Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A question about our coaching

Does anyone ever get worried that we may have TOO MUCH experience on our coaching staff? I am asking this after reading Maske's article and thinking about who's on our staff. We've got like 6 former head coaches on our team. Just about everybody we signed took a step back from a higher position.

I see the serious possibility us struggling early and then people saying that we should do things differently, or maybe doing things differently and just not telling JG. I know Joe is a great coach and all, but we have some people who have never coached under Joe. We hav others who haven't coached in like 5 or 6 years. What happens when they remember the negatives of coaching with Joe and then their performance falters?

To me the question isn't one of whether Joe has forgotten the game, but what happens if his number 2 or number 3 guy has? What heppens if our defense isn't doing well and JG says to Williams to change his defense? Williams probably won't like that and I can see problems arising from it.

Plus its like everybody's over 60. What happens when everybody realizes that they're too old to be doing this and goes back to their retirement homes?

My poiny is just that we don't have the usual coaching staff of young energetic guys who are running around with the team and trying their hardest to get an opportunity to be a head coach. We've got a lot of old guys who wanted to come back and coach with Joe again. Around midseason I can se us realizing that they really are old men and I do wonder what will happen afterwards.

Not likely considering the hours that Gibbs is putting in and the precedent that he is setting. Many of the coaches that are new to Gibbs have said that they have never worked so hard, let alone in the offseason. He has their respect. They know that they haven't won 3 super bowls. Additionally, he has put loyal people around him on the offensive side of the ball. As much as he will be involved with the defense in terms of knowing who the players are, understanding the philosophies, and keeping an eye on their progress, he owns the offense and will trust Greg Williams to run the defense.

Gibbs is a great people person first. He has done a tremendous job of due dilligence on the coaching staff that he acquired. He also knows that the best way to gain loyalty and be effective is to trust his talent. He isn't going to second guess his Defensive staff unless they aren't getting the job done. Even then, he isn't likely to micromanage them. Gibbs will offer to help instead of dictate. Gibbs is the ultimate communicator.

We have no worries when it comes to the coaching staff aside from how long will they stay with us before they get their own defenses, offenses, or teams to run.

well, we did get some younger coaches like Stan Hixon and Earnest Byner. However, I too am worried about the age factor. However, one thing ive noticed is that all these old coaches have experienced their greatest success under Gibbs, and people like Williams who havent are just as excited, and Gibbs seems to have that personality that warms up everyone however stressed it seems. What I mean though with how the former coaches experienced their greatest success under Gibbs, people like Bugel will not doubt Gibbs in any way, and hes one of your former head coaches.

You do make a good point though, tis something to think about.

I watched Coach Gibbs coach the Redskins all the way through the 80's, until he retired the first time. Coach Gibbs is a master team builder and his leadership is proven. I am sure each person on the staff knows the goals set and is empowered to carry out their charge. I have no doubts of the future success of this football team over the next three to five years.

The thing I enjoyed most during the first go around, was to watch the team adjust after halftime. Coach Gibbs and his staff were the master 2nd halfers. You never counted the Skins out during those years. To those of you who are to young to know or remember, you are about to witness something masterful. Enjoy and appreciate.

Too old ?

How old do you think Vermeil is ? Or Parcells ?

These guys are far from youngsters. The advantage that the older coaches have is that the players know that , "they have been there and done that".

In coaching experience is much more powerful than age.

Originally posted by SkinsandTerps

Too old ?

How old do you think Vermeil is ? Or Parcells ?

These guys are far from youngsters. The advantage that the older coaches have is that the players know that , "they have been there and done that".

In coaching experience is much more powerful than age.

Yeah, but look at the ages of the staffs underneath Parcells and Vermeil's. Thats what my conern is. I'm not saying that Gibbs is too old, but his staff just may be.

Originally posted by blakman211

Does anyone ever get worried that we may have TOO MUCH experience on our coaching staff? I am asking this after reading Maske's article and thinking about who's on our staff. We've got like 6 former head coaches on our team. Just about everybody we signed took a step back from a higher position.

I see the serious possibility us struggling early and then people saying that we should do things differently, or maybe doing things differently and just not telling JG. I know Joe is a great coach and all, but we have some people who have never coached under Joe. We hav others who haven't coached in like 5 or 6 years. What happens when they remember the negatives of coaching with Joe and then their performance falters?

To me the question isn't one of whether Joe has forgotten the game, but what happens if his number 2 or number 3 guy has? What heppens if our defense isn't doing well and JG says to Williams to change his defense? Williams probably won't like that and I can see problems arising from it.

Plus its like everybody's over 60. What happens when everybody realizes that they're too old to be doing this and goes back to their retirement homes?

