Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To Saddam's prisoners, US abuse seems 'a joke'

Ghost of

Sure, we're no better than Saddam. :rolleyes:

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=10&categ_id=2&article_id=4206

Some feel past crimes have been forgotten

By Gert Van Langendonk

Special to The Daily Star

Monday, May 24, 2004

BAGHDAD: Ibrahim al-Idrissi, 37, goes to work every day with a handgun in a holster on his hip. In most countries, the line of work Idrissi is in wouldn't require such firepower. But this is Iraq. Idrissi is the president of the Association for Free Prisoners, an Iraqi non-governmental organization that has been documenting the execution of political prisoners under the regime of Saddam Hussein.

Many of Saddam's torturers and executioners are still at large. There have been two attempts on Idrissi's life, and three on the organization's headquarters in Baghdad. "Fortunately, their aim hasn't been very good so far," Idrissi says.

One year ago, the organization was still called the Committee to Free Prisoners. In the hectic days after the fall of Baghdad, when people were digging holes all over the capital looking for secret prisons, there was still hope that some of the tens of thousands of political prisoners who disappeared under Saddam's regime were still alive somewhere. That hope has vanished, says Abdul Fatah al-Idrissi, 35, Ibrahim's younger brother. "Now, our work is not about releasing prisoners anymore."

Instead, it has become about documenting the horrors of the old regime. So far, the organization has been able to confirm the execution of 147,000 prisoners by Saddam. Last year, the garden of the group's headquarters, in a villa on the bank of the Tigris River in Kahdimiya, was filled with wailing and sobbing as hundreds of families came to check the names of their missing relatives against the lists being posted on a daily basis by the Idrissis and other volunteers. The lists were based on files recovered from Saddam's security apparatus. Behind the house, hundreds of now empty filing cabinets have begun to rust.

To ensure that the public's memory of the dead does not go the way of those abandoned filing cabinets, the brothers have continued their efforts over the past year. Like all the volunteers at the Association for Free Prisoners, both of them have seen the inside of Saddam's jails. Most of their family members were arrested for their membership in the illegal Shiite Dawa Party. They can count one brother and 10 cousins among those executed. Abdul Fatah was in prison for two years; Ibrahim spent six years and three months in prison - three of which were spent in the notorious prison at Abu Ghraib.

Ibrahim Idrissi has mixed feelings about the recent uproar caused by the abuse of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib under the US occupation. "As a humanitarian organization, we oppose this," he says. "But these are soldiers who have come to Iraq to fight, not to be prison guards. It was to be expected. Of course, if there are innocent people in there ... it is possible, I guess, that some of them are innocent."

If Idrissi seems a bit callous about the fate of the Iraqis in US-run jails, he has probably earned the right to differ. He recalls a day in 1982, at the General Security prison in Baghdad:

"They called all the prisoners out to the courtyard for what they called a 'celebration.' We all knew what they meant by 'celebration.' All the prisoners were chained to a pipe that ran the length of the courtyard wall. One prisoner, Amer al-Tikriti, was called out. They said if he didn't tell them everything they wanted to know, they would show him torture like he had never seen. He merely told them he would show them patience like they had never seen."

"This is when they brought out his wife, who was five months pregnant. One of the guards said that if he refused to talk he would get 12 guards to rape his wife until she lost the baby. Amer said nothing. So they did. We were forced to watch. Whenever one of us cast down his eyes, they would beat us."

"Amer's wife didn't lose the baby. So the guard took a knife, cut her belly open and took the baby out with his hands. The woman and child died minutes later. Then the guard used the same knife to cut Amer's throat." There is a moment of silence. Then Idrissi says: "What we have seen about the recent abuse at Abu Ghraib is a joke to us."

The Idrissis, and many families like them, feel that people in Iraq have too quickly relegated the horrors of the old regime to the annals of history. "But it is not the past to us," says Idrissi. "The mother of the person who was killed, his brothers and sisters, they are alive. We are still living the nightmare every day."

