Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins 2004 O-line

stevea

4 O-line starters are pretty well set, unless Fiore surprises us and comes back strong (retirement is his most likely position this Fall). They are:

LOT Chris Samuels ... LG Derrick Dockery ... RG Randy Thomas ... ROT Jon Jansen

The battle for starting Center looks to be one of the toughest camp competitions this Summer. I give the edge to

... ... C Lennie Friedman ... ...

That would make the following 3 players the most likely backups:

LOT Brandon Winey ... C Corey Raymer ... ROT Kenyatta Jones

That would be 8 OL-men on the roster. What about a backup Guard or two?

Here is the surprise. I believe that by the end of training camp the best backup Guard on our roster will be ......... Kenyatta Jones. IMO it's a mistake to only consider him a Tackle.

Since Friedman could also play Guard if needed, that means that the Redskins could limit the O-line to 8 roster slots. IMO that's a very serious possibility.

Next on the bubble ...

The guy on our roster who I think has the best chance of being #9 is Center/Guard Bill Ferrario. In fact, I think Ferrario could eventually push Raymer for one of the top 2 Center slots, although I don't think he'll beat out Raymer this year. But if Gibbs wants to develop a versatile 9th OL-man Ferrario currently has the edge.

As far as the other OL-men ...

I think Mark Wilson and Jim Molinaro were drafted specifically to be projects stashed on the Practice Squad, and trained to be backup LOT and ROT (respectively).

And UDFA Quinn Christensen was similarly signed to be a developmental backup Guard, and might get the 3rd of our 8 PS slots.

I would be very surprised if any of the other OL prospects remain on the roster.

HTTR!

Our offensive lineman picks will be in NFLE I am sure, come that season's end.

Both are excellent for the future, and time will tell if Raymer is back at peak form or not. Friedman has the edge yes, and I think Samuels, as long as he works that contract will have a huge year. That compliments Jansen, who elevates his game every year.

I doubt you could get 5th and 6th rd OLM through waivers without being claimed. There are always teams looking for good cheap young OL help that will find a place for a prospect on their 53 man roster. It would be ashame to lose these guys after making only 4 draft picks.

1. Fiore still hasnt decided if he's retiring or not. His arthritic knee isnt getting any better per the media reports.

2. Raymer has more skill than Friedman has, Ive no doubt that Corey will be the starting C. Thats the reason they signed him.

Actually, I think the draftees and UDFA Christensen have a shot of making the ball club. Wilson is a pure tackle... and I believe he has the versatality to move from left to right. Molinaro is projected at guard... eventhough he played some tackle at ND. Recent reports had him lining up at LG beside Wilson.

Christensen is interesting. I think he's the Joe Jacoby of the new guys. He's huge... is said to have great feet and great hand technique.

I wouldn't be suprised if Bugel has them ready and all three are kept on the roster as backup OL.

Originally posted by Pocono

I doubt you could get 5th and 6th rd OLM through waivers without being claimed. There are always teams looking for good cheap young OL help that will find a place for a prospect on their 53 man roster. It would be ashame to lose these guys after making only 4 draft picks.

Molinaro has limited experience on the offensive side of the ball and is a project. If the skins waive him with the intent to place him on the PS another team would have to offer a spot on the 53 man roster, or else I beleive he would choose to stay with Bugel, Gibbs. :2cents:

Originally posted by gregjett

Molinaro has limited experience on the offensive side of the ball and is a project. If the skins waive him with the intent to place him on the PS another team would have to offer a spot on the 53 man roster, or else I beleive he would choose to stay with Bugel, Gibbs. :2cents:

How do you know that? Do you know him personally? How do you know where his loyaties are? He may want to go home (wherever that is) and try to make the practice squad their. Then we jost lost another draft pick. I wasn't and still am not happy about our 5th and 6th rd picks. I thought we should have gotten some D-line projects. But I'll be real pissed if we just let them go, and get nothing in return. To me that just sounds crazy

Originally posted by jrfriedm

How do you know that? Do you know him personally? How do you know where his loyaties are? He may want to go home (wherever that is) and try to make the practice squad their. Then we jost lost another draft pick. I wasn't and still am not happy about our 5th and 6th rd picks. I thought we should have gotten some D-line projects. But I'll be real pissed if we just let them go, and get nothing in return. To me that just sounds crazy

I do not know that and I do not know him personally. That is why I used the word 'believe'. My reasons are: If you are trying to learn to play OL in the NFL, I do not know of another more respected coach to teach the young man. And I am also hoping for a little loyality to the team that drafted him and the teamates he went through camp with.

Didn't go back and look taped games as much this year and I also had the tendency to hang my head in disgust over certain poor game plans.

Just wondering why everybody has penciled Dockery in as a certain starter at left guard. He is massive and has unlimited potential. But, he did make his share of mistakes last year and I am not entirely certain that he played up to his potential on every play. As such, my darkhorse prediction is that by the end of the season our left guard may end up being one of the rookies. I think Bugel picked up the three lineman for their intensity and mental toughness, don't be surprised if Dockery has to consistently pick up his level of play to remain as the starter.

Archived