My poiny is just that we don't have the usual coaching staff of young energetic guys who are running around with the team and trying their hardest to get an opportunity to be a head coach. We've got a lot of old guys who wanted to come back and coach with Joe again. Around midseason I can se us realizing that they really are old men and I do wonder what will happen afterwards.

My theory? If summer wasn't sooooooo looooong & boring, this wouldn't even be a question or concern. We have all gotten excited about the return of Coach Gibbs & how excited the coaching staff has been to work with each other again. Take Buges for instance. He coached (HC) in Oakland (or was it LA at the time?) & in Arizona. Both places were not so successful. But as the OL coach for the Redskins, he was always successful. Under Gibbs, he was always successful.

Now, I can't speak for them, but if I were asked to return to the one job that I had been most successful at, even though I have moved on to other things, I would go back in a heartbeat! Besides, they all loved it here for the time they had. Gibbs got burned out. When he left, the rest went with him.

I think the biggest factor that has to be recognized is that they didn't ask Beatherd back. He & Gibbs didn't really get along all that well. I think that is where the biggest problem would have come in to play, but I think this coaching staff is the best in the League & love each other in the right context & they gel well together.

I see only good things coming from this renewed relationship with some of the old coaches & the new coaches will see how well they respond to each other & go with that. Also, I can't really see Gibbs TELLING Williams to change his defense, but trying to work with him to find new ways to succeed defensively. Aside from that, Williams is a pretty good defensive coordinator. All in all, this coaching staff will work well together & in turn, the team will work well together with them.

Anyone that has a question about Joe Gibbs coaching or his staff doesn't understand how great Joe is. Joe leaves no stone unturned and his team is always ready to play. To say we have too many older wiser coaches means we'll be prepared for everything. They said Gibbs hasn't coached in 12 years and the game may have passed him by. He wants enough good people around him to make sure he takes us to the promise land Super Bowl Baby.

I think you are really overstating things. No one on the defensive side of the ball has coached with Gibbs before. We don't have 6 former head coahces as assistants--the number is 2. Name the coaches who haven't coached in 5 or 6 years, other then Gibbs.

What young, hungry assistant would you rather have coaching the defensive than Williams? Name two OL coaches who are better than Bugel.

You say that everybody is over 60--I think the number is more like 7 out of 17 coaches--including the head coach and QC positions.

Originally posted by Hauss

I think you are really overstating things. No one on the defensive side of the ball has coached with Gibbs before. We don't have 6 former head coahces as assistants--the number is 2. Name the coaches who haven't coached in 5 or 6 years, other then Gibbs.

What young, hungry assistant would you rather have coaching the defensive than Williams? Name two OL coaches who are better than Bugel.

I'm with you, man. I wouldn't want anyone but Buges runnin' the OL or Williams as DC. I'm happy with the coaches we have under Gibbs & they are happy to be here. Can't say much more than that & not a negative word about how things are being run. Gotta love it.

I would much rather have older coaches with experience who DO understand there are bumps, and HOW to manuver over them, than to have young coaches who hit bumps and back up and hit it the same way again...over and over.

Remind you of anyone?

;)

Blondie

Levy was HC for the Bills untill he retired @ age 75. He took the Bills to four SBs and should have won one of them against the G-men, but the FG attempt was wide right from chip shot distance.

I like the makeup of our coaching staff. A good blend of experience and youth. Age is relative to what? A preconceived idea in your mind. George Bush parachuted from an airplane @ age 72. Go figure! Buges has the energy of a teenager.

There are many exceptions to the rule.

Blondie said: I would much rather have older coaches with experience who DO understand there are bumps, and HOW to manuver over them, than to have young coaches who hit bumps and back up and hit it the same way again...over and over.

I agree Blondie. I also think that for a person to gather in the experience necessary at Gibbs level (reminiscint of an entreprenuer (a bit above average, though, on delegation), they have to try coaching at the level below him (Coordinator, longer than Bugel took the reign, if at all) before taking a head coaching job. This is how Norv was able to tinker a little better than Buges, as a head coach, but not quite as successful as Gregg Williams, who was a DC, then a Head Coach. When Williams decides its time to move on, it would probably be the 4 to 5 year window, the same one Joe Gibbs will leave on. This could be the difference in Joe Gibbs leaving after the 1992 season and leaving after his tenure with the Skins this era.

Williams would understand the offensive mind of Gibbs, while having tuned up a team's defense that is very familiar with him from jump. Pettibone wasn't as good a head coach, as he was a DC, but then again, we never know what would have happened had he returned one more time, after that taste of head coach. With Gibbs and Williams we know what we get with Breau, Buges, Byner and others.

Archived