Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flames in the Finals

fwo40

I know that probably no one else cares about this...but I have to take a moment to appreciate the Calgary Flames making the Stanley Cup Finals. I've been a fan for years...and they've had one of the longest playoff droughts of any team I can remember in all hockey.

This year they have a young, hard working, underestimated team that has finally broken through to the championship level. For years they were the unofficial "farm" team of the NHL - small market and couldn't afford to keep anyone they developed.

Now with a little money reinvested in the club (although still only about half the payroll of the NHL's "upper" teams) we are very close to a modern day sports miracle.

This would be like if the Expos made the World Series...or the Clippers made the NBA Finals. I'm just truly excited. Maybe this gives you Caps fans some hope....it can be done. Hockey teams can turn it around even after season and season of hardship.

The Flames haven't been to the playoffs in 7 years. It is certainly an in interesting story ... good to see them advance so far. Reminds me of the Hurricanes making the Stanley Cup Finals a few years ago, which I was lucky enough to attend. Lots of fun.

And, I'm sure a lot of our friends to the North are happy to have a team in the finals for the first time in 10 years. :)

You know what the best part of the run is? We didn't just slide our way through...getting by on luck and matchups....we had to beat the #1,#2,and #3 seeds in the conference.

It's the 1st time in NHL history that a team has beaten 3 100 point teams...all division winners.

And yes, you can bet all of Canada is solidly behind them. I kinda hope the Flyers go to the Finals too....as not only does my hatred of Philly transcend all sports and I'd love to see us kick their ass...but I might just drive down there to be part of the whole maddness.

I have a cusotmer that is in Calgary and the buyer calls me before the playoffs and says "Bruins all the way" OOPS.

Then he calls this morning and says "How about those Flames" UGH! :laugh:

I knew that the Wilson coached Sharks would fade.

FWO, who do you like in the Eastern Conference Finals?

I'm pulling for the Lightning. The Flyers fans around here are driving me nuts! :hammer:

Originally posted by rdsknbill

I have a cusotmer that is in Calgary and the buyer calls me before the playoffs and says "Bruins all the way" OOPS.

Then he calls this morning and says "How about those Flames" UGH! :laugh:

I knew that the Wilson coached Sharks would fade.

FWO, who do you like in the Eastern Conference Finals?

I'm pulling for the Lightning. The Flyers fans around here are driving me nuts! :hammer:

Being in this neighborhood (CT) and hating them so...it was great to see the Bruins collaspe :laugh:

I'm torn with the East. I think Calgary's best shot is to face the Flyers...b/c I think physically we would kick the crap out of them...and beat them into submission like we did with the Red Wings. We don't have better talent on paper...but we'd be younger and hungier...and I like them odds.

But, I have to say it's tough for me to root against the Lightning because I really respect what they're doing. They have an amazing attack offense and their defense plays deceptively tough...not a lot of highlight film hits...but they do all the great forechecking and pokechecking that teams need to do. Plus, their goal tending has been astounding for stretches.

So even though, it would present a HUGE challenge for the Flames...I have to root for Tampa. In some ways they're a lot like us. Plus, if we somehow did beat them...we'd know we'd beaten the very best....knocking off the #1 seed on each side of the league would be pretty damn sweet. :D

That Flyer/Lightning game was classic. I must say I enjoy watching close overtime games. Good thing too. Cause the Flames seem to wind up in them every other game.

But I agree with you, Go Tampa.....

(as long as they get more than a little worn out along the way)

I'm sure a lot of our friends to the North are happy to have a team in the finals for the first time in 10 years.

It's definitely encouraging to have a Canadian team in the Stanley Cup Finals again. While Canada will surely be rooting on a team from our home country, the scale of excitement for the Flames appearance in the final isn't as big as it would be if say the Maple Leafs were in the Stanley Cup. Outside of Alberta, the Flames arguably don't have a huge following. Meanwhile, the Leafs are the sh*t in Canada. Their fans are everywhere across the country and whenever they play in the opposing rink of other Canadian teams you can be sure that about 40% of the attendance is cheering on the Leafs. It's great seeing Calgary represent, but I want to live to see the day when the Leafs appear in the finals. That would truly capture Canada's attention even more so than the Flames.

Nevertheless, Calgary is a great story. I hope they pull it off. As long as the Flyers are eliminated I happy though. I can't stand Bobby Clarke.

Everybody talks about parity in the NFL, but you have to give the NHL some credit too. Teams are popping up out of nowhere all the time now it seems. Small market teams like Anaheim, Florida, Buffalo, Washington, Carolina, and now Calgary are proving that anything is possible. Now all we need is for one of these small market teams to actually win a Cup final.

