Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

World Series of Poker - 2004

Brave

The WSOP 2004 is going on right now in Vegas. They are on the last event, "No Limit Hold 'Em" (which you'll be seeing for the next year on ESPN.)

Interestingly, last year it was said that poker "exploded" because there were over 800 entries in this event. What are they going to say about THIS year?

Entries at $10K a piece: 2576

Total purse: Over $24 million

1st place prize: $5 million

2nd place prize: $3.5 million

3rd place prize: $2.5 million

The top 6 finishers will get $1 million or more!

Hey Charles... there's a championship poker tournament being played on THE LEARNING NETWORK this week..

I don't get that channel.... but is someone who's watching it willing to tape it for me if I reimburse the expenses?

I really want to watch it.

Note: 5th place get $1.1 mil.

Make to 180th, you land a profit.

Make it to 225th place, you break even.

"This year, ESPN will film final table action at 13 of the World Series' tournaments. All that film will be shipped back to New York and edited into 22 shows that will air on the cable sports network beginning in June. The network aired seven programs from last year's World Series, all of them from the final tournament event."

Twenty-two shows? For poker?

Craziness. :)

Originally posted by chiefhogskin48

My friends and I are absolutely obsessed with the World Series of Poker. When we play, I usually get the nickname "Farha," though my level of play does not do the nickname justice (I think it's just b/c I copycat Farha's sunglasses).

Or maybe your level of play does reflect that name ... Sammy Farha has been eliminated. :)

Other notables to exit early:

Chris Moneymaker

Paul Phillips

Phil Ivey

Ben Affleck

Dutch Boyd

TJ Cloutier

Originally posted by Thiebear

MoneyMaker had a horseshoe up his rear-end last year.

So many times he won as a 96 -4 % underdog of the hand :)

True, but anyone who wins this event will have to get lucky more than once. This was true even when there were "only" a few hundred participants.

It's a fact now ... whether an seasoned pro or an internet newbie, to win a tournament of this size you will have to win so many showdowns that luck will play a big part.

Hell, I won a little mini-tournament online last week with only 1 table (10 players) and I'll bet I had to win on the draw (against the odds, as in ... I made a mistake and was lucky enough for it not to cost me) at least 2 or 3 times.

Originally posted by Skip to my lou

Any websites giving updates on the day to day action...

Yes.

The two largest sites are probably pokerpages.com and cardplayer.com

But, you can find others simply by searching "WSOP 2004 results." Some of the smaller sites actually have more in-depth and faster info.

I liked Phil Ivey's style. He wasn't to ****y. MoneyMaker was lucky several times last year, but on those last two hands against Farha he played it perfect. Farha a seasoned vet didn't call his bluff.

My friends and I play about every two weeks and yes newbies and regulars win and lose almost evenly, but I'd have to say the better players win more often, and usually the big winners the majority of times. It is very much a skill game, if you don't believe me sit down with somebody who knows how to play and pony up some cash.

Fun game, can't wait to play next week.

Originally posted by All In

My friends and I play about every two weeks and yes newbies and regulars win and lose almost evenly, but I'd have to say the better players win more often, and usually the big winners the majority of times. It is very much a skill game, if you don't believe me sit down with somebody who knows how to play and pony up some cash.

I'm not disputing that. I play live games every couple of weeks and I play online 4 or 5 days a week. I wholeheartedly believe in skill vs. luck. In a regular game, the better player will almost always win.

My point in the previous post was that, in a tournament of the size of this year's WSOP, anyone who wins will have to be lucky at various times. Several times. Possibly many times. You can make the "correct" play and still have a better hand out there facing you, meaning you'll need to luck up on the draw.

(And if I was anywhere near you, I'd LOVE to pony up and sit down.) :)

Brave's right. To win a tournament you are going to have to draw out a few times, and survive a few bad beats as well. Luck is a factor.

However, at my regular table we keep track of who's won and who has lost, and how far in the black (or red) each regular is. And while everyone loses from time to time, the good players win more often than they lose, and the bad players lose more often than they win.

You can only play the cards you're dealt. But you still get to decide how to play them. :)

Here's a little bit of a spoiler, but I think it makes Brave's point perfectly. From yesterday's action:

8:20 PM

441 players remaining.

Howard Lederer has been eliminated by Doyle Brunson. Brunson moved in on the flop with a flush draw, Lederer called with top set, and Brunson's draw hit.

Hadn't heard about that, Henry. :laugh:

Ol' Doyle's still kickin'. With the popularity of poker right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see his life story on film in the next couple of years.

(I may play with the next 10-2 I get ... just in his honor.) :)

An update for those interested:

4 out of 50 "big name" players have

survived through day 4 of the 2004 WSOP:

Chris "Jesus" Ferguson

Dan Harrington

David "Devilfish" Ulliott

Doyle Brunson

Short scouting reports

"Jesus" - usually plays conservatively until the field gets down to

2 tables, when he has the tendency to overplay marginal

hands such as A9 and small pairs.

Harrington - "Action Dan" is known for being a conservative player