On most days, Ibrahim Idrissi can be seen chasing after members of Iraq's Governing Council, begging for a little attention for Saddam's victims. So far, he has had little luck. "No self-respecting Iraqi government can afford to ignore this issue," he says. "These people have paid with their blood so that the people on the Governing Council could be in charge."

The brothers hope to get compensation for the families, who have often lost all their belongings in addition to their loved ones. One day, they hope, the executioners will be put on trial. But most of all, they want recognition for what they, and thousands of others like them, have been through. And that people would stop saying "things were better under Saddam."

"Only criminals could say such a thing. The victims deserve better than this," Idrissi concludes.

Not going to see that on the nightly news... that would draw attention away from the attrocities of the US forces.... the human naked pyramids and women's panties on heads. Oh the humanity.. the horror!!!!

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

The silence in this thread sure is defeaning. Kind of like the silence on the many crimes that Saddam commited that we have unearthed.

Un****ing believable

Yep.

I know the typical response will be "But we're supposed to be better than them."

To which I say, yes, we are, but if you try to equate the two sides, you are doing all of us a disservice, especially the victims of real torture and murder.

And two of my friends refused to recognize the difference between Saddam's tortures and policy of domestic terrorism and the renegade actions of a relative few at that prison.

Hell, it's like the difference between some cops beating a suspect and a directive(secret or not) from the highest levels of the PDs around the country and the FBI to murder and torture suspects.

Unfortunately, some are so determined to confirm their bizarre, semi-religious belief in the inherent evil of the United States, that no amount of news or testimony will ever matter.

I'll jump in

Yes, Saddam was a brutal leader, but . . . (you knew the but was coming) . . .he wasn't a threat to our country. I have tried to get this point across time and time again, it's just falling on deaf ears.

chomerics

That POV is fine, though I disagree on your point about the threat he posed.

I'm still wondering where the chemical components to be used in the foiled Jordan bombing were acquired. Iraq by way of Syria?

And a guy who has Zarqawi, Abu Abbas and Abu Nidal in his country(the last two being specific guests of honor) in his country training terrorists(and the terrorists employed in his security forces) is a threat to a hell of a lot of people.

BUT, the war itself was not the point of the thread. Do not distract.

The point is that the hysterical cries from some are disingenuous and do real injustice to the truth and to our cause(if we are to have one) in the world. 'Cuz it certainly won't be France who stands on the side of anything remotely resembling freedom, rep. government, secular/moderate institutions and the end of jihad(be it of the Green kind or Red kind ;)

"This is when they brought out his wife, who was five months pregnant. One of the guards said that if he refused to talk he would get 12 guards to rape his wife until she lost the baby. Amer said nothing. So they did. We were forced to watch. Whenever one of us cast down his eyes, they would beat us."

"Amer's wife didn't lose the baby. So the guard took a knife, cut her belly open and took the baby out with his hands. The woman and child died minutes later. Then the guard used the same knife to cut Amer's throat." There is a moment of silence. Then Idrissi says: "What we have seen about the recent abuse at Abu Ghraib is a joke to us."

People are capable of this?

(can you post a link, I don't doubt the credibility but I want to post it on another forum)

Man, the so called torture we are putting them thru is a cakewalk for these guys compared to what they are used to. Sure its wrong what we are doing to prisoners but the crimes don't compare at all. At best, they should have been suspended without pay and demoted.

Yes, Saddam was a brutal leader, but . . . (you knew the but was coming) . . .he wasn't a threat to our country. I have tried to get this point across time and time again, it's just falling on deaf ears.

It's falling on deaf ears because you're wrong. The true point, the one you ignore, is the fact that Sadamm had already used WMDs on his own people. He had them, failed to prove their destruction or dismantling, and thumbed his nose at the International community (UN). Was the international community supposed to just take his word? John Kerry would have.

A SOB like him, the same one authorizing the gutting of a pregnant woman and the focus of this thread, already showed the penchants for using WMDs against the Kurds.

With the world turned on it's ear on 9-11, and Al-Qaeda's stated aim to kill Americans and take the fight to our homeland already established, how on earth could we have allowed a madman like Sadamm to remain in power and possibly give those WMD (Chemical, Nuclear, Biological) to Al-Qaeda so they could fullfill their aim and make Sadamm very happy in seeing our demise?

