Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Force placing teachers.

Kilmer17

The Florida school grades came out yesterday, and despite an improvement on the statewide level, their are still over 75% of schools in FLA that do not meet the Federal No Child Left Behind standards. Forget for this thread your opinion on NCLB and think of a solution within the system.

There is a proposal in the State House to require School Districts to place their best teachers in the worst performing schools. I think this is a BRILLIANT idea. My wife (who is a teacher) hates it. Im looking for opinions.

I think its a good idea.

#1. You don't force them to stay forever. Perhaps 2 year stints.

#2. You maybe pay them better for doing this. If Jeb and Florida is serious about the problem. You find a way to pay them like 20%-30% more for being in that region. Perhaps it will get some teachers fighting for those harder jobs if it means that much more money.

Sounds good, but then what do you do with the teachers who are not "the best"? Send them to the schools to fill in for the "best teachers" who left? How would that make you feel as a taxpayer/homeowner who moved into that district because of an excellent school system (among other things)?

#2. You maybe pay them better for doing this. If Jeb and Florida is serious about the problem. You find a way to pay them like 20%-30% more for being in that region. Perhaps it will get some teachers fighting for those harder jobs if it means that much more money.

I like this idea....

Can it be done with a teacher's union though???

Are better teachers the solution? Better administrators would also be needed.

Additionally, what constitutes a better teacher? Motivators are needed. Usually the two go hand in hand, but not always. A teacher who is a good motivator will get the best results and keep the students interested.

Also, what do you do with the existing teachers? Move them to the succesful schools and risk bringing them down?

Any plan like this should be piloted first for several years.

well. that'll either force them to get better or find new jobs.

That's a big problem. If you could find a way to pay teachers pretty decent money. You'd have people fighting for those jobs......you'd have your pick of the best and brightest. I know the parents on this board want their kids taught by the best. Right?

So why should they stay in the underperforming schools? Dont the residents of those districts deserve the same quality? The Board should be looking out for the ENTIRE population. And if that means that the best schools go from A rated to B rated because of the teacher moves, that's acceptable if the D and F rated schools improve to C and B.

Frankly, teacher pay in most districts is not bad IF you consider how much they work. It's a great lifestyle, and they'll be the first to tell you. It's basically the reason that many of my friends became teachers. Teach 5 classes per day from 9-3, get home by 4 or 4:30, get tons of holidays, and the entire summer off. Of course they arent gonna get the same amount as those who are working 40+ hours/week with only 13 vacation days per year. There have been calculations that teachers actually make an incredible PER HOUR wage rate when considering their salary divided by the amount of actual time they spend working.

One thing to keep in mind...

Many schools that don't meet the minimum standards miss them because of odd things like students missing one too many days of school, regardless of the reasons etc...

We are dealing with that now. We have to offer a student that goes to one of these schools that fails to meet the minimum standards, the opportunity to go to another school that does.

What our school system is doing is putting together a letter to the parents to let them know the reasons why so that they don't panic and jump ship.

Here's a great example. We have students that don't know how to behave, so they get suspended, that counts against the school. Therefore, the principals don't want to discipline the kids for fear that their school will be one of "The ones" that don't meet the standards. Is this fair? No Child Left Behind sucks more than I can possibly say. For us in the school systems, it keeps getting worse. It doesn't make sense and the parents don't understand and get the wrong idea.

I think one thing that we have to remember here is that while the so-called "best" teachers can be instrumental in assisting children to become stronger students, it ultimately comes down to the students themselves. No matter how creative a teacher is in teaching concepts in a way that it is easy for kids to understand, or how well they assist kids in becoming critical thinkers, etc., there has to be a willingness to learn on the part of the students, and reinforcement from parents at home. If the importance of school is not being emphasized at home and kids simply don't take an interest in learning, then even the "best" teachers will be handicapped in reaching out to the poorest performing students.

The school i'm able to send my kid to starting this year is 92% in Fairfax.. I'd be mad if they sent those teachers to the other schools... :)

Unlike the Military you cant really MAKE teachers go from school to school... they already don't get paid enough. Put the incentive pay out there. Would have to be totally voluntary with the amount of money they make now...

I would have to agree, if they parents don't care you could put Einstein in the classroom and it wouldnt make a difference.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

So why should they stay in the underperforming schools? Dont the residents of those districts deserve the same quality? The Board should be looking out for the ENTIRE population. And if that means that the best schools go from A rated to B rated because of the teacher moves, that's acceptable if the D and F rated schools improve to C and B.

Yes, those residents certainly do deserve the same quality...but not at the expense of others. The local school system is a key factor in many parents decision as to where to locate/raise a family. I have to say, I'll be pretty pissed as a parent if you say "Well, we're going to take your A rated school system and risk it going to a B or C rated system so that we can improve the D and F schools"

Originally posted by Rejuvenated Canadian Hog

I think one thing that we have to remember here is that while the so-called "best" teachers can be instrumental in assisting children to become stronger students, it ultimately comes down to the students themselves. No matter how creative a teacher is in teaching concepts in a way that it is easy for kids to understand, or how well they assist kids in becoming critical thinkers, etc., there has to be a willingness to learn on the part of the students, and reinforcement from parents at home. If the importance of school is not being emphasized at home and kids simply don't take an interest in learning, then even the "best" teachers will be handicapped in reaching out to the poorest performing students.

Good point. These "best" teachers could end up burned out after time.

They cant force them to move now, that's why the State legislature is looking at changing the law.

Busing the students hasnt worked, let's try something else. Also, there's nothing wrong with saying this could work in some districts but not in others. As I keep saying, each situation is going to need a different solution.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

"Yes, those residents certainly do deserve the same quality...but not at the expense of others."

The goal should be equal standards.

I agree. But if it ain't broke....

I would have a problem with my kid's education suffering in order to reach this goal. Selfish? Maybe. But an education is not something to fool around with...

Archived