Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which DE will we be getting?

NVskinsfan

Im not talking about peoples opinions on the state of our D-Line.

I don't think our D-Line will be some great fearsome foursome, but it isn't going to be the 'disaster waiting to happen' some think its going to be.

Folks get too caught up in the individuality of players and forget the "team concept" of football.

Thats another reason why we are here and Gibbs is the Coach of the Redskins.

Hes trying to build a team. With his type of players. A "core group", as he called it, to be Redskins for years. Not just grab any glitzy D-Line player that comes along and plug him in there, whether he fits or not. :)

Anyway, my initial post in this thread wasn't directed at anyone who wants to criticize the D-Line.

Criticize away. :) You'll just have egg on your faces when the D-Line plays good (not spectacular... just good :) )

My post was directed solely at monarch's ridiculous suggestion that we need to 'send a message to the Redskins and to Gibbs'.

Thats dumb. Gibbs needs no messages from us about how to coach the team. :)

Originally posted by DCMONEY

Having an opinion that the D-line needs improvement isn't silly but rather a fact. It does need improving. I and everyone else saw that D-line last yr. and how horrendous it was. I read where people say a scheme will make up for what that line can't do. I think you can hide 1 person's inabilities but not a whole d-line. One person said that if the offense will give the D more rest. Thats the only way I feel this Defense might improve. But I just don't want to see players not playing their assignments again because their running up taking bad angles and trying to make up for this piss poor front four.

I think we all agree that our d-line is not what we would like it to be. Unfortunately, at this point I do not think there are any players available that would provide an improvement over what we have (yes, the FA crop is that weak). Due to the sheer number of holes in our team we have been unable to fill them all in one offseason. This is frustrating to many of us because the d-line was one of the obvious holes and the players brought in seem average at best. We have not seen this d-line play together so we'll have to see what they can do. We will be relying on a combination of scheme, better coaching, and ball control offense to provide improvement in our d-line play. Personally, I think they will be better than last year, but not world beaters.

Originally posted by SkinsGuy

Im not talking about peoples opinions on the state of our D-Line.

I don't think our D-Line will be some great fearsome foursome, but it isn't going to be the 'disaster waiting to happen' some think its going to be.

Folks get too caught up in the individuality of players and forget the "team concept" of football.

Thats another reason why we are here and Gibbs is the Coach of the Redskins.

Hes trying to build a team. With his type of players. A "core group", as he called it, to be Redskins for years. Not just grab any glitzy D-Line player that comes along and plug him in there, whether he fits or not. :)

Anyway, my initial post in this thread wasn't directed at anyone who wants to criticize the D-Line.

Criticize away. :) You'll just have egg on your faces when the D-Line plays good (not spectacular... just good :) )

My post was directed solely at monarch's ridiculous suggestion that we need to 'send a message to the Redskins and to Gibbs'.

Thats dumb. Gibbs needs no messages from us about how to coach the team. :)

In this case I hope I do have egg on my face. I hope I'm 100% wrong about this line. I doubt it though. You are what you are. I wasn't on this forum last yr., but I told my GYM buddies that the back 7 for the Skins will have a bad yr. because of what the front 4 can't do. Pass rush or stop the run. So since Big Daddy & Gardner left and we didn't replace them with adequate players I've been waiting for that adaquate player. A whole season is enough for me to see that this line sucked. It wasn't scheme. It mainly was that they were sorry. I don't have a problem with them picking up Griffin but for that price? Hell nah. But I hope to have egg on my face.

I think people on this board want stars on EVERY position on the team. We are so used to big splashes by the FO with free agent signings that we are disappointed with average talent at ANY position. If my memory serves me right, we have acheived zilch with that thought process. We have Ramsey, Brunell, Coles, Rod Gardner, Clinton Portis, and a star studded O-Line (Jansen, Samuels, Thomas) on Offense. We have Arrington, Washington, Sean Taylor, Shawn Springs, Fred Smoot, Michael Barrow, Phillip Daniels, Cornellius Griffin on Defense.

All sorrounded by a bunch of average to above average players to form a TEAM! but noooooo the same people who claim Snyder has refused to form a team are asking to plug the next guy released by another team into our D-Line. I just dont see the logic here.