You see, you think he wasn't a threat to the US because the Middle East is nearly on the other side of the globe. One liter of sarin gas, a soldier infected w/ smallpox in a movie theatre, or a "dirty" bomb carried into this country by a Islamofacists radical soldier of Al-Qaeda and both Osama and Sadamm would have struck at the United States. Is that what you wanted?

Well, I did post this yesterday, but no one seemed to care.

ACB... notice I said nightly news.... a Redskin message board, eventhough we utilize if to gather news, is not the nightly news.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

chomerics

That POV is fine, though I disagree on your point about the threat he posed.

I'm still wondering where the chemical components to be used in the foiled Jordan bombing were acquired. Iraq by way of Syria?

I'd like to know myself. Did Hussen have a weapons program going? It doesn't look like it, but Iwould like to know. Hell, I made my mind up a long time ago, but I still want the answers to the questions I had. I know they can trace strains of toxins back to countries, so what's the deal with the Jordanian components? I've done some checking online, but I haven't been able to find out if it originated from Iraq or Syria. I was thinking Bush might say something about this tonight.

And a guy who has Zarqawi, Abu Abbas and Abu Nidal in his country(the last two being specific guests of honor) in his country training terrorists(and the terrorists employed in his security forces) is a threat to a hell of a lot of people.

I agree, but it's not so much going into Iraq that really pisses me off, it's how we went in. We should have bolstered support ala Bush I, through the UN, instead we gave the rest of the world

the finger and went in.

BUT, the war itself was not the point of the thread. Do not distract.

The point is that the hysterical cries from some are disingenuous and do real injustice to the truth and to our cause(if we are to have one) in the world. 'Cuz it certainly won't be France who stands on the side of anything remotely resembling freedom, rep. government, secular/moderate institutions and the end of jihad(be it of the Green kind or Red kind ;)

Originally posted by chomerics

I'd like to know myself. Did Hussen have a weapons program going? It doesn't look like it, but Iwould like to know. Hell, I made my mind up a long time ago, but I still want the answers to the questions I had. I know they can trace strains of toxins back to countries, so what's the deal with the Jordanian components? I've done some checking online, but I haven't been able to find out if it originated from Iraq or Syria. I was thinking Bush might say something about this tonight.

I agree, but it's not so much going into Iraq that really pisses me off, it's how we went in. We should have bolstered support ala Bush I, through the UN, instead we gave the rest of the world

the finger and went in.

The UN has been giving us the finger since it's formation, the UN is really not in the best interest's of the US, all we do is pump countless million's into it for people to hate us.

How long does it take a country to realize what were doing had to be done? And now they have had plenty of time to digest the situation, why don't they join in and help us? Because deep down they hate us, and would love nothing more than to see us fall.

Chomerics, you said sadam was never a threat to us, Would you have said the same about bin laden before 9/11? What would you be saying if we found out a day before 9/11 and prevented the attack's, and then went into afganistan to end the threat's against our country, would you be saying why are we there? They are no threat to us, people are alway's conjuring up excuses to attack other's for thier oil, does that sound like something you might say?

Originally posted by Cskin

It's falling on deaf ears because you're wrong. The true point, the one you ignore, is the fact that Sadamm had already used WMDs on his own people. He had them, failed to prove their destruction or dismantling, and thumbed his nose at the International community (UN). Was the international community supposed to just take his word? John Kerry would have.

A SOB like him, the same one authorizing the gutting of a pregnant woman and the focus of this thread, already showed the penchants for using WMDs against the Kurds.

He was gassing his people in the 80's when WE WERE HIS FREAKING ALLY!!! We turned a blind eye to this genocide because of the Iran-Iraq war, yet you want to use it now as justification? Keep on complaining about Kerry, your missing the biggest flip flop of them all, IRAQ!!! How can you go from ally to brutal dictator in a mere 2 years??? Let me tell you, invade a frigging country which gives the US oil!!!