What's odd about it to me...is that I read somewhere about Edmonton fans rallying around the Flames. Now that would simply not happen in America...it would be like if Dallas made it to the Superbowl and all of us rooted for them b/c they were from the NFC East or something. Hated rivals until the championship is on the line.

The Canadian effect is hard to imagine down here. Hog (apologize for the shortening of the name if it's inappropriate) do I take it from your post that you're a Leafs fan?

If so, good for you...you've got to of my favorite old boys to root for there in Roberts and Nieuwendyk. It tore my heart out to watch them leave Calgary.

Fortunately, when Nieuwendyk left for Dallas we got a promising, but little known guy called Igilna. So I'd say that cushioned the blow.

Being I Hockey fan I am glad to see the Flames make it to the Finals. Even though they upset the Canucks in the first round.

They are a tuff team and Kippersoff Miikka Kiprusoff is the real deal.

That is the beauty of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, it is wide open and anything can happen. :asta:

A lot more exciting then know the Bulls or Lakers will be there almost every year.

The Canadian effect is hard to imagine down here. Hog (apologize for the shortening of the name if it's inappropriate) do I take it from your post that you're a Leafs fan?

fwo40,

To answer your question I guess you can say I'm a "moderate" Leafs fan. I surely don't live and die by the Leafs as I do for the Skins, nor do I follow hockey as closely as I did when I was younger. I do take an interest in the playoffs however, and root for the Leafs come playoff time mainly because my father and brother are diehard hockey/Leaf fans.

Roberts and Nieuwendyk are solid players for sure. I sure hope that the Leafs can stay healthy for once in a playoff run, keep their guys together for another season or two, and take another shot at the Cup. They've come too close too often now since Dougie Gilmour's arrival in '92.

Originally posted by fwo40

Oh they'll choke....when Iglina or Simon ram their sticks down their throats they'll be choking for sure.

:rolleyes:

preemssmile.gif

He may have something to say about that.

Plus, I disagree with the statement about Calgary being more hungry. Philly has a lot of over 30 players who know this may be their last shot at the cup. Expect to see them revved up tonight.

flyerssmile.gif

Originally posted by Eagles_Legendz

:rolleyes:

preemssmile.gif

He may have something to say about that.

Plus, I disagree with the statement about Calgary being more hungry. Philly has a lot of over 30 players who know this may be their last shot at the cup. Expect to see them revved up tonight.

flyerssmile.gif

It's a bit of hockey trash talk...obviously the Cup will be hotly contested no matter who gets in....

but I'll tell you this: People have been telling me I've been dreaming all year with the Flames....and look where we are now!!

And the reason I like the Flyers as a better matchup is exactly the reason you gave. Detroit had a lot of old players too...Hall of Famers in fact, guys like Hull and Chelios who should very well be hungry. And we simply wore them down with physical play...now I agree the Flyers are slightly more physical...but they aren't anything compared to our goons.

And Gagne and Primeua are fantastic so far, but we've got Igilna and a vastly underrated Conroy....plus with Kipper in the net...we've always got a shot.

15 years without respect you can bet we're hungry....we went through the Canucks, Wings, and Sharks...all teams I think could take the Flyers in a 7 game series. So I'd say our odds are more than dreaming...especially when you consider our 8-2 road record in the playoffs, which means home ice ain't worth much.

Still man, bets of luck tonight...I hope we get to test our opposing theories...it's good to see people passionate about hockey.

Originally posted by Rejuvenated Canadian Hog

fwo40,

To answer your question I guess you can say I'm a "moderate" Leafs fan. I surely don't live and die by the Leafs as I do for the Skins, nor do I follow hockey as closely as I did when I was younger. I do take an interest in the playoffs however, and root for the Leafs come playoff time mainly because my father and brother are diehard hockey/Leaf fans.

Roberts and Nieuwendyk are solid players for sure. I sure hope that the Leafs can stay healthy for once in a playoff run, keep their guys together for another season or two, and take another shot at the Cup. They've come too close too often now since Dougie Gilmour's arrival in '92.

Yeah I've always rooted for Toronto in the East, them or Montreal. I just like Canadian teams...they always seem to be the underdogs, the gritty guys that will fight the odds to get there. And when you consider something like 60% of the NHL fan base is Canadian...you realize they do deserve some winning teams up there.

