Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: Redskins end minicamp, get needed downtime

bubba9497

Redskins end minicamp, get needed downtime

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/06/06/bc.fbn.redskins.minicamp.ap/

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- It's been awhile since Washington Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been this close to being able to worry about something other than football.

The Redskins wrapped up their third and final minicamp Sunday afternoon, leaving the team with just seven "organized team activities" the next two weeks in advance of a break until training camp begins in late July.

"I think my family still remembers they have a father and a husband," said Williams, who says he has seen his family just three times since Jan. 12. "We're going to recharge our batteries and we'll put the time in again when it comes to start back up again. The coaches need it as much as the players do. I know I do."

The final minicamp gave head coach Joe Gibbs an opportunity to get some players back onto the practice field who he wanted to see work.

Starting tackle Chris Samuels practiced after a right shoulder injury had him listed for limited activity at the start of the minicamp. Defensive lineman Brandon Noble returned to practice Sunday after resting his left knee on Saturday because rain had forced the practice to be moved to the turf field. And wideout Laveranues Coles also participated despite a nagging toe injury.

"We want everybody here, if somebody's not here that's a real discouragement," Gibbs said. "The players that everybody knows is going to carry a lot of attention and everything, I think it's really important for those guys to be here. Sometimes they're the ones that say 'I don't have to do this.' ... You kind of get the idea that some guys aren't going to miss no matter what."

The notable precautionary holdout from Sunday's practice was rookie safety Sean Taylor, whose eyes were still irritated one day after being ambushed square in the face by LaVar Arrington with a pile of shaving gel.

"That was a shame. It was just a prank, kind of a rookie deal a bunch of times the guys do," Gibbs said. "I think his eyes were kind of sensitive. ... I think he'll be OK."

Taylor walked off the practice field without talking to reporters.

Those on the field, however, continue to be presented with lots of new plays, formations and sets that everyone knows they'll have to have committed to memory before training camp.

"We've still go a long way to go," defensive end Renaldo Wynn said. "They throw a lot of stuff at us and guys have handled it well. The whole thing of it is that guys have to retain the information. You're going to have to take your playbook home and study it while you're away for a whole month."

The notable precautionary holdout from Sunday's practice was rookie safety Sean Taylor, whose eyes were still irritated one day after being ambushed square in the face by LaVar Arrington with a pile of shaving gel.

:laugh: Irritated? Get on the field.

Still not liking what we're hearing about Coles' toe injury. Sounds like this is going to be a long term deal.

I wish we could get a better medical explanation of what the problem is exactly, and why it cannot seem to heal.

And when exactly did this injury occur? Was it at a specific point last season or did it just develop over time?

I'm with you McMetal - I'd like to know more out the turf toe on Coles. A little research yields (courtesy of orthopedics.about.com):

What is turf toe?

Turf toe is a condition of pain at the base of the big toe, located at the ball of the foot. The condition is usually caused from either jamming the toe, or pushing off repeatedly when running or jumping. The most common complaint is pain at the base of the toe, but you may also have symptoms of stiffness and swelling.

The name turf toe comes from the fact that this injury is especially common among athletes who play on artificial turf. The hard surface of artificial turf, combined with running and jumping in football and soccer, make turf toe a frequent consequence of Astroturf play.

What happens to the toe in turf toe?

When a player sustains a turf toe injury they are actually tearing the capsule that surrounds the joint at the base of the toe. Tearing this joint capsule can be extremely painful. Furthermore, tear of the joint capsule can lead to instability and even dislocation of the joint at the base of the toe. This may lead to accelerated cartilage wear and arthritis of the big toe (hallux rigidus).

What is the treatment of turf toe?

The diagnosis of turf toe is not difficult, but X-rays may be taken to ensure there is no fracture. Treatment of turf toe consists of resting the sore toe, icing the area, and elevating the foot; anti-inflammatory medications may be recommended by your doctor. Athletes diagnosed with turf toe should avoid their sport for about three weeks to allow the joint capsule to heal. Once returning to activities, special inserts can be used to limit the motion of the big toe and prevent further damage to the joint capsule.

Unfortunately, turf toe can return, and rehabilitation may be slow. Surgery is rarely needed for treatment of turf toe, but in certain cases it may be helpful. If a bone spur forms, and severely limits motion of the toe joint, surgery to remove the spur may be helpful.

I'm not sure if this makes me feel better or not. I'd have to think that Coles had three weeks of non-activity before the mini-camps and yet the condition persists (that's not good) and I also also recall that he played through this for a few games before he even let on that he had a problem (maybe positive). End total is anyone's guess...:(

Last week in one of the threads, an article was uncovered that said Coles does not have turf-toe. The article said the turf-toe thing came about after Spurrier incorrectly called it that during a press conference. The article said Coles actually has a stress fracture of the toe, that's why it is lingering. There is no evidence that the toe would heal more quickly with surgery so they are electing to let it heal itself.

Archived