While he was on our side, he had the fourth largest army in the world!!! Do you remember this? We propped him up, gave him some of the freaking bombs he was bombing his people with and turned a blind eye to this crap. Now, all of a sudden, we're the "liberators". of a brutal dictator!!!

With the world turned on it's ear on 9-11, and Al-Qaeda's stated aim to kill Americans and take the fight to our homeland already established, how on earth could we have allowed a madman like Sadamm to remain in power and possibly give those WMD (Chemical, Nuclear, Biological) to Al-Qaeda so they could fullfill their aim and make Sadamm very happy in seeing our demise?

Cut out this rah rah crap. The information Bush used to "invade" Iraq was marginal at best, and there were other reports contridicting their own media fed war. We invaded a sovergn nation, under the guise of a UN article, when the UN decided not to invade to begin with. Where have you been for the past three years, under a rock?

You see, you think he wasn't a threat to the US because the Middle East is nearly on the other side of the globe. One liter of sarin gas, a soldier infected w/ smallpox in a movie theatre, or a "dirty" bomb carried into this country by a Islamofacists radical soldier of Al-Qaeda and both Osama and Sadamm would have struck at the United States. Is that what you wanted?

Give me a frigging break, keep on painting your rose colored picture, we're in this sh!t because of freaking people like you!!! We have young Americans losing their lives over in Iraq right now fighting Bush's mismanaged, mislead, misguided war on terrorism because people like yourself bought into the propaganda fed BS like the African freaking yellowcake BS story that it was!!! Weed through all the crap everyone feeds you and find out what's going on, but your following on Bush speaks volumes for you as a man.

You make a lot of money, so you want Bush in power, just admit it for what it is, instead of trying to justify the reasons for invading Iraq as protecting America BS. Maybe if you did, I'd have a little bit more respect for you.

Originally posted by offiss

Chomerics, you said sadam was never a threat to us, Would you have said the same about bin laden before 9/11? What would you be saying if we found out a day before 9/11 and prevented the attack's, and then went into afganistan to end the threat's against our country, would you be saying why are we there? They are no threat to us, people are alway's conjuring up excuses to attack other's for thier oil, does that sound like something you might say?

You deserve a beating for this one, you asked for it.

Well, lets look at the "real" reason for invading Iraq, terrorism. This is what you're illuding to isn't it? This is why we invaded Iraq right? We were in a "war on terror". We had to stop the terrorists before they got to us right? Well now Mr. Wizzard, tell me how many Iraqis attacked us? What is that I hear?!? none? We invaded Saddam Hussen because we were attacked on 9-11 right? Lets look at this in much simpler terms, so your myopic view of forign affairs doesn't cloud your vision.

Your neighbour beats up your kid, so what do you do? I know, you're gonna burn the school down, that will teach your neighbour!!! Do you not see this is exactly what Bin Laden wanted? An American presence invading a middle eastern nation trying to force their idiologies down Muslims throats? What the hell is going on, was OBL playing Jedi mind games with Dubya?

Again, WE WERE FIGHTING A WAR ON TERROR!!! What the hell happened to Al Qaeda? We never took them out completely. We had Bin Laden cornered, yet we let infreaking Northern Alliance fighters to get him, instead of sending in our special ops. Why did we go to Iraq? To "premptivly strike"??? How can you not question not only the reasons for going to war, but the plan on what the fu(k to do when we got there!!!

This freakin war hasn't made us safer, it's made us a freaking target!!! Read papers from around the world, we're the bad guys now. The AP just released video of a damn wedding we blasted to crap. It doesn't matter what the hell we say any more nobody believes us!!! Even if it was a freaking safehouse, the world thinks it was a wedding, and again it's the big bad Americans. This IS Bush's war, he should be held to the fire. He was pissed off at Saddam because of his old man and frankly, I don't blame him. I'd just think I'd have a little bit harder time sending American troops to avenge a failed attampt to kill a family member. And lest not forget how much money's buried in the ground over there.

Give me a frigging break, keep on painting your rose colored picture, we're in this sh!t because of freaking people like you!!! We have young Americans losing their lives over in Iraq right now fighting Bush's mismanaged, mislead, misguided war on terrorism because people like yourself bought into the propaganda fed BS like the African freaking yellowcake BS story that it was!!! Weed through all the crap everyone feeds you and find out what's going on, but your following on Bush speaks volumes for you as a man.