How about we let the Coaches coach. they will be there for the mini camps and the training camps. Let them decide what we need and dont need. Ok? :)

Marcus Bell: DT With Bell out, the team's primary remaining defensive tackles will be Russell Davis, Kenny King, Wendell Bryant and rookie Darnell Dockett.

Guess who? Barron Tanner: The six-year veteran started just two games last season, but played in 14 games, recording 17 tackles.

I'd take a look at Bell, 6'2" 329 and 25 years old. He's averaged about 20 tackles a season, only playing 13 games per season.

FYI,

Regarding the rookie pool, here is a more expanded definition along with the amount for each team. It appears that the Redskin's pool is just over $3M which will leave us around $2M if we want to sign any other free agents.

Each year, the NFL issues each team a total dollar figure representing the maximum cap space they are allowed to spend on signing draft picks and undrafted free agents. A team's rookie pool is based on the number and position of draft picks, with teams holding higher picks being allocated more dollars per pick than teams holding lower picks.

2004 Rookie Pool

1. San Diego . . . $6,024,776

2. Oakland . . . $5,170,440

3. Jacksonville . . . $5,050,059

4. Arizona . . . $4,706,896

5. Tennessee . . . $4,702,937

6. Cincinnati . . . $4,639,928

7. Detroit . . . $4,580,926

8. Houston . . . $4,449,138

9. N.Y. Giants . . . $4,370,100

10. Atlanta . . . $4,329,933

11. Denver . . . $4,296,669

12. San Francisco . . . $4,143,162

13. New England . . . $4,130,090

14. N.Y. Jets . . . $3,999,265

15. Pittsburgh . . . $3,904,326

16. Philadelphia . . . $3,748,154

17. Chicago . . . $3,738,616

18. Buffalo . . . $3,640,573

19. Cleveland . . . $3,612,999

20. Minnesota . . . $3,538,788

21. Tampa Bay . . . $3,289,627

22. Indianapolis . . . $3,129,590

23. Seattle . . . $3,106,600

24. Washington . . . $3,098,865

25. New Orleans . . . $2,960,636

26. Dallas . . . $2,895,414

27. St. Louis . . . $2,763,323

28. Green Bay . . . $2,733,855

29. Kansas City . . . $2,704,631

30. Carolina . . . $2,608,614

31. Miami . . . $2,491,245

32. Baltimore . . . $2,202,960

Originally posted by China

The rookie pool is not separate from the cap but a pool within the cap.

Yes, but the 4 million we just cleared IS separate from our rookie pool, hence 4 million we can spend on a free agent or a trade or our own players.

Originally posted by lil mic

Yes, but the 4 million we just cleared IS separate from our rookie pool, hence 4 million we can spend on a free agent or a trade or our own players.

By your logic we have the $4.7 M we just cleared to spend on free agents plus another $3M for the rookie pool which would put us currently almost $8M under the salary cap. Wishful thinking. We are only around $5M under the cap which includes the $3M for the rookie pool. This is why we had to clear some of these players, so we could sign our rookies. Now it looks like we'll have about $2M left over.

Originally posted by China

By your logic we have the $4.7 M we just cleared to spend on free agents plus another $3M for the rookie pool which would put us currently almost $8M under the salary cap. Wishful thinking. We are only around $5M under the cap which includes the $3M for the rookie pool. This is why we had to clear some of these players, so we could sign our rookies. Now it looks like we'll have about $2M left over.

I stand corrected...

Originally posted by CrazyLikeAFox87

I read thet Joe Johnson of the Packers was likely to be cut. Not having seen him much, living in England, would he be a good pick up?

I live in Baton Rouge, so I got to see Joe while he was a Saint, he was pretty good. I do not know what he was like in Green Bay, but I would think he would be a solid defensive end if nothing else.

:gaintsuck

In spite of NavyDave's plea to hold on to next year's 1st round pick, I'm still waiting for that Ogunleye trade. ;)

Actually, I think we're gonna stand pat and see what happens in Training Camp. If things don't go well defensively, we could see a trade or some type of late camp pickup from another team's cuts. I'm actually expecting our line to rise to the occasion.

Archived