Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles: Westbrook No Longer Punt Return Man

China

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-eaglespuntreturnduti&prov=fanball&type=lgns

Eagles: Punt return duties shifted off of Westbrook

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Monday, May 3, 2004

News

Eagles running back Brian Westbrook finished second in the NFL and first in the NFC in punt return average last season, but the team is not positioning Westbrook for another shot at the title. The team used this past weekend's minicamp to audition new punt returners, as Westbrook's expanded role in the running game will keep him from those duties. Backup runner Reno Mahe is the favorite for the job according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. The Eagles are also trying out new kick returners, as Westbrook and departed receiver James Thrash were their top kick return men in 2003.

Views

This news is not at all surprising, and it's good that the Eagles won't ask the injury-prone Westbrook to handle those extra duties. We're expecting Brian to be the team's primary runner in 2004, although Correll Buckhalter will certainly get plenty of carries as well.

Originally posted by lolhahaha

SO they are going to use Westbrook as the primary Rb next year?

He'll split time with Buckhalter and the word is that they're waiting for the June first cuts to add another. The funniest was I heard Ricky Watters was interested in coming out of retirement and has spoken with the Eagles.

Don't think they'll be as productive during returns but may make up for that yardage with him as the primary back. Buckhalter will probably see more time than they are saying though. Westbrook is dangerous out of the backfield but his past injuries make him questionable. Still have respect for the hometown kid from Dematha.

Navy Dave,

No China is not a chick's handle. Its origins are based on my initials ROC, which if you look at the underside of alot of cheesy plastic merchandise will say something like "Made In Taiwan, ROC" So you see, I make alot of crap. But anyway ROC=Republic of China, hence the name.

Sorry for the longwinded explanation.

Edit: BTW I am not an Eagles fan. I simply posted Eagles info as it is always good to know what your enemies are up to.

Originally posted by NavyDave

Now if he is going to used as primarily a 3rd down back that would be interesting

ND,

There's no way that Westbrook will be used more on third downs. He will share the RB load with Buckhalter. For better or worse, that's how Reid likes to use the RB's. However, Westbrook is a scoring threat from anywhere on the field. It's very likely that he will go in motion or split out as a WR, with Buckhalter in the backfield. Owens-Smith/Mitchell (slot)-Westbrook(slot)-Pinkston. That's very difficult to defend, unless a team is in nickel. You can't put a LB on any of them, so you're stuck in man-to-man coverage or a loose zone against 2 decent receivers and 2 excellent receivers - deadly 12-20 yards downfield. Of course, Reid will call a dive to Buckhalter in this situation, and pass out of a two receiver set. ;)

I'm sure Westbrook will return a punt or two, when absolutely necessary, similar to what Darrell Green used to do.

Ok

This gender neutral name era is driving me nuts.

Leslie and shannon are bad enuff .

But I understand the name matching the job description.

I just hope a guy who job is placing fudge in easy to transfer containers don't sign up here as fudge packer

Archived