Originally posted by fwo40

It's a bit of hockey trash talk...obviously the Cup will be hotly contested no matter who gets in....

but I'll tell you this: People have been telling me I've been dreaming all year with the Flames....and look where we are now!!

And the reason I like the Flyers as a better matchup is exactly the reason you gave. Detroit had a lot of old players too...Hall of Famers in fact, guys like Hull and Chelios who should very well be hungry. And we simply wore them down with physical play...now I agree the Flyers are slightly more physical...but they aren't anything compared to our goons.

And Gagne and Primeua are fantastic so far, but we've got Igilna and a vastly underrated Conroy....plus with Kipper in the net...we've always got a shot.

15 years without respect you can bet we're hungry....we went through the Canucks, Wings, and Sharks...all teams I think could take the Flyers in a 7 game series. So I'd say our odds are more than dreaming...especially when you consider our 8-2 road record in the playoffs, which means home ice ain't worth much.

Still man, bets of luck tonight...I hope we get to test our opposing theories...it's good to see people passionate about hockey.

I certainly am not claiming that the Flames would have no shot against Philly. Iginla is a beast and Conroy has been good so far, as is Kipersov (sp?). Would be an interesting series.

I think that you can compare Detriot to Philadelphia, in that both have older, experienced players, but Detriot has won the cup 3 out of the last 8 years. They have players who have etched their names on the cup. The Flyers don't. Primeau, Roenick, Amonte, et al will be going all out because they haven't won it before, whereas Hull and Chelios have.

And Calgary has undoubtedly taken a tough road to get to the Finals, but I think it is a little demeaning to claim that every team Calgary has beaten could take Philadelphia. Philly's path hasn't been a cakewalk either. They beat the defending champions (and arch-nemesis NJ), Toronto with Belfour, and are in a tough series now with an incredibly tough Lightning team. 4 hours 'till the puck drops tonight.

:cool:

All I can say is that I'm very pleased that the Flyers have been eliminated. I feel bad for certain people in their organization, in particular Keith Primeau who was a beast in the playoffs. However, I don't think too highly of Ken Hitch**** and Bobby Clarke. Hitch**** was very unprofessional with some of his trash talking early on in the series and I think that a bit of justice has been served.

Overall, I think that the Flyers took alot more out of Tampa than the Sharks took out of the Flames. I expect the Cup to come back to Canada with the Flames clinching a championship in six games.

Originally posted by Rejuvenated Canadian Hog

All I can say is that I'm very pleased that the Flyers have been eliminated. I feel bad for certain people in their organization, in particular Keith Primeau who was a beast in the playoffs. However, I don't think too highly of Ken Hitch**** and Bobby Clarke. Hitch**** was very unprofessional with some of his trash talking early on in the series and I think that a bit of justice has been served.

Overall, I think that the Flyers took alot more out of Tampa than the Sharks took out of the Flames. I expect the Cup to come back to Canada with the Flames clinching a championship in six games.

Hog. that would make my day!! But I do worry about the Lightning they are an extremely tough team on both ends of the ice...and if Khaboluin (sp?) is on we have almost no shot to take them.

But I stand by my Philly statements...although Vancouver may have had a tough series with them, I honestly think they would've come out ahead. And, the Wings and Sharks most defintely would've had their number...it sounds disrespectful, but it isn't a personal attack on the Flyers....I just think the West had the bigger guns this year...with one exception: Tampa Bay.

We have our hands full and this is the matchup I dreaded, but the odds have been stacked against the Flames all year...why should the cup be any different?

I only have three words for it: Go Flames Go.

Hey fwo, another big Flames fan here. Its been quite a run so far. It is a pretty big deal up here in Canada, and well the Calgary post game street parties have been crazy. Unfortunately, I'm halfway across the country, but well the photos online say all there is to know. Lets just say, its like Mardi Gras minus the beeds. :)

Originally posted by ThatGuy

Hey fwo, another big Flames fan here. Its been quite a run so far. It is a pretty big deal up here in Canada, and well the Calgary post game street parties have been crazy. Unfortunately, I'm halfway across the country, but well the photos online say all there is to know. Lets just say, its like Mardi Gras minus the beeds. :)

That's awesome...I'm so happy for the real fans of this team....and for the city of Calgary. I've never been there...and I've only followed them since about 1988, but I feel like I've suffered with all of the natives.

Plus, what's great about it is they are finally getting some media coverage and respect. It's been so hard to follow them down here in the lean years....last year I was lucky enough to see them play the Bruins, but apart from that I get to see so few games live.

Tampa looks damn tough...but I don't doubt the Flames effort for anything.

Archived