You make a lot of money, so you want Bush in power, just admit it for what it is, instead of trying to justify the reasons for invading Iraq as protecting America BS. Maybe if you did, I'd have a little bit more respect for you.

Settle down guy. You're making a lot of assumptions here, but you seem to be overlooking some facts:

Fact 1. Iraq invaded and attempted to overthrow Kuwait.

Fact 2. When the US drove Sadam out of Kuwait, he was told that he would have to prove the destruction of found weapons.

Fact 3. He did not comply with these demands.

You don't see how that added up to a dangerous situation for the US? You don't think that Sadam wouldn't have been interested in providing terrorists with weapons that could be used against us? Let's just say for a minute I'm Sadam. I really want to conquer neighboring countries so I can control their oil, but those damn pesky Americans won't let me. Now I've got these weapons, but I can't figure out how to get them to the US. Wait a minute those crazy dudes from the next desert over hate the US even more then I do. Hmmm...

So, since we haven't found the WMD's yet they don't exist. Those reports must have been false, but yet you are so ready to believe mostly unproven reports of US soldiers torturing and raping Iraqis. Why such a lack of confidence in your own people?

Originally posted by GSF

Settle down guy. You're making a lot of assumptions here, but you seem to be overlooking some facts:

Yea, I get ranty every now and then, just my way of venting.

Fact 1. Iraq invaded and attempted to overthrow Kuwait.

Fact 2. When the US drove Sadam out of Kuwait, he was told that he would have to prove the destruction of found weapons.

Fact 3. He did not comply with these demands.

1.) I agreed with the first war in Iraq and Afghanistan. I was just bringing up the point that we were his ally when he was gassing people. It doesn't work as an excuse to invade. Was he evil, yes, was he brutal, yes, but there were a lot more evil and brutal dictators around.

2.) Yep and he played cat and mouse games for the next 8 years. One thing though, we never allowed him to regain his military might, we forced sanctions on his country and it was down to third world status. He was not a threat, Syria was/is a MUCH greater threat that Iraq ever was. We ignored every solid bit of evidence and force fed the stuff that agreed with the viewpoint of our leader. This is not how I want my country run. I want him to make the best judgement based on facts, not believe that he already knows the answer before the facts are given to him.

3.) And you lose American lives over this? You continue the cat and mouse crap going on, and keep a close eye on him.

You don't see how that added up to a dangerous situation for the US? You don't think that Sadam wouldn't have been interested in providing terrorists with weapons that could be used against us? Let's just say for a minute I'm Sadam. I really want to conquer neighboring countries so I can control their oil, but those damn pesky Americans won't let me. Now I've got these weapons, but I can't figure out how to get them to the US. Wait a minute those crazy dudes from the next desert over hate the US even more then I do. Hmmm...

So, since we haven't found the WMD's yet they don't exist. Those reports must have been false, but yet you are so ready to believe mostly unproven reports of US soldiers torturing and raping Iraqis. Why such a lack of confidence in your own people?

You neglect to mention that OBL hated Hussen, these two weren't best buds. Hussen tried a couple of times for a truce, but OBL wouldn't go for it. Hussen had a seculr regime, andOBL dispised him for it.

As for the WMDs, I never thought they weren't there, I just thought it was a ludicrous excuse to go after him, espically if he wasn't processing them, or making new weapons.

As for the "unproven" reports, I refer to the Taguba report. His investegation, which labels the problems as systemic, and a failure in the chain of command. It's freaking recruiting material for terrorists, but we're making America safer, yea right. :rolleyes:

I'll jump in

Read up on sarin. See how much so little can do

You deserve a beating for this one, you asked for it.

Well, lets look at the "real" reason for invading Iraq, terrorism. This is what you're illuding to isn't it? This is why we invaded Iraq right? We were in a "war on terror". We had to stop the terrorists before they got to us right? Well now Mr. Wizzard, tell me how many Iraqis attacked us? What is that I hear?!? none? We invaded Saddam Hussen because we were attacked on 9-11 right? Lets look at this in much simpler terms, so your myopic view of forign affairs doesn't cloud your vision.

