Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Give Mcants a chance!

stepdaddy1

I think its time to give Mcants a real chance to be starter along side Coles.Gardner is good but, it seems he drops too many passes. At Clemson he was like fly paper, he caught everything, in the pro's he is to inconcestent.What did he catch last year 60 passes,and dropped about 20. When Coles gets the double teams I think Mcants can be more clutch then Gardner.Just my opinion, what do my fellow skinz fanz think?:2cents:

I love McCants but i'm not sure he has the physical tools to be as good as Gardner or Jacobs can be. Yes McCants played well last year, but he never really went up against team's number 1 or 2 corners...he was mostly paired up against linebackers or safeties in a 4 WR set. There's a huge difference.

Rod on the other hand had a 1k yard season going up against top corners when he was our numbe 1 guy...and didn't have that bad of stats for a number 2 receiver. If you didn't notice our whole team sucked last year and even Coles wasn't as productive as his previous year. Before you put Gardner on the choping block or discount other high picks lets see what they can do with some better coaching and a "open up the passing game by running the ball effectively" system.

The way I see it, under the right system, which we finally have again in Washington, we have 2 #1's, Coles and Gardner. Gardner has proven he can be a #1 reciever. McCants, though he showed he can play, he's still just the #3 in Washington.

Originally posted by VaSkinsNut

I love McCants but i'm not sure he has the physical tools to be as good as Gardner or Jacobs can be. Yes McCants played well last year, but he never really went up against team's number 1 or 2 corners...he was mostly paired up against linebackers or safeties in a 4 WR set. There's a huge difference.

Rod on the other hand had a 1k yard season going up against top corners when he was our numbe 1 guy...and didn't have that bad of stats for a number 2 receiver. If you didn't notice our whole team sucked last year and even Coles wasn't as productive as his previous year. Before you put Gardner on the choping block or discount other high picks lets see what they can do with some better coaching and a "open up the passing game by running the ball effectively" system.

I think Rod needs to concentrate. Maybe Gibbs and company could make him better. I think the Skins have the potential to have one of the best overall receiving corps in the NFL. Coles,Gardner,McCants & Jacobs. Also I think Scott Cloman who performed well in preseason might make some unexpected noise.

yeah i agree with Symbol, Garder has proven he can be a number 1 reciever....the system spurrier was running was crap....no running back and even when we had Davis, spurrier misused him....Gardner shoud go back to his second season form under Gibbs and post similar if not better numbers under Gibbs system. but if Mcants gets the starting job, that means Gibbs thinks he's better so that means he should start....that would also mean that we have atleast 3 good recievers.

I get on Gardner as much as anybody, about his dropping passes, but he does have great size and strength. He can out jump many Dbs and has a lot of potential. Nobody will be given a job under Gibbs. Who ever gets the #2 spot will earn it, and will have to continue to earn in it every game, and at every practice. I think that Gardner may have a big season this year. Just wait and see.

Mcants is a helluva #3 reciever but dont jump the gun Rod just needs to concentrate he is one of the few recievers that uses his hands other than his body with Brunells(if he starts) touch he will blossom. Mcants was money in the endzone but he was the third reciever who nobody was paying any mind.

wow, seemed like a lot of people on this site were against Gardner, im glad a lot of people arent as well. He drops passes, yes, but he has been improving his awareness. He has good speed, not Coles speed but good speed, but he can shed blockers and can jump well, he is pretty tall. Seems like he did really well his first 2 seasons given the role and situation he was in, and he certainly filled well as a 2nd reciever last year. I want to see the next Clark/Monk combo in Coles/Gardner.

Gardner's done pretty well all in all, and Gibbs' system and coaching could take him to another level. /he should be a solid number two to Coles, and his skills are a nice complement to Laveranues'. Keep him where he is.

McCants will get his chance, and Gibbs will use him to his best advantage. Plus, I guarantee that Joe will remember his name :rolleyes:

I suspect McCants will end up as our #4 or #5 receiver by the end of the season. Jacobs is a real talent and, in my humble opinion, much more likely to unseat Rod at the #2. Factor in James Thrash and you could easily see McCants fighting it out with Thrash for the #4 spot.

Gardner has shown he can be a successfull player and while he drops a few passes I don't think its nearly the issue many people on this forum seem to believe. Gardner would be a VERY strong slot receiver if Jacobs is on the field as well. Coles, Gardner, Jacobs and Portis on the field together would give us a lot of speed and create all sorts of matchup nightmares.

Archived