lost to Dallas on MNF?

I was just going to shake my head about how such an incident would make you wish you weren't a fan. NOW, I am going to shake my head as to why a story like this would be made up, by an adult.

Hmmmmmm. I guess on the internet you can be who ever you want to be, truth or not.

Blondie

Blondie - totally agree with you.....

on another note...I always love to stumble across one of your posts - from one chick to another...just totally appreciate that picture of Rock in your sig!!! Dont worry - not trying to step on your turf, I know he is your man!! ;)

Originally posted by Skin-N-NY

True story or not, this guy is not a Redskin fan. No TRUE Redskin fan would EVER regret being a Redskin fan.

not only that, but if I understand what's trying to be said, you regret being a fan because of one incident, one player didn't seem to care as much as he should have?

Maybe that should be the day you stopped being a Jamie Asher fan?

Relax:twitch:

BTW, I wondered what happened to him after going to the Eagles - I heard he signed with them and never heard anymore about him.

Taken, well at least I tried to get him to see that for a person to be more concerned about his golf handicap,than his team's, was selfish, like a Michael Westbrook. but nothing lost on my part, so no harm done except to the author of the thread.

As for empathy on his part and the player for being human and their own time, well I believe I expressed that.

I get the feeling this going to be more of a year of folks spending too much time trying to DEFACE one another than to discuss football related topics. Thank goodness for the Administrators to redirect the bs!

I just come here to discuss topics of similar interest amongst the confines of other fans, but apparently wasting my time opening up a tad and then squash.

Once again, a vacation is due - BYE!

Archived