Your neighbour beats up your kid, so what do you do? I know, you're gonna burn the school down, that will teach your neighbour!!! Do you not see this is exactly what Bin Laden wanted? An American presence invading a middle eastern nation trying to force their idiologies down Muslims throats? What the hell is going on, was OBL playing Jedi mind games with Dubya?

Again, WE WERE FIGHTING A WAR ON TERROR!!! What the hell happened to Al Qaeda? We never took them out completely. We had Bin Laden cornered, yet we let infreaking Northern Alliance fighters to get him, instead of sending in our special ops. Why did we go to Iraq? To "premptivly strike"??? How can you not question not only the reasons for going to war, but the plan on what the fu(k to do when we got there!!!

This freakin war hasn't made us safer, it's made us a freaking target!!! Read papers from around the world, we're the bad guys now. The AP just released video of a damn wedding we blasted to crap. It doesn't matter what the hell we say any more nobody believes us!!! Even if it was a freaking safehouse, the world thinks it was a wedding, and again it's the big bad Americans. This IS Bush's war, he should be held to the fire. He was pissed off at Saddam because of his old man and frankly, I don't blame him. I'd just think I'd have a little bit harder time sending American troops to avenge a failed attampt to kill a family member. And lest not forget how much money's buried in the ground over there.

Boy that sure is a lot of typing, you would think you could have at least answered the question?

I do believe you spend way to much time worring about what everyone else think's, that's not what's in question here, it's what is right, and what is wrong, the problem is which you haven't realized, is we are already a target for these animal's, it's only a matter of time, are we to believe that because we had the audasity to go after this vermin after 9/11, and everyone linked to them, we are the bad guy's? My friend let me educate you on something, to most of the world we are the bad guy's, long before 9/11, even countries who are not hostile to us would sit back and chuckle if we fell, nobody likes a front runner, now it's quite obvious that you have a warm spot in your heart for HUSSAIN, and I can understand why you believe he's not such a bad guy, with all those humaniterian award's he's accumulated over the year's, and let's not forget about his nobel piece prize as well, and if you don't believe me just re-read the article that started this thread and you will see what a swell guy he really is!

I can't believe why any one would consider such a sweetheart a threat. Maybe the vermont teddy bear co. can comemerate his tenure with a sadam hussain teddy bear, I promise to send you one!:thumbsup:

Originally posted by offiss

Boy that sure is a lot of typing, you would think you could have at least answered the question?

I do believe you spend way to much time worring about what everyone else think's, that's not what's in question here, it's what is right, and what is wrong, the problem is which you haven't realized, is we are already a target for these animal's, it's only a matter of time, are we to believe that because we had the audasity to go after this vermin after 9/11, and everyone linked to them, we are the bad guy's? My friend let me educate you on something, to most of the world we are the bad guy's, long before 9/11, even countries who are not hostile to us would sit back and chuckle if we fell, nobody likes a front runner, now it's quite obvious that you have a warm spot in your heart for HUSSAIN, and I can understand why you believe he's not such a bad guy, with all those humaniterian award's he's accumulated over the year's, and let's not forget about his nobel piece prize as well, and if you don't believe me just re-read the article that started this thread and you will see what a swell guy he really is!

I can't believe why any one would consider such a sweetheart a threat. Maybe the vermont teddy bear co. can comemerate his tenure with a sadam hussain teddy bear, I promise to send you one!:thumbsup:

So remind me...if we're just gonna rid the world of all the Bad Guys....why isn't Kim out of power? Or why did we support possibly the most dispisable leader of the modern century (Hitler and Stalin excluded) in Pinoche? We pick and choose are battles. I happen to disagree with Iraq, but you can't claim that we're only going in to rid the world of the worst dictators. There are worse out there, and we've set some of them up, like Chomerics is stating. He never said he liked Saddam, but just because you don't support the war doesn't mean you automatically thought he was a good leader.

Archived