Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Cowboys Want Deal by June 30th

China

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1799997

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Associated Press

DALLAS -- The Dallas Cowboys say they're rushing against time to get a new stadium, pushing county commissioners to accept a deal by the end of June.

The Dallas County Commissioners Court, which on Tuesday approved an economic study of the Cowboys' Fair Park proposal, is more cautious.

The Cowboys, who want to return the team's venue to Dallas from the suburb of Irving with a $650 million stadium, have gone a week without responding to questions from commissioners about public financing, stadium user fees and other funding options for construction.

"They are negotiating in good faith. But I could see us here next year at this time, still negotiating," County Commissioner Margaret Keliher told The Dallas Morning News in Wednesday's editions.

Team officials maintain that June 30 is their target date for concluding negotiations with commissioners. Taxpayers would be called upon to help finance $425 million of the cost for the retractable-dome stadium near downtown through car rental and hotel occupancy taxes.

"There's just no way it can be June 30," said Commissioner Ken Mayfield.

Cowboys spokesman Brett Daniels said team officials are still hopeful about finishing by then but "we realize there's a lot of work to be done."

The Cowboys are also reviewing the county's questions, Daniels said, and will respond immediately when they have answers.

California-based Barrett Sports Group will conduct the economic study, which could take 60 to 120 days to finish.

Commissioners want to explore other funding options such as ticket, parking and luxury suite taxes.

Team officials want their plan to be presented for public vote in November. Negotiations, by law, must be completed by Sept. 1 for that to occur.

"It seems the Cowboys are telling us, `Hurry up, hurry up, hurry up,"' said Commissioner Jim Jackson, "but they want all the 'hurry up' to come from our side."

If voters approve a referendum, construction would begin September 2005 and be completed by December 2008.

----------------------------------------------

I see Jerry Jones won't pay for the stadium himself as JKC did. I also note that neither the Cowboys or Dallas want to pay for the stadium and are looking to make out-of-towners (car rental and hotel taxes) pay for the stadium. May that's why they're called "America's team"!

PS - Its about time they got rid of that antiquated stadium with the half-a$$ed roof.

:dallasuck

Originally posted by China

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1799997

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Associated Press

DALLAS -- The Dallas Cowboys say they're rushing against time to get a new stadium, pushing county commissioners to accept a deal by the end of June.

The Dallas County Commissioners Court, which on Tuesday approved an economic study of the Cowboys' Fair Park proposal, is more cautious.

The Cowboys, who want to return the team's venue to Dallas from the suburb of Irving with a $650 million stadium, have gone a week without responding to questions from commissioners about public financing, stadium user fees and other funding options for construction.

"They are negotiating in good faith. But I could see us here next year at this time, still negotiating," County Commissioner Margaret Keliher told The Dallas Morning News in Wednesday's editions.

Team officials maintain that June 30 is their target date for concluding negotiations with commissioners. Taxpayers would be called upon to help finance $425 million of the cost for the retractable-dome stadium near downtown through car rental and hotel occupancy taxes.

"There's just no way it can be June 30," said Commissioner Ken Mayfield.

Cowboys spokesman Brett Daniels said team officials are still hopeful about finishing by then but "we realize there's a lot of work to be done."

The Cowboys are also reviewing the county's questions, Daniels said, and will respond immediately when they have answers.

California-based Barrett Sports Group will conduct the economic study, which could take 60 to 120 days to finish.

Commissioners want to explore other funding options such as ticket, parking and luxury suite taxes.

Team officials want their plan to be presented for public vote in November. Negotiations, by law, must be completed by Sept. 1 for that to occur.

"It seems the Cowboys are telling us, `Hurry up, hurry up, hurry up,"' said Commissioner Jim Jackson, "but they want all the 'hurry up' to come from our side."

If voters approve a referendum, construction would begin September 2005 and be completed by December 2008.

----------------------------------------------

I see Jerry Jones won't pay for the stadium himself as JKC did. I also note that neither the Cowboys or Dallas want to pay for the stadium and are looking to make out-of-towners (car rental and hotel taxes) pay for the stadium. May that's why they're called "America's team"!

:dallasuck

Thats Jones and the Cowbums for you.

That would be hilarious, especially with a midnight getaway.

I have always been of the mind that the sports team should foot a majority of the bill, if not all of it, for a new stadium. The taxpayers should pay for infrastructure and related costs.

Originally posted by Yusuf06

Wouldn't it be absolutely HI Fricking LARIOUS if the Cowpukes and the city couldn't resolve these issues and the team was moved to L.A.??

I'd crap myself laughing if that happened.

WOW!! THAT would be IN-fu@#ing-CREDIBLE! :dallasuck

Could it be?? THAt would be just too good to be true.................then again, Joe Gibbs DID in fact come back to us!! :D

Something tells me the Cowboys aren't going anywhere, unfortunately. But if they did move to LA, would they pick a new name or keep "Cowboys?"

Hmm. The LA Earthquakes, the LA Wildfires, the LA Droughts. The LA Tsunami, the LA Landslides, the LA Drive-Bys. In honor of LA's famous resident, former NFL back and double-murderer, they could name themselves the LA Slow White Broncos.

They'd better get packing before the Chargers beat them to town.

Just kidding. Nobody would move to LA anticipating an improved stadium deal.

:helmet: :helmet: :helmet:

Archived